on 2 March 2008
I think it must be me who's missing something here... I completely disagree with the negative reviews on here. I think the Bourne trilogy is one of the strongest I've seen for years and that includes the 'cash cow' that is the Mission Impossible. Matt Damon is very convincing in this role and although I think The Bourne Identity is still my favourite of the three, this really was a great ending. It's non-stop action all the way and a keep-you-guessing plot throughout. I loved the long action sequences and the shaky camera style which really adds to the atmosphere. You also really get a sense of the locations that are used in the film too - loved all the shots in Tangiers! There are plenty of other action movies out there right now, but if you want well thought out, directed and excuted action sequences - and a good thriller then the Bourne Ultimatum is for you.
on 7 April 2008
Matt Damon was never on my list of favourite actors until The Bourne series. It's a cliché I know but Matt Damon was born to play Jason Bourne. I think that no film he's been in before or since has fitted him quite as well. For me, Matt Damon delivers his best performance yet in The Bourne Ultimatum.

If you are a fan of the first two Bourne movies, you will not be disappointed by The Bourne Ultimatum. For those who have seen the first two installments this installment fits all the information you've gathered in 'Identity' and 'Supremacy' and we finally see the full picture of Jason Bourne's troubled past.

The Bourne Ultimatum has a great plot and with fantastic action and fight sequences Ultimatum ranks as one of the best action movies of 2007.
on 6 September 2007
The Bourne series has been a refreshing change to the plot-light, action-heavy spy thrillers of recent years. The Bourne Ultimatum completes the trilogy with a thrilling and often dazzling finale as Jason Bourne (Matt Damon) is forced to re-emerge following a journalist's attempt to uncover operation Black Friar, a top secret upgrade linked to Project Treadstone; the central piece to Bourne's exploits in The Bourne Identity (Doug Liman, 2002) and The Bourne Supremacy (Paul Greengrass, 2004).

The appeal of Bourne lies within his vulnerability as a hero and the film's sustained emphasis on his role as an underdog versus the ruthless power of the CIA. As if a battle of wits against America's criminal intelligence agencies is not enough, Bourne also has a continual struggle with amnesia as he tries to remember his dark past.

It is a shame that the films opening twenty minutes suffer from awkward, uneven scene changes which undermine an otherwise convincing plot. Although director Paul Greengrass excels in his ability to create tension and drama in key scenes, it is a significant blunder to manufacture a high tempo by hurried and perplexing globe-trotting.

Where the Bond franchise has invariably bored less dedicated fans with its utter predictability and invincible protagonist, the Bourne trilogy offers a welcome difference in its edgier, twist-driven plots and smart, complex hero. That said, The Bourne Ultimatum doesn't sidestep all of Bonds errors; the CIA staff are unbelievably daft and some of the film's finest and most compelling scenes are only just carried by Greengrass' skill in the director's chair. It does well not to fall into the wearisome technology-heavy world which 24 is occupying and stays a safe distance from the embarrassing geek-fest that was Live Free or Die Hard (Len Wiseman, 2007).

It is the action sequences though that set The Bourne Ultimatum apart from other films of its type. As The French Connection (William Friedkin, 1971) marked new ground in edgy, gritty, realistic car chases; the Bourne films have re-invented the concept. Greengrass' in-your-face camera work can be tedious in its overuse but is superbly employed here.

The Bourne Ultimatum was the last book Robert Ludlum wrote before he died and superb as the film trilogy has been, lets hope that a Hollywood obsessed with sequels will resist the temptation to continue the saga and spoil what has been an enthralling series.
on 1 April 2008
I have to say that this is best movie I have seen in quite a while. Loads of action, great story, Matt Damon in great form. I love it. The three Bourne movies, taken together must be the best trilogy around, each one being a cracking movie on it's own.
This particular film is intertwined with the second film, not that you have to see the second on to enjoy it, but it does help to understand it better.
It's as well that the James Bond series has recently been revamped because they were definitely looking tired compared to the Bourne films. I would recommend this film.
on 2 January 2008
Wonderful. It just keeps on getting better., every new Bourne film improves on the last and this is, without a doubt, the best of them. being able to keep the now uniquely Bourne type of action throughout the whole film is a feat, but combined with excellent actors, stunts, twists and turns throughout the whole film is absolutely STUNNING and makes for great watching every single time!

