on 16 April 2015
Director Ted Berman takes Disney in a brave new direction. No musical numbers, no girl power princesses, darkness and a sense of malevolence you never knew they had in them. But it still has Disney values of friendship and the greatness of the little guy. I was 10 when I saw this at the movies. I'd avoided Disney for being sappy (victim of Snow White poisoning years earlier). This is a very dark movie. Totally un-Disney, but all the better for it. Wouldn't recommend it for the very young as it goes to dark places. A really great, out of character venture for a studio that usually provides more saccharine stories. Real shame they haven't done more like this or ventured in this direction again. The animation was great at the time but won't necessarily satisfy the computer animated generation. No one believes me when I say this is a Disney movie. It's a real shame that for their 50th or 75th venture they don't try going out on a limb once again, it works. This was roughly the era of Willow, Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, all great kids' movies with darker edges than we'd go and see these days. Try this out, remember it's darker and the animation looks rougher than we'd like these days but see what Disney can achieve when they don't follow their own well worn path.
on 23 November 2015
I remember that I was so little when I saw this. The only memory of it was the sadness I felt but I didn't remenber what made me sad.

Many years latter I foung the books on a book fair, and the memories returned. I got the Chronicles of prydain that were used to make this animation and I got this dvd. This story became very precious to me when I realized why I was sad. It also inspired me like Neverendingstory and other books to create new worlds as an artist and writer.
on 5 August 2017
For me it's one of the best Disney movies. Excellent animation and a darker kind of story, unlike the usual Disney narrative, with a genuinely grim villain. It's a shame Disney didn't made more of these kind of movies.
on 25 July 2017
I'd forgotten all about this one and I'm so glad I found it again. Great family fun with great art work throughout.
on 9 March 2015
I used to love this film as a kid and was jealous of my cousin who had it on video lol. Great film, arrived very soon and even came with the Disney villains slip cover which I didn't expect at all!
review image review image
on 13 July 2017
Another for the collection, just love animation
on 9 April 2017
Really happy with this rare DVD a tad pricy but if completes the collection
on 10 March 2017
Great
on 30 August 2017
Very pleased with this item, thank you.
on 14 August 2017