Customer reviews

on 12 May 2017
I love it.
on 1 January 2013
I chose this book in hardback having lost my paperback, it has some wonderful insights and teaches new way of looking at things. Ralph Blum is an amazing writer and spiritual teacher.
on 31 July 2017
Excellent condition
on 23 May 2014
I bought this book because it was included in the bibliographies of other books I've read and it had full marks from the three previous reviewers here on amazon.co.uk. I wish I had read the reviews on amazon.com before buying because I'm in agreement with the folks there who don't like it.

Blum presents the runes in his own sequence (inspired by an occasion when he pulled them randomly from a bag after asking the cosmos for guidance) rather than the traditional and historical sequence known as the futhark. He later tries to justify this with a vision that he had... which to me comes across rather like somebody arguing that the order of colours in a rainbow comes about as a result of Richard of York's exploits on the battle field. He also states, apparently without the cringing embarrassment that it warrants, that he consulted the I Ching to get a better understanding of the runes. WTF!

It's a very pretty book with it's hard cover and gold embossed writing... and if you want somebody else's made up as he went along understanding of the runes then go for it.

In fairness: this book was written at a time when there wasn't much around on the subject. It has no place on a modern bookshelf. There are MUCH BETTER sources of information.

I didn't list my copy in the second hand section as I believe that what goes around comes around; so I don't want to inflict it on anybody else. Mine went in the recycle bin.
on 16 February 2010
'The Book of Runes' provides a background to the origins of the Runes and how to do casting It then provides individual interpretation for each Rune and importantly includes interpretation of the Rune Reversed. This book reveals the depth of the Runes.

Interpretations can at first appear cryptic. I often need to read, re-read and ponder on the meanings. To me, that is the essence of Runes.

I purchased a second hand book . The book I recieved is of a brown/ red fabric and has a good feeling to it as if it has passed through many hands on it's journey to me and I love that about it. Personally I feel 'The Book of Runes' is progressing my journey in developing trust, patience and intuition.

I hope you find this helpful to your own personal journey. Corinne
review image
on 21 June 2015
This little book is a little treasure. Many will say the meanings are not correct, but they are actually quite close and quite good for a brief understanding. Just remember there are many aspects and layers to Runes. Your experience & understanding of them will go deeper the more you work with them over your lifetime.. respect and love them.
This book has a wonderful energy behind it X
on 21 August 2015
Lovely, in-depth explanations of each Runic symbol, explanations of the many readings you can use them with too and some of the history of the symbols and how they were used. Very pleased with this. In my opinion THE go to book for all things Runic.
on 16 September 2003
I have used, in conjuction with my Runestones, this book, since 1987..I have been allowed to help many people.......many not known personally to me, to progress to Self Fulfilment..........Unfortunatley, my book has, 'left me'.......this is OK.............it is telling me I have to take time for myself...........but I miss my book.IT IS POWERFUL.....The RUNES ARE POWERFUL...........I know all of you that understand will know what I am saying..........Get this book...........You will be amazed.........
on 27 April 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed both this book and it's 'sister book' "The Healing Runes".
on 7 August 2014
just as i expected. A good reference book and a good read. Thankyou.