Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 June 2004
As the only male nurse in our obstetrics dept' I contantly find myself being asked for advice & information from expectant fathers to be.
Even when it is one of my more than competent female colleagues that is more directly responsible for caring for the mother.
It seems that many F's2b, most of whom have already read significantly through the plethora of information out there, still hanker for a more familiar 'masculinely voiced' interpretation of what is happening to their partner (and themselves!)
At last someone has written one & one that manages to be anecdotally humourous and medically accurate at the same time.
I would and do recommend this book to any new F's2b aswell as to recent fathers, like me, who would enjoy an entertaining read.
My only gripe with the book is that I didn't write it first!
on 12 June 2004
I thoroughly recommend this book to any man (not necessarily a 'bloke') who is about to embark on that most auspicious of journeys, and even to those already hitching a lift.
Because doesn't it feel like that? That we're just along for the ride? We've done our bit now what? Every step after the 'big news' is greeted with a reaction rather than expectancy. Sure we get insights from our better halves from the multitude of guides, journals, pamphlets and advice targeted specifically for them but what about us? Huh?
The BGtP is written by a bloke specifically for us blokes with testimonials from blokes. It lays it the scenarios, facts and details in plain English with relevance to our emotions (yes we have them), financial and biological position.
I confess that I read this book in retrospect of my offspring and wish that it had been available when I was getting ready for my first; it would have had me prepped for a few of the more 'grittier' moments that you sometimes don't get in the ladies' 'Mills & Boon' guides. I wish I'd had it for my second because, seasoned as I considered myself to be, it still would have had me better prepared (no pregnancy is the same).
Therefore, upon reading, I had the luxury of hindsight and was able to laugh out loud at the wit and the sheer ridiculous situations that pregnancy can bring rather than snigger uncomfortably at what the future might hold.
This guide will help any man to better understand what his partner is going through and help those expectant women to better understand how emotionally crap and actively impotent their men could be.
on 15 November 2006
The entire bibliography of recommended further reading at the back of this book consisted of one book each by Tony Parsons, Ben Elton and Nick Hornby. If that fact alone doesn't immediately put you off ever reading a single syllable of Jon Smith, then you might enjoy this book.

"The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy" isn't entirely without merit - 200 or 300 pages matily exhorting you to spend a little less time in the pub and a bit more time helping with the washing up can only have a positive overall impact on society. Whether it will have a positive impact on your experience as an expectant father depends on whether or not you view Messrs Parsons, Elton and Hornby as spokesblokes for 21st century Britain. And whether or not you forgive clunky, cliche-ridden prose and widespread apostrophe abuse.

If your immediate response to the news of your partner's pregnancy wasn't "oh no, what about drinking beer and watching football?" then read a real book on pregnancy that treats both of you as intelligent human beings. "Your Pregnancy Bible: The Experts' Guide to the Nine Months of Pregnancy and the First Weeks of Parenthood" by Anne Deans is particularly recommended.
66 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 May 2006
I don't use the word "hero" lightly.

"Dude," on the other hand I say all the time. And, dude! Jon Smith has produced not only a baby of his own but the best snapper-related book for us blokes since Dave Barry's influential, inspirational masterpiece, Babies and Other Hazards of Sex.

The sad truth that most blokes will face at one point in their life: when the blessed miracle is upon you, you will be awhirl in overly-technical medical manuals, touchy-feely hormone tomes and glossy infant fashion magazines. What infant cares if they barf all over a designer label, anyway? These woman-written books do not mention the scourging withered upon any ordinary Joe who brings up that last point.

Is there nowhere for dudes like us to turn? Where can we get the information that we need to play a part in this life-changing event, in easy-to-digest bloke-sized pieces?

