on 2 November 2012
I thought my own CV was quite good, but after getting no responses when I sent it out to various companies I decided to do a proper job and got this book to help me. What a transformation my CV has undertaken! It appears I had broken nearly every rule when writing a CV. Thankfully, I've now set that straight after reading The CV book, and so far I've had three offers of interviews. I'm soooo pleased I bought it. Would recommend it to anyone thinking of writing or rewriting their CV. It was an easy (and quite humorous) read. I got The Cover Letter Book too, and I think that definitely helped to secure the interviews.
on 25 February 2013
I must say I found this book very, very average indeed. As a professional recruiter who is often helping people to rewrite their CVs I thought it would be a good book to make sure I am structuring things in the right way and might give me some hints and tips I had not thought of. Sadly, I found the book very disappointing, if you are looking to get a job in a shop or a factory it will probably help but if you are a senior manager / director / CxO in any profession with 10 + years experience behind you, it will be a complete waste of money as does the book does not focus on any of the main points that senior hiring managers look for now days. I also honestly don't know how this book is so long, as it is 95% fluff. I can only assume that the publishers have said people wont pay £10 for a book that is only a few pages long but it would be a far better guide if it was. In short if you have not the faintest idea about a CV then it is worthwhile, I suppose. However, if you are looking to create a high impact sales document then you would have totally wasted your money.
on 27 October 2012
I would highly recommend this book for anybody thinking about writing their own CV. I thought writing a CV would be easy - it is just a record of my skills, qualifications and experience after all! But after staring at a blank screen for ages, I finally realised I would need some help and this book proved invaluable. The examples of CVs at the back of the book have really helped me to produce a CV that looks good whilst the earlier chapters ensured that I included only what recruiters will want to see in my new CV. I am so pleased with the result and have already had some really positive feedback from my CV!
on 24 May 2016
I have found this helpful with a number things. I tend to be a bit hopeless about selling myself and I don't tend to think that what I've done is that special. It's made me look at my CV again and I'm making changes. The reason I've given it 4 rather than 5 is that I'm not a high flyer and most of these books tend to aim at high flights. This one does but to a slightly lesser degree so I was able to benefit from it too.
on 13 November 2012
Finding myself back in the job market after time out looking after my family I found myself up against a huge amount of competition, and despite some strong experience and skills I wasn't getting interviews, or even call backs from agencies. A friend recommended this title to me and after some months without success I thought I'd give it a try. It has really made me think about the way I "market" myself. It shows how a CV can be so much more than just a biography. From simple guidance, such as tailoring your CV for each role to more sophisticated tips on style, key words and formatting this book really has proved a great help to me returning to the work force. With my new and improved CV sent out I am now getting those interviews. Well worth the money!
on 14 April 2014
This book is nothing less than inspired. It absolutely makes sense of a subject that makes no sense. What is expected from potential employers has changed dramatically in the last decade. James makes sense of the whole mess and even speaks to each country and their differences in expectations. As a Resume/CV writer, this book is sits next to me and is my first go to. You too will love it just as much. This is an absolutely must have for all Resume/CV writers and people who are writing their own. Thank you James.
on 6 May 2014
In the beginning, we thought this is another advice book. No, the author follow up in detail as to how to write effective review. Many people gave 5 stars. There is nothing to add. If you were looking for a new position, or if you were in a position to hire someone, you need this so that you can write/review CV effectively.
on 30 April 2014
I own a number of CV writing books and this is my absolute 'go-to' guide. It is extremely comprehensive and contains everything I need to know about writing a fantastic CV that will capture attention and stand out from the crowd. The writing style is very straightforward and explains everything in perfectly understandable terms! In addition, there are plenty of examples of diverse, brilliantly-written CVs to look through and a case study to guide readers through the whole book.

In a word - perfect!
on 1 August 2013
This is quite a weighty book on the subject of creating a CV and, to be fair, it does contain a lot of useful tips on presentation. However, there are many things I don't like, based on advice I have received elsewhere. First of all, I wouldn't encourage anyone to use standard templates to create a CV: the aim is to stand out from the other applicants, especially in the current job market, where competition is high. Also, the use of superlatives like "excellent" or "accomplished" on a CV is abhorrent to many potential employers. There are other problems but, if you have no idea about how to craft a CV, you could probably do worse. If you read this book as a guide, rather than a set of instructions, it is more useful.
on 4 September 2014
Let me break the taboo of not doing a product review. Due to desperation to change job I bought three different books on writing CVs and cover letters. I must say that this book is head and shoulders above the rest. Innes is exceptional and I must encourage anyone looking for a book on CVs and cover letters to look no further. This is simply the best. Keeping fingers crossed, I hope to come here and report of my big catch in the job market soon. Thank you, Mr. Innes.