Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£16.74

on 11 March 2012
First off, I can't bake
Second, I'm in the UK and have/had no idea what a stick of butter looked like (nearly half of one of our packets!)
A wander dowN to the south bank food festival and some guys there were doing American cupcakes, cookies etc
I didn't buy their book, I bought this.
Then I bought some cup measures, then I bought some spoon measures, then I bought a muffin tin, then I opened the book, £30 or so later.
First up doughnut muffins. Instructions to stir for x amount of minutes until it looks like y. Wally proof. Even brave enough to take them to work. Usually my cakes could make decent doorstops and not even my kids will eat them.
This time I'm hiding the cakes.
Confidence restored it's on to biscones, now I'm not sure the dried fruit in the picture looks like the "use any dried fruit" I used- prunes- but despite that they're still edible, and more than once for a token keep me happy moment.
Today it's pecan sandras. This means I will not venture anywhere near weighing scales for a few weeks/ months. They are excellent, I'm so chuffed with myself I wish my mum lived round the corner so that she could praise me too.
In the absence of mother I shall just brag about how good I am at baking.
Oh, and the book's quite good too;)
on 28 May 2012
A cook book which makes me want to try every recipe in it! The book is full of lovely glossy snaps of all the delicious cakes, breads and other baked goodies from this American bakery and Cheryl and Griffith come across as so charming, that you wish this bakery was nearby!

Easy to follow recipes, although some of the US ingredients are harder to source, but a quick search on the internet led me to where to buy, or what to substitute with.

The Hummingbird Cake I baked at the weekend was the best I have ever tasted! Moist, light and delicious and the icing so so sweet. Can't wait to try all the recipes!
on 5 March 2012
This beautifully written, amazingly photographed, book has revolutionised my time in the kitchen!!! I am a fairly confident cook, but the thought of baking brings me out in a cold sweat and a hot blush, or rather it did before I fell for the charm of this book cover and treated myself to the magical world of Back in the Day Bakery. This book is jam-packed full of yummy sounding recipes that are accompanied by such vivid stories that it somehow feels the memories being shared are already your very own. I feel so excited that from now on my own family will have fond memories of things we can bake and enjoy eating together. The most moist cupcakes you will ever try, cookies for every occasion and taste, and some extra special savouries for when it's time to give the sugar a rest. Step by step instructions and advice have made even the most reluctant of bakers feel like a real baker, and that, my friends, is sweet!
on 13 October 2013
I was first put off by this book because it seemed all recipes required buttermilk and sour cream, which is the same as finding a diamond were I live. Meanwhile, I manage to get regular assess to both ingredients so I decided to get my hands into it.
I have tried 2 recipes from the book:
- The buttermilk biscones - came out great. I froze mine and baked them a couple of weeks later for a breakfast with my husband. He loved it. I loved it. It was the perfect balance between sweet and salty. I will use this recipe regularly;
- Cinnamon - sour cream coffee cake - It came out perfect. Sweet enough, moist and the streusel was really good. I just didn't use de cardamom, because I don't like it. Next time I will replace it by cinnamon.
I am planning to try several other recipes, so I will update my review as I go.
on 4 September 2014
firstly let me preface thsi by saying i have many many many cookbooks, i love them,
the back inthe day bakery cookbook is exactly as you would imagine if you had grown up in america in the 40's or 50's, however i didnt i grew up in ireland in the 80's... there unfortunatly isnt a great description of the origin or the basic of the recipies but they are easy to follow and the pictures are inspiring.
warning the recipies are in american measures which can be a challange to convert but the recipies work and if you have some americans to visit they will appriciate the effort.
on 14 July 2012
I bought this book last week and have been looking forward to using it. The recipes look lovely in all sections of the book with a nice intro to each one.
I have made the strawberry cupcakes which are fantastic and will definitely be a regular on my baking list! The quantities are measured in cups and as I don't have any, it was regular checking on the internet for conversions but this was easy enough. I found the recipe made about 30 cakes so I may reduce the quantity in future.
This is a fab book I look forward to trying more of the recipes.
on 9 May 2012
Love this book, very easy to use and the end results taste wonderful! Have tried five of the recipes so far and all were delicious.
on 28 January 2015
This is a lovely little retro cookbook. I have tried a few of the recipes and have been pleased with all of them. There is a good selection of sweet and savoury and nothing so far was too difficult to make. I would recommend this book to any enthusiastic bakers.
on 2 February 2013
This is a great book filled with loads of Southern delicious treats. Many many many delicious sounding and looking recipes, and lovely details from the authors with background history of each dish. My dream is to set up a cute kitsch bakery just like these guys.
on 4 March 2015
Great recipes, such a fun cookbook that really gets you in the mood for baking! Excellent photography involved and it comes with a conversion sheet to help you with measurement in imperial and metric units.