on 1 June 2010
There are maybe 5 things I had never thought of that I picked up from this book. Thats all and this is the first book on this subject I have bought. Its all general knowledge really. Also this book [since it is written by two women] tends to have a female slant on everything, would be good to rebalance that slightly. In one bit they say that taking a towel is obviously bulky where as you could use a sarong [that they say is an essential item]. What about a microfibre towel? Pretty much everyone i know that went travelling used one of them as they are so quick to dry and so absorbant [more so than a sarong i would have thought] and pack away so small, yet there is no mention of one in here. Also digital cameras are mentioned like they a new fangled gadget, and email is mentioned as if its a similar thing. This is supposed to be revised, clearly only prices and specifics have been updated. I know some people especially younger people may not have as much general knowledge as others, but still, a bit more indepth would be good. Also half the book is devoted to a very long list of countries you could go to and a very scant bit of information about each one, point of?

The most useful bit of this was the bits at the end of each chapter which is anecdotes and tips from other travellers. The sort of thing easily found in abundance on websites on that new fangled gadget they call the internet.

I shall stop ranting, but you get the picture :O)
on 19 August 2000
I'm planning to set off on my first big trip at the beginning of next year and bought this book after seeing it recommended in The Guardian newspaper's travel section. I can thoroughly recommend it. It's full of really useful information and tips, plus addresses and phone numbers to help you sort out tickets, visas, injections, etc. What I wasn't expecting was that it would be such a good read - I thought I'd just dip into it for the information I needed, but actually ended up reading it right the way through, just like it was a novel! Great stuff. Also, it has a chapter on books to read if you're travelling in different countries, which is really handy however long you're going away for.
on 15 July 2000
We are not planning to travel until next year. I thought I'd do some background reading. This is it. Easy to read, useful, packed with info for the first timer. Just wish we didn't have to wait a year till we go! An absolute must for anyone who wants to pick up the basics, well worth the price. Don't leave home without it.
on 28 July 2013
A present for two first time backpackers and so a helpful guide to start them preparing for travelling world wide
on 29 April 2013
Seen this and thought it was perfect for a friend doing the backpackers trip around Oz, she has bought things already she didn't know she would need all due to this book. Great condition, arrived quickly but the things read in it...priceless!
on 13 July 2014
Very good and useful...:-) it's a thumb up from me!!
on 1 July 2000
I've been thinking about travelling for some time now...but after reading this book, I'm DEFINITELY going...it's incredibly informative and a really good read....BUY IT!
on 7 September 2013
It gives you many good tips to help you prepare for your trip of a life time. Condition and service very pleased.
on 26 October 2015
A good book to help prepare and give tips for trips.
on 10 March 2000
This book really DOES cover everything you need to know if you're planning a big trip - it takes all the hassle out of it AND really inspires you to get out there and do it. Great tips and fun to read, too. I've given copies to three soon-to-be-travelling friends and they've all loved it too.