on 9 April 2014
I spotted Prince of Thorns while killing time in a bookshop in London, and was intrigued by the idea of a fantasy protagonist that wasn't a good person, so I bought this kindle compilation.

Some people have been put off by Jorg's relentless nastiness and lack of any sort of respect for others. He's also been accused of being a misogynist, but I don't think that's right. He will use/kill anyone for his own ends. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. For me one of the joys of the books is gradually getting an understanding of why he is the way he is through learning about key events in his past.

The way Lawrence splits the Jorg's story into different timelines that are told concurrently is very interesting, and keeps the different elements nicely separated until the denouement of each book.

In terms of the setting I like the way what initially seems to be a fantasy setting quickly reveals itself to be a future Europe after a thermonuclear war and gradually incorporates more and more sci-fi elements. It's nice to have an explanation for how the "magic" works, even if we never really learn specifics.

All in all I really enjoyed both books, and the fact that I kept reading King of Thorns until nearly 4am in order to get to the end one night should tell you what you need to know about how engrossing I found them. It's been a good while since the last time that happened to me.
on 7 June 2014
Jorg is the most unlikely hero, with questionable morals and dreadful deeds to his name. At the same time he tone of the most compelling characters I've read since George Martin's cast. More than that - his entire world is populated with equally well-rounded characters, playing out an intricate dance of politics and war on the personal and universal level. These books are very well written, and although at times difficult to read (due to multiple concurrent timelines), they are well worth it. I will definitely look out for anything by Mark Lawrence.
on 1 June 2014
I'm a major fan of Game of Thrones and I'm waiting for the next book to be published..... While I searched to see if there was a publication date I found the Prince of a Thorns ... And I haven't been disappointed ... It's on par with Game of Thrones and in some places exceeds even the nastiest character there has been so far. You hate and despise Jorgy in equal measures ... But in the end you will love him. I've almost finished the 2nd of the 3 books ...
How will it all end ...?
on 18 August 2013
Fast paced , interesting, kept me guessing, highly recommended.

Great characters form the story and kept me wanting to read just one more page.
on 11 October 2013
A very well written couple of novels for anybody into Fantasy type books. I enjoyed it that much have ordered folllow up Emperor of Thorns.
on 5 September 2013
Really interesting anti hero and good character progression. Could not put down. . Looking forward to reading last in series.
on 11 February 2014
There are many reasons to like this book but in the end, for me, the most important is the quality of the writing which is excellent. The story is compelling and Jorg is a character that whilst you would not want to meet him, you do want to know what happens to him. So that said, I'm off to buy the next one now!!
on 4 December 2013
I had never heard of Mark and simply liked the sound of the books - they were well written and exactly what I like. Going to order number 3 right now!
on 21 June 2014
mega read, brilliant author. first books I have read by this guy,and I enjoyed every page. looking forward to the next one
on 2 June 2014
Worth a read. I love the fact that the main character is flawed/bad and the way that the author deals with torture/rape and other wickednesses using an unusual blend of irony and humour.
Unusual book.
My only criticism is that perhaps too many of the characters are rather one dimensional and that the author did not need to try and explain the existence of his world but otherwise easy to suspend disbelief and enjoy!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse