VINE VOICEon 12 April 2014
I had read a chapter of this book in a Sunday newspaper. I pre-ordered the paperback edition of the book and was not disappointed.

I’ve read quite a few ‘Auschwitz’ stories and the majority of them are quite horrible (for want of a better word).

This is told by Leon Leyson whose given name was Leib Lejzon and is a compelling read of how he and most of his family survive the holocaust and are helped by Oskar Schindler. He has to stand on a wooden box to work the machinery. He was only 10 at the time and the youngest person to appear on ‘Schindler’s list’. There is a photograph of the list in the book along with family photos.

He survives and that is what’s amazing. In one of the chapters Leon is whipped and you are willing him not to lose track of counting up to 25 or the whipping will start again. I found the start of chapter 9 quite hard: “ Gross-Rosen Concentration Camp, only 175 miles north west of Krakow but more than one million miles from the civilised world. October 1944. I am naked. My head is shaved. I am shivering from cold and fear. I am surrounded by total darkness. Gradually night turns to day and I am still naked ………………”

It’s a shame that Leon died without knowing that his memoirs would be published.
on 9 October 2013
I ordered this book because I read a review and am always interested in understanding what happened to the Jews in Poland.
It was so well written that I couldn't put it down and read it in a day. It is a very sad story, but also illustrates the courage of Schiller in his efforts to save his Jewish workers and their families.
I would recommend this book to anyone, to remind them of the horrors of war and how we must all do all we can to prevent such atrocities happening to the Jews again in our I lifetime.
on 16 June 2017
Very much enjoyed this book of such a good and gentle family.I n spite of the horrors they lived
through, they came out of it as the decent people they always were. They became wonderful
American citizens, Mr. Leyson raised a beautiful family, and thay have all made the world a
better place by surviving the Holacaust. God bless them.
on 9 April 2015
This is a must read. A moving story of a small boys account of surviving the holocaust . The pictures of Leon and his family at the end of the book are a lovely touch. This book had me in tears for the pain Leon endured and also the happy life he had thereafter even thou he re lived his sad experience many times to educate the world of the atrocities of the war upon the Jewish people.
on 12 July 2015
This book deserves more than 5 stars, an amazing story of survival over evil, the telling of 10 year old Leon's life during the 2nd world war is truly inspirational. From German invasion, restriction in the ghetto, selection and internment in concentration camps, starved and beaten, and the threat of death at any time he survived, and makes it onto the now famous Schindlers List along with other members of his family. An unforgettable story, sad, and upsetting but a must read for any-one who wants to learn the truth about this terrible period in our history,
on 27 May 2014
I decided to read this on my Kindle after coming back from a holiday in Poland where we visited Krakow and Auschwitz, so my interest in this book was fired up. Leon Leyson has written his story so well and it is very sad and poignant reading his memories. However, without spoiling the book for possible readers, out of human wickedness, shines faith, kindness and goodness. Thank you Leon for sharing your story for others to read.
on 15 July 2015
Coming from a Polish family I know of my father's fight for survival in Poland during the second world war,and going on to fight with the Polish forces in Italy at the Battle for Monte Cassino in 1944 and to make a new life for himself in England after the war.
on 15 September 2013
A wonderful account by Leon Leyson of his terrible experiences during World War 2 - unbelieveable that anyone survived the harsh conditions and treatment. Made me feel very humble.
on 30 July 2017
Good reading
on 12 November 2017
I loved the book from word 1 , it is so hard to even think what life must have been like for the people who lived through this horror