on 17 May 2006
Right - where to start?

1. Poor acting and script

2. Rip off from much better films

3. Poor editting and camera work (how many times does that camera swing round and is it my eyes or are the 'action' scences cut to pieces?

This film has got to one of the worst I've seen recently. Poor shot, acted and scripted, it stinks. The story is, I'll give it this, pretty original (to a certain extent) but as previous reviewers have pointed out, accuracy has been sacrificed for the story - a poor swap in my opinion.

Predictable with a cheesy ending.

Want a scary film about caves - go watch "Descent".

As there is no "zero" stars rating it gets one from me - am now off to sell my watched once copy!
on 28 May 2006
I don't see why so many seem to hate this film - it is a good action film, excellent monsters, and really good ending. Sure the acting will never win any Oscars, but who cares - they just run around in caves dodging monsters...I thought they were really good at running around, getting eaten, and blowing things up. Excellent brainless fun - get a few beers in, popcorn, turn the lights out, and enjoy!
As has been remarked before, you will be forgiven for playing spot the similarity whilst watching The Cave. If you can imagine The Descent meets Alien, with just a dash of Open Water (all of which are undeniably better films than this), you'll get the general idea. It also owes so much to Christopher Hyde's brilliant thriller novel Styx, that I was expecting it to get a mention in the credits (it didn't). So, original this certainly ain't!

On the plus side though, it is a competent and atmospheric chiller which is guaranteed to make claustrophobes curl their toes in extreme discomfort! It is also superbly filmed amidst a very impressive cave setting (somewhere in Mexico I believe). The 5.1 surround sound is also top notch - those of you with decent home cinema systems are in for a treat.

Without giving away any spoilers, I must admit to finding the ending rather weak and silly though.

Worth watching, nonetheless.
on 30 November 2005
The plot goes something like this: people get lost in cave, some get eaten by monsters, rest find a way out. That's it. No sub-plots , no twists, no nothing. Add this to acting which is very average, and you have a film that's worth avoiding.
on 10 March 2007
After reading all the reviews that panned this film, I couldn't make up my mind whether to see it or no.

Then I caught it on Sky Movies one night... And what a belter it is! Its very much a psychological horror, with some very good twists in it, the best one being kept till the end of the film! Hence the reason that I now have this movie in my DVD collection

So if you want to watch a good horror movie, which takes place in this day and age, then you won't go far wrong with this one in my opinion - It will put you off pot-holing for life!

A rattling good yarn!
on 8 May 2014
another fantastic horror film as a set of cave diverstry to plot a new caving system under water,with its air filled caverns not realising till the middle that there are creatures out to prey on they,fantastic
on 3 December 2005
Having watched the way superior 'The Descent' the week before I was taken in by the trendy advertising this film boasted - 'The next aliens?'. No no no no no! I cant find anything good to say. It starts ok theres a flash back to how it all began, but as soon as the trouble begins the acting becomes so bad its hard to watch. Terrible dialogue, a poor story (its viral), pathetic special effects, no tension and not an actor to be seen. I really would give this film no stars if Amazon would let me. Oh and what is supposed to be a twist at the end, is so bad you will want to tear your eyes out that something so bad can exist and gain a cimematic release.
on 14 December 2005
Ok so it hasnt turned out to be the next 'Aliens' but we all new that would still be impossible to beat, even though it was made in 1985. If you remove all the hype this film had before its release then you can see it for what it really is. Its a good old 'humans find new species, new species turn out to be very dangerous, new species show a preference for killing & eating us and only a few of us survive'. Weve all been quite happy with films like this before. 'Predator' is a good example of that, are you really telling me that the top notch acting from Arnie is what kept you watching? You know what your getting into with this film, its not going to challenge the old grey matter very much, and you dont always need that in a film, but there should be plenty of action to keep most happy. Give it a chance and you might just be suprised.
on 4 August 2013
I dont know how this got a 12 certificate,I think its pretty scary actually.Explorers go into a unexplored Cave system and find,they are not alone?Although,not quite as scary as Descent and Descent 2,it has its moments,with totally different creatures,but 12 certificate,id go 15 on this and while im at it four out of five stars!!!great adventure.
on 13 May 2006
This film was soooooo stupid! All the way threw it's dark and the camera moves and jurks all the time! The so called monsters look like marks on the camera, you dont really see them it's a pathetic attempt at a scary film! Don't even waste your time watching it you'll be disappointed (you can't really not be) just like me!