on 8 October 2017
This is one of the most important books I've ever red. It says "Training and racing" on the cover, but if you expect tables and graphs with explicit training plans, look elsewhere. Also be warned that it is very dense - it took me several months to absorb all the pages and still finding new ideas based on it. It is basically about the health itself since this is the most important for sport - and for living, too. However, I doubt anyone in "good condition" would praise the book, I suppose it takes some time fighting health or fitness troubles... For some years I practiced sport using heart rate monitor, following best advices out there, BUT with no actual improvements in fitness or health (or both). Than, last year I had some household work to do, using a pickaxe and a shovel. I thought this would ruin my body. But guess what? After few weeks I was shocked to find out my condition approved a lot (and I mean *a lot*) and got worse when I finished. Heh, where is the problem??? WTF? Is it hard afternoon work? Or several glasses of water I have to absorb? How is digging actually compared to proper cycling with HRM???
So I started to look for some explanations. And I found this book and it answered all of my questions and a whole lot of the others. Training method works suprisingly well and reminds me of my youth, when I used just a "feeling" since no devices were invented yet. And still, sport was enhancing my health in a great way and have been a pleasure for me. Now it is again! My fitness improved a lot during last 8 months using Maffetone method. I can compare my cycling using Strava and rowing (indoor) - both are way different than last year. And more important, there is a chapter dedicated to nutrition. Full of thoughts and inspiration, I must say. We (family) decided to get rid of junk food, processed food, sugar, now using more fats, proteins, eggs etc... there is a lot to discuss here. Results? My belly dissapeared, I lost 20 pounds of - mostly - fat. I feel great, like *never* before, all my health problems dissapeared. Again, be warned, the book requires your active brain cells. Almost every page stopped me like "hey, this reminds me...", grabbing some science book from library. But this time, understanding whole picture and context. Truly holistic approach.
If you are looking for a book enhancing your imagination, you have some chronic health problems, you want to improve in sport *and you are willing to think about it*, this is the book for you. Probably it is not the only one, but very, very important. If you are young, looking for fast answers and fast results, look elsewhere - and return once you find you are stuck in your simple world. There are no simple answers, but you can find your own. Highly recommended!
on 1 September 2014
T.B.B.O.E.R.A.R. - Or if you find that a bit of a mouthful then simply call this book "The Bible".

This book is built upon Maffetone's holistic approach to health and wellbeing, having been a medical practitioner and working with some of the world's top athletes over a career of several decades. Everything you need to know is here.. BUT there's no training plans, no workout guides, and no sport-specific advice. Instead, what he does it outline what we all need to understand and be mindful of in order to become the healthiest human beings that we are capable of being - that means increasing your aerobic potential, being mindful of your diet, and understanding that the body is a whole and to look at problems in biomechanics and injuries in relation to the whole, not just the symptom. Improve your health in all these areas, and they give you the platform to be better endurance athletes. Maffetone's methods have been well proven down the years, but they are not sexy; in today's world where results are expected quickly they are often overlooked or glossed over in favour of "quality" work, but those who astutely follow his approach will never go wrong.
on 24 November 2015
Bought this after hearing him on a podcast. Way more info than I need as a retired runner, but just love the topic and there's so much interesting and accessible content here.

[btw -- don't buy his older books -- you only need this and the accompanying 'red' book -- he's quite open about this himself!]
on 15 February 2017
If you're thinking if buying this book you probably already know the most notable advice within it. Train at HR of 180 - age and eat well.

If like me you want detail, then get it! You won't find all the answers you want, you will need to do self - assessment using the information in it. It's weighty and padded out but there are some great chapters on injury 'theory', footwear, nutrition etc etc.
on 30 October 2017
The fundamental advice seems sound enough. Build an aerobic fitness base. The method is based upon his anecdotal experience rather than scientific testing but it seems to work. The dietary advice is based upon some dodgy science although it is not as bad as some of the guff out there from bloggers. Worth a read but I would also read peer reviewed evidence based stuff too.
on 17 June 2018
great tips for an event coming up
on 27 July 2015
Purchased to replace an earlier book of his that had and still has a large influence on the way I train. This is a bit too much autobiography for my taste.
on 18 November 2017
So far... so brilliant!
on 2 March 2012
I was recommended this book by a couple of friends at my running club. I recently moved up to the fastest group and was surprised to find that they did not train any faster than our group, but that they did train by their heart rate instead. It's a great technique, simple to implement and works wonders for your times and overall fitness.

The book is full of all the information that an endurance athlete needs to perform to his or her best.

FANTASTIC
on 23 July 2015
WAs ok but felt I already knew a lot of the contents , repeated few things but in different chapters
One person found this helpful