The best bit of this movie? Got to be the rooftop chase ending in a hand to hand fight. Put up against last winter's Casino Royale's opening chase with the free running Bourne wins hands down!! I'm not saying that Bond's wasn't amazing, but Bourne's explodes (literally) from another chase sequence and one with edge of your seat tension that I have only experianced in Bourne films.

Definitely my Film of 2007 and everyone should see it!!
on 25 June 2015
The Bourne triology are all gripping if you like that format. This final part seals the story, subsequent attempts at this theme don't quite cut it for me. Well produced and on Blu ray a really engrossing watch. Excellent
on 28 December 2007
This has all the same elements as The Bourne Supremacy. Great action sequences, chases, double-crosses, clever spy stuff etc etc. Maybe that's why I ended up feeling a bit let down by it. The fights scenes were pretty good but were hard to follow as the camera flipped all over the place. I realise this adds to the chaos of the scene but a little less would be good. In addition, the plot was re-used as well. I don't think there was anything in this film which wasn't in 'Supremacy'.
I really really liked The Bourne Identity. It was clever and gritty with explosive scenes interspersed with good, well acted dialogue. I felt the snow, cold, tiredness, confusion and even understood the love interest.
With the Bourne Supremacy, I felt sympathy for Jason Bourne and was rooting for him all the way. However, with the Bourne Ultimatum the human element is lost and its a straight-forward, 'good but not great' action film.
on 17 May 2015
A great action movie which I loved. I did try watching it using the HD-DVD playback software installed on my PC and every time it crashed this app (despite the fact other HD-DVD's played back fine using that software) - hence it didn't get 5 stars.
on 6 January 2008
The Bourne Identity was a superb film - one of my all time greats. The Bourne Supremacy, while not as good, was still an excellent film. Sadly the Bourne Ultimatum is not in the same league as the previous two films.
It is very difficult to folow the story line as the scenes dart about all over the show. Two minutes into the film and I had to rewind to the beginning to check that I had actually started at the beginning ! Fifteen minutes in and I still hadn't much of a clue what was going on - other than Bourne's on the run and the CIA are after him - but we knew that anyway.

The camera work in this film is appalling. The scene shots are so short it doesn't give you time to take in what's going on. And during the action scenes the camera is hosepiping all over the place, so all you actually see is a blurry mess. I constantly found myself saying "For God's sake put that camera on a tripod and keep it still so we can see what's really going on !"

The plot was quite good, just badly executed. Bourne is superb at running rings around the CIA, but how the hell did he get into the CIA building undetected ?

One of the things that made the original Bourne film so good was that it was realistic - you could actually believe that the events that happened could really happen. Not so with the Bourne Supremacy. Can't give specifics without giving the game away to those who haven't seen it yet, but the car chase in the original film is far more believable than the messy stunts in this film. Suffice to say that this film has gone the way of many modern films - it runs more like a fast action arcade game than a realistic movie. Such a shame as the potential was there to make it really entertaining.

My biggest regret is that I forked out extra cash for the high def version of this film - totally wasted on all the blurry action scenes !

I have seen the first two films over and over again because they inspire me to do so. Having seen The Bourne Ultimatum once, the DVD will now sit on a shelf for a long, long while.
on 16 December 2013
The basic plot line is just a rehash of the Bourne Supremacy. It's a good film and while I'm sure it's an accurate adaptation of the novel the author seems not to have been inspired to produce something truly original.

It is an action movie that overshadows Bond films in it's believeability and as a result it is far more entertaining.