on 28 August 2013
I tried to keep reading this after the first few chapters but feel that a) the writing is clichéd and unengaging, and b) the characters are not believable. The main character's purity of thought and action, and desire to escape her circumstances, are flagged up so often, and so unsubtly, that the writer might as well stand by with a mallet beating the reader over the head at regular intervals so that the point is not lost. It's easy to be critical when I'm not a writer myself, but still I failed to engage with this novel and have, most unusually, given up in the attempt.
on 9 October 2017
Loved reading this!! I waited 10 years to visit Prague and came back desperate to read of the history and legends surrounding Prague. I couldn't put it down. I lived every page with Marketa. It was exactly how I imagined how brutal and beautiful these times must have been. I can't wait to read more.
on 20 March 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this captivating read. A great mix of history brought to life with passion and intrigue. Would definitely recommend reading this!
on 16 May 2017
An atmospheric read,at times very uncomfortable. A very very good read.
on 5 August 2014
Very interesting novel, a great read and made me want to find out more on the history of the time
on 15 July 2015
A good 'holiday' read- not too taxing, but keeps you turning the pages. The ending is not hard to guess, but still nice when you get there.
on 3 August 2014
couldn't get into it................................................................................................................................................
on 27 February 2013
Okay...This book passes the time. I have lost interest and not finished it yet. I may go back to it later
on 15 May 2017
Different, well written
on 4 June 2014
I did not enjoy this book I did not think it was anything like my previous choices of reading from you, I will admit it is good to be taken from the usual reading areas, but I did not think this flowed or interesting.