on 20 September 2010
Bill Turnbull describes his 'Apiaric' adventures with a touch of wry humour.
It is funny, thought provoking and informative. His wife must have the patience of a saint as he describes in a hilarious fashion the harvesting of honey in a completely unprepared kitchen - as only a man can...oblivious in his lack of foresight as to the abject mess this intails.

His experiences with a "bad tempered" colony are as most experiences with bad temper when you leave the culprit(s) alone to stew...read the book to find out.

Oh, and bees dont like fish!

As one who has contemplated keeping bees as a hobby I found this book invaluable.
Although it is not a textbook Bill Turnbulls knowledge and skill as an Apiarist comes across succinctly. After reading the book I abandoned the thought of beekeeping as it is certainly not something for the amateur. The bee populous of the U.K. is under threat from many viruses, parasites and bacterium. To plod along without the prerequisite knowledge of how to identify bees who are ill or infected would risk the spread of disease to the healthy colonies of reputable beekeepers

There is a scheme whereby you can support Beekeepers by "adopting" colonies in the UK. Those who are interested in Apiary should become involved in this way instead of "bumbling along" (pun definately intended) mistakenly percieving Beekeeping as a hobby easily taken up without much experience.
VINE VOICEon 28 May 2010
Bill's writing style is as engaging and witty as his screen persona but the lexical structuring is such that he could almost be in the room with you. Amusement apart, if like me you're coming to the field of beekeeping as a complete novice it provides a real 'fly on the wall' initiation into the brotherhood. The science of hive construction and the 'what-to-expect' pratfalls of bee contact will amuse and entertain throughout. If you're looking for a holiday read with a difference I would definitely recommend.
on 14 March 2014
I have read a few other bee books about people's experiences, but this is definitely the one to buy. Not only was it entertaining and easy to read, but it was very informative as well. I am helping to deliver a beginners course in beekeeping and as I read this I kept hearing the repetition of what we had just gone through, but this was delivered in an informal and amusing way accessible to everyone. A lot of introductions to bees are very dry and technical. If you keep bees or are thinking about it go for this. I am keeping my copy and loaning it out to friends, always a good sign!
on 16 October 2017
This is a really good fun little book. A nice easy read with lots of funny moments and little stories - and you'll end up learning some beekeeping tidbits too. Turnbull has gotten the pace and sense of humour just right on this one.
on 15 September 2012
My Husband ordered the above Book from Amazon as he has just started his hobby Bee keeping. He thought the Book was great and very humorous and so I read it also. I loved the Book and laughed so much at the misfortunes that Bill Turnbull did. As I watch Morning Breakfast on BBC 1 most mornings I can see Bill Turnbull doing these things and I found the Book hilarious and so good to read. I would reccommend this book to anyone it really is a great read.

Linda Bryant
on 6 May 2012
This book is funny, informative and well written. It gives the lay-person an idea of what beekeeping involves and is cleaverly woven together with an autobiographic narrative. For those like me, who is intreged by the idea of beekeeping and is perhaps tempted to give it a try, this book gives you an little taste of what its all about, without being textbook-dry. Bill's book is full of personality and wit - read it!
on 2 March 2017
Loved reading this book. We are accidental. Bee keepers, having found a colony in a tree in our then new garden when we moved in nearly 3 years ago. This book is informative for those who don't keep bees but are interested. It also hilarious.
on 21 July 2012
My buddy is taking up be keeping. I was so interested in the conversations I had with him on bees. I then saw this book advertised on Amazon. I could not put the book down. Bill has written the book with plenty of humour. I have had some good laughs reading his experiences with bees, his family and friends. Highly amusing. Highly recommended. Enjoy.
on 28 December 2014
An amusing informative read, as a consequence being better informed I reached the decision to cancel my place on a starter bee keeping course. A thoroughly enjoyable read which I would recommend to anyone thinking of keeping bees.
on 3 June 2014
A very entertaining book...especially if you like bees or would love to keep them. Bill tells you all the pitfalls in the form of an autobiographical novel. I like Bill on breakfast tv and always thought he was a nice man. A nice easy and hilarious read.