Not too long ago, Chloe Saunders was an ordinary teenage girl with dreams of making movies when she got older.

Today she is a necromancer who has no idea how to control her powers or even what all of her powers are.

In book one of the DARKEST POWERS series, THE SUMMONING, Chloe and several of her friends escaped from the group home they had been living in. Now, Chloe and Rae are recaptured by the Edison Group, a shady organization that has genetically altered them to try and make use of the powers that many of them were born with.

I found THE AWAKENING to be well-written, descriptive, and thoroughly engaging. This book had soul-searching, action, and even a little teen angst - although it only had a little to do with being a teen and a lot to do with being a supernatural with very little control over their lives or their powers.

I would definitely recommend this book to others. Kelley Armstrong already has two popular adult series under her belt, and this is well on its way to being her third, and hopefully only the first for teens! I hope to see much more from her in the future.

Reviewed by: Breia "The Brain" Brickey
on 11 August 2014
I couldn't wait to get a hold of this book as I absolutely loved the first one in the series, The Summoning. This one was still good, but the pace was slower and it didn't feel like all that much happened. I think after loving the first book so much, I was expecting a bit more. Saying that I still finished the trilogy and I did love Derek's character.
As a huge fan of Kelley's work any book that lands with her name on automatically moves its way up the reading pile to give me some pure reading pleasure. Yet with three series on the go, and with a punishing publishing schedule you do wonder if quality is being sacrificed for quantity.

All these questions and more (mainly to do with the cliff-hanger from the original tale in the Darkest Powers series) were bubbling as I began the opening chapter to quickly find I was sucked straight back into this YA series through the eyes of the protagonista. It's a definite must buy for fans of Kelley and a great way to have an adult author bridge the gap between children's books to Young Adult with this addictive telling. Exciting, emotional and above all a story to thrill you long after the final page is turned as you sit to imagine what will happen to the characters next. A must own.
on 31 May 2014
This series is one of those books you can reread over and over again and it never get a boring.
I love the characters and the plot but also love how it can be linked to Armstrong's other books, I.e the cables.
I would recommended yo anyone looking for a good read and an escape into a fantasy world where all the supernatural we love are real.
on 23 September 2014
as usual the story telling is on the highest degree if I have one gripe it is that the books are in trilogy form but the individual books have no ending just a continuation of the tory from one book to the next
on 24 April 2014
Love this book more then the first on and I rated the first book a 5 star like this one. I love how Chloe and Derek's friendship grows I home it blossoms even more in the next book. I am team DEREK but I do like Simon.
on 23 August 2012
Another excellent fantasy story that, whilst targeting young adults and teenagers, is suitable for a much broader audience. These books make for a simple read for adults but they are really enjoyable and allow for the reader to escape their ordinary life and enter a magical existence.
This book starts up where the Summoning leaves off with Chloe imprisoned by the Edison Group. Derek and Simon are still on the run and the Edison group try and get Chloe to help locate them, she uses this as an attempt to escape and finds her self with an unlikely accomplice, Tori.

Her plan is somewhat successful and she manages to escape and find the boys. They then begin their journey to locate Andrew, a friend of the boy's dad.

During the story Chloe tries to come to terms with her powers and even offers support to Derek as he goes through his second failed attempt at changing.

I haven't yet read a story written by Kelley Armstrong that I haven't loved and this series is proving to be no different. I cant put these books down.
on 30 December 2011
An effortless read and real page turner, well rounded characters and an engaging narrative make this book a must read for all lovers of supernatural fiction. Having said this, as I am very familiar with her work, I saw the conventions of her invented supernatural races much before they may have been obvious to new comers to the author.

Overall I do love this series, and this instalment in particular, but it is for a younger audience.

I have really struggled not giving this 5/5 but I just didn't enjoy it as much as other books I have read.

Love Rie x

Read the full review here: [...]
After reading The Summoning last month, I knew that as soon as I got my hands on the next book I would have to read it and find out what was going to happen to Chloe and Rae, and find out if Simon and Derek were alright. So that's exactly what I did!

The Awakening picked up not long after The Summoning, and Chloe and Rae are back in the clutches of Dr Davidoff. Chloe thought that her Aunt could be trusted, but she turned them over to the doctors from Lyle House. Chloe is determined to do everything she possibly can to get out of there and get back to Simon and Derek to help them find their father.

I love Chloe. She never once gave up on getting out of that place or gave up the boys location, and I admire her strength for that. She's a determined and resourceful character. She's always looking out for people, and hardly ever thinks about herself. I just love her.

I started to really like Derek a lot more in this one. Even though he can still act like an ass and a complete jerk, I feel like I got to know him a lot more in this one. He's so vulnerable because he can't control what he is, and he's scared of it. He and Chloe bond in this one because Chloe helps Derek through his change, and they become a lot closer. Derek can be a real sweetheart sometimes.

I like Simon too. He's such a nice guy. He's always looking out for everyone and it always trying to protect Derek. He's determined to do anything he can to find his father to help them.

Tori actually started to grow on me in this book. At first, she was still a bitch but I got to understand her a lot more and see why she's the way she is and I began to like her. She and Chloe bonded in this one and I'm looking forward to seeing their relationship in the next one.

I really want Chloe and Derek to get together! They just seem so right for each other. They've both managed to help each other and I think they'd be great together.

So there were a lot of secrets and unexpected twists that I loved! I was shocked about Rae though! I couldn't believe it when I found out! I always thought she had Chloe's back. The twist involving the four of them and where their powers came from was unexpected. It was kind of horrible to think that everything they've been through was just a test to see if their sick experiments worked. Finding Simon's father was the main story line of this book, but they still haven't came across him yet which make them think he was definitely taken. They do, however, find their dad's friend Andrew who was also taken but managed to escape and came to find Derek and Simon. I'm intrigued by Chloe's necklace though. We still haven't found out what it does, and the fact that it's changed colour has me even more intrigued and I want to know what it does.

Overall, this was a great sequel and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read The Reckoning now and see how the trilogy is going to end!