on 27 March 2013
I am very pleased with this learning opportunity, I must confess I was not expecting charcoal drawing. I have only ever drawn with pencil, but I have learned a great deal about charcoal and am considering maybe trying some charcoal. I would consider working through this book with one of my grandchildren who is very keen on sketching, and, enjoys asking how to achieve things.
on 5 May 2016
practice practice practice
on 10 October 2015
good in-depth information with some step by set guidance
on 12 January 2015
Very good Book
on 22 November 2009
An excellent book showing how the author draws her portraits in various styles. I particularly liked the charcoal drawing of the young lady. She goes through the various stages from the initial sitting to the final drawing, on the way showing you how she sets out the features and shapes of the faces to then checking for a likeness. Then filling in the details of the finished drawing.
If you have a keen interest in portrait drawing and like me have struggled over the years, then I think you will find this book very very useful.
It certainly isn't the type of book you would read and then put away, it is one that can be used over and over again full of useful tips and expert knowledge gained over many years of portrait drawing.