on 8 May 2008
I am someone who experienced body dysmorphic disorder (BDD), when you feel that you're at your lowest, and really believe that, you will never have a normal life again...This book can and will help many people. I was at my lowest point and nearly gave up, before this book was published.

After reading it! I felt yes i can now also start my recovery... with positve thinking!

Rosemary
on 27 June 2011
you will greatly enjoy this book if you are the average reader of ghost-written memoirs from pop stars / big brother stars, or if you are looking for a fairy tale on how an attractive young woman who didn't know it, entered into beauty competitions, and then discovered her beauty.

this is actually a rather upsetting tale of how a young woman's body image disorder drove her mother into pushing her daughter into a series of beauty competitions as a means of recovering from a psychological disorder. the fact that this book is out there as one of the only titles detailing body dysmorphic disorder is extremely troubling on account of the fact that the path the author took is completely contradictory to promoting positive self-image. nobodies self-image should be based on how they are judged in a competition, and certainly not somebody with bdd.

i did not find this to be inspirational: not everybody with bdd can enter into beauty competitions and win - even those who DO can only fit that criteria for a limited amount of time. it is difficult to relate in many of the situations given in this book: the only one i could relate to in my bdd, was the fantasy of being attractive enough to be in such a competition. but we shouldn't feel we have to have our looks validated by anybody in order to be free.
furthermore, even if everyone with bdd COULD win beauty competitions, winning a beauty competition isn't going to cure them of body dysmorphic disorder. recovering from this condition takes going in the direct OPPOSITE direction from things like makeup, which we use to camouflage our perceived flaws.

the images on the sleeve of this book are also disconcerting: a lot of makeup, provocative clothing (she is donning a bikini and a sarong on the back - for a book on bdd, this is not something i feel comfortable taking on the train!), and photoshop. this is more reminiscent of the "perfected" images of women we are confronted with from the media on a daily basis, rather than an image we can realistically look up to.

she should surely be seen wearing no makeup and no glamour as a means of shouting to the world "i don't need this anymore!" - conversely, it appears that these things which characterize the darkest depths of battling with bdd are promoted and used to boost sales rather than given up.

i don't believe that the course of action taken in this book should be promoted to people with this conditions as some kind of wizened path.

i don't suggest reading this if you are battling with bdd, are serious about recovery, and wish to indulge in a memoir from a person who has recovered and can shed light on recovery.
on 5 April 2008
This book is truly motivational and inspirational because it does not only talk about the medical issues around this girls illness but gives you an insight to the every day build up that could have contributed to this type of illness.

In the book the girl talks about so many things that happen in lots of peoples lives, that we all take for granted starting from us as Parents, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers, Friends and Family's in general.

It seems to me that we can all makes mistakes in life and till we read a book like this we may not always notice!

If you're ready to begin to overcome past experiences and choices that are holding you down... Then I would say that this book would be a good read for you!

This inspiring story will help you begin to institute that desired change - within yourself

This is definitely one of the books that will uniquely charge you to begin to recognise and nullify long-held, counterproductive limiting thoughts, and self-doubt.

When this book came to my attention I was first impressed by the cover-but you know what they say... "You can't judge a book by its cover" What it means is that before you can judge something, you need to take a deeper, closer look at it.

The book also talks about against size zero models, which is a much-needed subject, as I am a larger person.

Excellent read!
on 24 May 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book as it helped me understand BDD which I never knew much previously about. A humbling and admirable read.
on 24 June 2013
Amazing read which highlights the struggle of many young people. A story of inspiration and hope for others struggling. A Must read
on 29 March 2014
Really good read. Could not put the book down. Very interesting and heart warming would highly recommend extremely good book
on 8 November 2012
Gives an insight into how a mental health disorder can suddenly spiral out of control but how it can be overcome
on 26 September 2014
Loved this item really good read of a book would read it again
on 6 November 2010
While I have struggled with BDD since age 11. Dianosed at age 12, there was time I would stick giant bandages on my face because I was so ashamed of my face. while racheal wore a veil, something i never did I would often wear makeup so heavy it was ridiculous or a surgical mask. What caused it? Bullying. I was Re-reading the book this week, I realised past abuse, from home, a boy freind or peers when we where younger are the root of such serious issues. Bullying issues where so bad, the kids at school held my head in a sink shoved me into walls, I guess i can relate to having such serious matters like glass broken in her face. Racheal had mentioned doing an artical and the news paper was titled The ugly Disease and she was compleatly mortified. 5 Years ago i intervied for a huge magizine and they put on the front cover "i was to ugly to leave the house", though i was happy to raise awareness on my issues I was compleaty mortified and had a huge panic attack.

Hope all is well. I find it very confusing how any one as gorgeus as Racheal could hate the way she looks. and recovering from image disoder and abuse is difficult.

Meg
55 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 March 2008
My Sister gave me this book to read and said I would enjoy it. She was right. I couldn't put it down. I thought the butterfly girl is so real and I really cared what happened to her in her poor life as a young girl. I think we can all identify with this girl one way or another. This young girl makes you realise how fragile life can make you. It really stays in my mind and I'm sure I'll read it again and again. A lovely book.

This book is a gem! It is a wonderful, easy read well worth reading!

Jo
55 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse