on 5 March 2013
The Call of Agon - Book One of the Children of Telm
Dean F. Wilson
The hurdle that every writer of fantasy fiction must face is that of being compared with the master of the genre - J.R.R. Tolkien. As soon as wizardry, dark forces or a pedigree of ancestors is detected, a disparaging cry will go up from some quarter. Dean F. Wilson need have no anxieties on this score. At no point in his first novel, `The Call of Agon', must we endure hearing about some mediocre Middle Earth. This is an original, gripping saga with, above all, deep insights into human motives and desires. Warriors - like the battle-scarred Herr'Don - contrast tellingly with characters who are not born to combat, like the poet Yavun. Iffeln is by far the most enigmatic figure, and it would not be fair to reveal too much of his pivotal role in the tale.
An air of fear often dominates the story, and Wilson depicts this debilitating emotion masterfully. The Shadowspirits drive men to madness, and they are never far away. But this is not a depressing tale, love that once shone in the Past is rekindled, faith is transformed into hope through courage. Lyrical songs are dispersed throughout the text and serve to lighten the mood. When magic appears, it is introduced subtly and unexpectedly, thus it is all the more marvellous
`The Call of Agon' tells us that dreams and reality are interchangeable, if not inseparable. The major riddle of the tale, `In whose veins does the sacred blood run?' is answered, partly with scholarly reasoning, but mostly through the logic of its own myths. Even in the midst of battle - scenes described with a skilful and dispassionate touch - profound moral questions always remain. The most powerful symbol appears at the conclusion of the tale, most fitting as the excitement does not let up until the final page...and this is only Book One!

Caduceus
on 23 August 2014
I picked this book because of the wonderful reviews it had received and for around 60% of the book could not understand what I was missing. Particularly as a number of the main characters irritated me completely (herr'don mainly) and I just couldn't understand what the reviewers were raving about . Then all of a sudden the story seemed to deepen and beneath the simple writing style a story evolved and then I understood what others had seen in the end. So my advice is stick with it you will not be disappointed. The story brings together a group of people (a cleric,a stable boy, a prince,a wizard and a knight (more join the group but don't want to spoil things) to defeat Agon ( the lichelord of darkness and shadows). Dean Wilson paints a fantastic world of darkness with elements of light. A very good read.
on 22 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and have bought the second book in the series. The second half of the novel really comes in to it's own and the action keeps on coming. I love the style of writing and the dialogue is some of the best I've read. Every character has something witty to say and everything is said so well.

I really love Herr'Don as a character - he is instantly likeable and I'm really keen to follow his story in book two. Most of the characters are well developed (the only one I would have liked to see with a bit more character is Thalla - but she was involved a bit more in the second half of the novel and hopefully Wilson has put a bit more in to her character in book two). Each character has their own personality and little quirks that I enjoyed discovering.

I particularly enjoyed the ending - I don't want to give too much away. You could feel it building up as the story went along and I thought it was a very satisfying ending. I am keen to get started on book two and hoping that it is as good, if not better, than book one.
on 6 October 2013
I'm fussy about fantasy, having been lucky enough to cut my reading teeth on some of the great books of the genre. Perhaps the key to making me sink into a book is to create a landscape in which imagination can roam. Dean Wilson achieves this beautifully with a wholly believable world, replete with its own unique mythology and history.
Then it goes deeper, and the characters take on life. The initial chapters set the scene, of course, but early in the book there are little glimpses beyond the surface to a complexity that many modern fantasies lack. This is not just a slash and burn adventure... though the adventure holds the attention on its own... It is, in the tradition of the best of fantasies, a book that will make you think about aspects of your own life in deeply symbolic terms.
When Ifferon meets Yavün he asks him a question... "Are you at peace?" Is he? Are any of us when we close ourselves away from the world? And so it begins....
Wilson's style is eminently readable, neither too heavy nor lightweight. Beautifully written and presented the story will capture your attention and imagination and leave you, as it left me, waiting for the next chapter... or indeed, the next book.
Highly recommended.
on 16 January 2015
The initial opening poetry shows a deep knowledge of the dark corners of a troubled mind and force. It creates the urge to discover what this evil is and the subsequent dialog paints a great picture by feeding the senses detail from Deans laser sharp imagination.
on 9 February 2014
The Call of Agon is a wonderfully crafted work of fantasy. The story begins with the city of Larksong being attacked by viscous hordes if evil creatures. Prince Herr’Don, the Cleric Ifferon, and a young man named Yavun escaping from the battle and into the wilds.

Their resolve is tested as they journey through evil and perilous lands on the way to safety. Safety though was only a hope. As they pressed on further, they met with new perils, met old friends, and made new acquaintances.

Not going to spoil the story for you, but needless to say that their journey to battle against the forces of the Lichelord, was not an easy journey.

The author did a terrific job of blending world building, action scenes, and shifts in the plot as the story developed. The dialogue was superb and made the reader feel closer what was happening around the unique characters in the story.

5 out of 5 Stars. An epic fantasy story to please even the pickiest of readers.

I would recommend this book to all fans of the fantasy genre.
on 7 March 2014
Epic fantasies are are my all time favorite genre. I guess I should clairify I love what they *can* be.
I always download the sample before buying, because a lot of books in this genre are just too confusing for me.

However, this one was darn near perfect! The world and characters were developed flawlessly. There was no overwhelming "information dump" in the beginning or anywhere in the novel. Everything flowed perfectly.

Mostly this story is about Ifferon. He has been hiding in a town called Larksong for the past decade. That all changes when his past catches up to him.
He escapes the attack on his town along with Price Herr'Don and young Yavun.
Thus begins the epic journey!

The next book can not come soon enough.
on 5 October 2014
A great beginning to a surely great epic fantasy! The characters are well developed and seem to leap off every page with Wilson's poetic style of language. Have only recently finished the first of the series and am eager to continue the rest of the trilogy.
A definite read for any fantasy fans!
on 10 April 2013
The call of Agon
I am rating this book 4 stars
(2nd book for April)
[...]

Firstly I was given this book for an honest review.

This is not my usual type of book to read, yes I love fantasy but I am more of a Maria. V Snyder type of girl.
The story is told through the eyes of Ifferon who is the last in the bloodline of the god Telm. The God Telm banished the Beast of Agon to the underworld. This leaves Ifferon with one destiny, which is too make sure Agon stays in the underworld, and to help him, Telm leaves him a scroll.
Danger lurks around every corner for Ifferon making his journey hard but he meets people along the way that he be-friends that makes it that bit easier.
His Journey through the world of Iraldas that the author has created is beautifully done, the description throughout the book has you almost feeling everything, yet at times I did find it was too descriptive for my liking, but in saying that still an amazing story of a world at war and only Ifferon can stop it. Throughout the story there is poetry that the author himself wrote, a sign of a very talented person. It can get a little confusing with all the different names of gods and places, but the story I could still grasp.

All in all, I have never read a book like this before, the English in it flows beautifully and has an old tongue to it, the author put a lot of hard work into it, and should be recognized for an amazing first book. I would highly recommend this book.
on 8 October 2014
I downloaded this book for two reasons - it was prominently displayed on the web page and it was free. However I only managed to get a third of the way through before I deleted it. The author doesn't seem to have an original thought in his head. The book is a mish mash of well known mythical themes dressed up in different characters - Robin Hood and King Arthur being the most obvious reference points (there is even a lady of the lake!) but a number of fairy tales and Celtic myths have also been plundered to pad out the plot. Even for free it is only worth two stars and that is being overly generous.