To excerpt the Bloke's Guide:

The Third Stage of Labour

Just when you think it's all over, time to get your coat and spread the good news, your partner will be asked to push again.... I am afraid that the midwife (as always) is right. The final part of labor - the expulsion of the placenta, or afterbirth - will mark the end of labour proper..... The placenta is a reddish/purople/green mess. It actually looks like something from Aliens and I was fascinated yet scared when it popped out. You can request to take the placenta home with you, but I would striongly suggest you let the hospital deal with it; or better yet call in Riply, Bishop and the rest of the team, armed with pulse rifles. (pg 176-7)

Jon Smith, you are a genius. The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy offers introductory advice on topics from X to Y to Z. Even on weird topics that I had never known were in the pregnancy alphabet, like ç and ñ! And it does it with humor and style. Dude! Class.

Jon Smith, hero, or just a bog-standard bloke doing his best in a hardcover world filled with full-color placenta pics?

I dunno. Let's hit the boozer for a few celebratory jars and jaw it over like we happy dudes do.
on 15 April 2005
As others have commented, there's astoundingly little information for men who are having babies. I have a supportive partner who nonetheless couldn't get his head around the fact that my 'symptoms' were not psychosomatic, that I wasn't just milking the pregnancy for kicks (like, I'll feign morning sickness, gain 3 dress sizes, and develop acne on my bum just cos I can). My 'bloke', as sensitive and in touch with the feminine as he is, needed a book like Smith's that he could digest "like a packet of biscuits" without too much week-by-week pregnancy detail that is so characteristic of the majority of such material. It cuts to the chase, and is absolutely hilarious. Although quite graphic in places, I fully recommend it to impending and current Mums and Dads.
on 18 February 2004
The Bloke's Guide to Pregnancy was like a relevation to me. At last there is someone out there brave enough to tackle the emotional rollercoaster that is parenthood from the male perspective. Both informative and witty, Smith's prose reveal an understanding of what it is to be an expectant father with empathy and alacrity. Quite simply chaps this book will provide answers to all those questions you have but are afraid to ask.
A well rounded and timely first work
on 16 March 2004
Pregnancy books generally cater for Mums, but what about the Dads-to-be?!
The thought of reading one of those 'What to expect when you're expecting' books just didn't do it for me. Smith's guide is informative, witty and UNIQUE. What this book does is take a light hearted yet informative look at the subject from a man's perspective and let's face it - it's a rollercoaster ride for us too! Reading about experiences other 'men' have gone through has been a real help to me as well as been hilarious at times. This is a big sigh of relief for any Dad-to-be; I'll be buying a copy for any of my mates who get that 'life changing' news from now on!
on 20 July 2005
My husband has told me to write this review after reading & rereading this book. This is a man who HATES to read! However, this book can be picked up & put down in little 'chunks' and is a handy 'toilet read' (so I have been told!!). He has already lent it out to pregnant girls at work for their husbands & they too found it very useful. It is witty, written in 'bloke speak' and not patronising. The only disappointment for my other half was that my sex drive didn't shoot through the roof in the 2nd trimester as suggested in the book.....he is still waiting (I'm now 36 weeks & look like a beached whale!!).
Worth every penny-both of you will have a laugh (and learn a few things along the way!)
on 18 February 2006
My husband typed the words 'bloke's guide to pregnancy' into google before he'd even heard of this book; he ordered it and its turned out to be brilliant, exactly what he was after. Many of the chapters in pregnancy books aimed at men are really patronising; this is really down to earth, funny, but also really helpful. We have both found it a really reassuring. The best bit is all the tips it gives in terms of the practical and emotional support pregnant women need, it made dealing with everything easy for us both.
on 9 March 2006
I can't reccommend this book enough to first time dads.
My fiance is expecting our first child and when she told me she was pregnant I felt like I had been hit by a train. The shock hits you before anything else! Once the shock wore off I was over the moon. But there were so many questions I had and couldn't really turn to anyone to ask them...
Can I still have sex without harming the baby?
Why is she going all moody?
What do I do next?
Jon Smith has written a step by step instruction manual for guys like me, and I bet like every other dad to be.
If you are going to be a dad, you need this book. Simple as that