Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 May 2011
This book is a joy to read, it really made me laugh out loud at times. This could so easily have been a really solemn, solid and worthy book, but instead, the author somehow manages to make simple Bible study a delight. The writer has produced a clear 'road map' to the 'Good Book'. He breaks it down into its component parts: explaining how it came to be written and compiled over four thousand years; highlighting the main differences between the Catholic, Protestant and Hebrew Bibles; as well as exploring many of the controversies surrounding it. I am an atheist, currently trying to discover whether there is a purpose to life, and I really got a lot out of reading this book. It made me think and challenged my mind-set. I highly recommend it to you.
on 30 January 2005
Very helpful book for people wanting to start to look deeper into the Bible. This will never replace a set of good commentaries but it was never ment to. I have this book on my "often used" shelf above my desk. Fr. Gareth Bowen.
on 24 September 2009
Having never read any of the .....for dummies books,I wasn't sure how accessible they would be.If all the ....for dummies books are like this one then I would whole heartedly recommend the range.I found this book very readable and very thorough exactly what I wanted from this book. On the down side I did find this book slightly patronising but I guess it is very hard to balance the subject.Overall very pleased!
on 7 June 2008
I bought this book originally as I wanted understand a bit more about the Bible, I am relatively new to the Christian faith and while I do study the Bible on a regulary basis and attend group discussions, I find I am often missing out on the context that passages are set in. Both in terms of history and relevance to other parts of the Bible. This books sets out very clearly the different sections of the Bible and tells you in plain, and often humourous language, what was happening at this particular point in history and what it meant for people then and what it means for Christians (and others) now. It walks yout through the Bible and explains things in sequence and builds up into a comprehensive knowledge base. I have found it very useful for helping me to deepen my understanding of relevant parts of the Bible, though I would stress that it is not enough to read this on its own, you really do need to study the Bible itself if you every really want to learn about God and study His word.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2009
Do not be put off by the title,this is an interesting book for both long time Christians, new Christians and those who just have a general interest in the bible.It is clearly and interestingly written, amusing and yet contains good practical comments and advice.It summarises all the bible books as well as more detailed comments on topics and characters from both the old and new testaments and provides some good statistics on a range of subjects.Definitely worth a read and useful as a reference and resource book.
on 31 August 2010
I bought this book wanting to learn more about the context, themes and stories of the bible and have been very impressed with this book. It's an accessible read, easy to dip in and out of and genuinely funny too. A great book for those who know a bit about the bible (I went to church until my early teens) but want to learn more without (or to accompany) reading a standard bible.
on 20 July 2009
I am only at Ch.7 as I am reading 'The Book' alongside. I am reading this for pure interest as I do not consider myself religious. There are some irreverent comments and which may offend v. religous people. I would feel all religions would find this a useful tool and if you are a student of humanities then add this to your booklist
on 3 July 2012
Now, bear in mind that I am an out-and-out atheist, who just happens to have a peculiar interest in biblical history; so when I say that this is an excellent book, then you can be certain that there is no religious bias to that view. In other words, this is book is for anyone, of any religion, or even the completely irreligious, such as myself. If you want to familiarize yourself with the bible's stories and general content, and gain a little insight in to the theological perspective behind the narratives, without getting bogged down in its often "incomprehensible" prose style, then this is the book for you. Moreover, it also provides fascinating background information throughout. It is in essence a summary of the bible presented without being in any sense preachy and maintains a fairly neutral theological stance; in fact, it is written in a light, (sometimes slightly irreverent) manner, being laced throughout with a gentle humour, which though a bit hit and miss and "Americanised", consistently gave me a wry smile and even an occasional laugh out loud! I therefore, highly recommend it.
on 21 December 2011
This book is exactly what it says it is. It coversmost of the stories and gives you a very basic outline of who the main charachters are and the stories.it also has some help points and information and is very enjoyable to read. The subject matter is easy to find and a must have for anyone who doesn't have the time or patience to try and decipher the bible
on 9 July 2014
Very good especially for those who are unfamiliar with the detail of their Bible because they did not go to Sunday school in their childhood, has become a very useful reference when reading the Bible also would imagine as modrern schools seem to be discounting Christianity and modern parents are not sending their children to Church or Sunday School very useful again as a reference book to undrstand literary and historical references when studying Literature and History.