Customer reviews

on 15 June 2014
I have always been a fan of Wilko's guitar playing, but have to admit I didn't know he made his own albums. After reading the reviews I decided to give it a go, and wow how have I missed this. Thank you to all the other reviewers for pointing it out to me, I'm now adding my 5 stars.

I must admit when I first put it in the cd player I was a little surprised, I had never heard Wilko singing before and must admit his voice did throw me a little. Don't get me wrong it's not an awful voice it just seemed a little odd to me at first, but I stuck with it as his guitar playing is excellent and the whole sound of the band will get you dancing around the room (Ok I lied there, I don't dance around the room as I'm knocking on a bit now) but I bet you cant keep your feet still whilst listening to it.

Once I got to CD2 I was getting used to Wilko's voice and instead of me thinking it was odd , I know started to think it was brilliant and worked perfectly. When you listen to the lyrics and push the guitar at the back of your mind (If you can) you find his voice was made for the songs, the only problem I have with it is, my wife keeps telling me to turn it off as I'm like a kid with his first single, (I just can't stop playing it)

Yep five stars from me too, and I'm glad I found even if the wife isn't.

Fred.
on 3 May 2014
A terrific run through of Wilko classics, and an interesting companion to the recent Going back Home album with Roger Daltrey. Good to hear the great man singing his own tunes- and lots more to come please Wilko!
on 26 April 2016
Good run-down of Wilko's post Dr Feelgood era work plus some classics re-recorded with Norman Watt-Roy's excellent bass lines (great addition if you already have the 70s material - though WJ's vocals admittedly take a little bit of getting used to).
on 26 May 2014
Utterly brilliant. In fact far, far better than the Roger Daltry collaboration. If you can only buy one Wilko Johnson album, this is most definitely the one to go for.
on 14 April 2014
I just want to clarify a couple of things about this release:

The title is a bit naughty as it implies it's a 'best of' compliation from Wilko's entire recording career, when in fact most of these are re-recordings of songs you may have heard in different guises from Dr Feelgood releases and indeed Wilko Johnson releases.

This is NOT a CD + DVD release. It is 2 x CD.

This material has been released previously as The Best of Wilko Johnson Vol 1 & 2. This is a re-packaging of those releases as one set.

Ok, done that. So. having just listened to this, I would say it is up there with the greatest rock'n'roll records ever. This is Wilko in absolutely mesmerising form, with hypnotic riffs coming from his singing, ringing guitar in quite dazzling varieties.

And there is a depth to Wilko's songwriting that is the equal of Dylan's: just listen to the love song sequence Cairo Blues-Paradise-Keep On Loving You. It's like a rhythm and blues version of Blood On the Tracks!!!

One could quibble that a record called The Best of Wilko Johnson without The Whammy deserves a legal action under the Trades Descriptions Act, but that would the miss the essential point of this release: to present the songs as Wilko has performed them with his superb band during the last few years.

I have been thinking of the great albums of the rock era: Highway 61 Revisited, Exile On Main St, etc etc... This is up there with the best of them.

These recording were pretty much ignored when first released as separate volumes. Now they will hopefully be appreciated as what they are. This is one of the greatest records ever made.
11 Comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 August 2015
a good overview of his music
on 30 July 2014
Strong songs,great and unique guitar style,not convinced by the singing but I can live with it,if Wilko got together with Mick Jagger it would be the dream team.
on 16 June 2014
obviously released due to the success of the album with Roger Daltrey.(which is a five star album.) but good all the same.
on 28 August 2014
Rebranding of previously released single albums. If you have not got the originals then well worth the money.
on 9 February 2016
Wow what an amazing CD, wish I'd picked up on Wilko Johnson years ago. Brilliant listen. It's music that'll lift your spirit.