on 28 September 2013
This book reinforces things I already knew about but never paid much attention to until now. It makes you sit up and listen because it is presented in a beautiful narrative style that draws you in. I expected a book on mental training to be academic and full of theories and not much else. This book is however surprisingly refreshing as it is packed not only with theory but also with practicable advice. The real life experiences related here make the message believable. The author digs deep into his wealth of experience to bring out useful stories that illustrate his message effectively.
Although the book is about mental training for sports, the information provided is applicable to all areas of life.
The author discusses the power that imagination and self-confidence play in helping an athlete or anyone for that matter achieve success. D C Gonzalez teaches that success actually starts in the mind with the individual having a warrior mind-set and awakening his inner champion. He provides practical examples of the concepts that he teaches, describing exactly how to achieve them.
I found the chapters on fear of failure and controlling fear, particularly insightful. These chapters have helped me to "look at failure as a valuable feedback "just like the author advices. This book will help you to reprogram your mind and embrace new ways of handling issues like fear, anger, pressure in sports etc. It gives a keen insight into what can make or break an athlete and offers useful advice on training the mind of the athlete to achieve more success.
Each chapter ends with a little wise saying or nugget which summarises the entire chapter. I found myself looking forward to the end of each chapter to get my nugget.
An absolute joy to read, I highly recommend this book.

By Tebutebu.
on 4 October 2013
"The Art Of Mental Training" by D.C.Gonzalez is truly an intriguing read. Whether you are seeking answers amongst its pages for your own life or you are just keenly interested in matters of a psychological nature, this book explains how that which takes places in the mind can have an impact on outward performance. As such, the book highlights the importance of mental training.

Gonzalez is clearly focused upon the sportsmen and women amongst us (as is clear even from the e-book cover) but what is wonderful is that it is applicable to so many more people than these. I am not a sporty or athletic type of person, however I am vastly involved in the performing arts and found that what is expounded in this book is vital and workable information. I believe it could span all kinds of lifestyles and has the ability to speak into everyday situations that are stressful or chaotic, whether it be in the home or the work place!

What really struck me about "The Art Of Mental Training" was its complete fluidity and its utterly compelling writing style. You can see this even from the gripping chapter titles. Many self-help books can be either confusing or just so matter of fact that they bore you to tears, but neither is the case here! Its pages are littered with analogies that come alive which enhance the information presented, and in my case caused me to relate and think "yep, I was that person who yawned in class whilst everyone else made the discussion work".

Overall, I thoroughly and whole-heartedly recommend this book for sportsmen and non-sportsmen alike - it's wisdom will impact you with tangible results. A self-help psychology book that grips you like a novel - couldn't imagine a better package.
on 28 October 2013
This book provides lots of tangible information ready to be put into practice. The Sports Self-Hypnosis and Neuro Linguistic Programming so expertly taught are rarely seen in other sports psychology books, setting this book ahead of the pack. There are powerful psychology-of-change concepts presented in this book which are not really appropriate for pre-teens . . .

This is a truly amazing book which I suspect might very well change the way you think forever as it did me. The power of this type of training has always interested me but this book put a whole new spin on things by combining sports psychology essentials with other great and easy to use techniques to unlock an amazing mental state of relaxation, focus and creative imagination that helps one recognize and tap their true potential.

The best thing about this book in my opinion is that these techniques can be used in almost every situation that life throws at you. Much of the book uses sports and athletes to help explain the psychological concepts, but it was very easy for me to translate the techniques and the knowledge into how I was going to use the training to help me achieve what's important to me.

The book is written in a way that keeps you reading and really gets you thinking about your life and the possibilities moving forward. You are provided with tools and insight that will help you to achieve your goals and dreams as well as reach new levels of peak performance.

The techniques in this book really work. I had a bit of a problem with confidence but this book gave me the mental tools to overcome my weakness and soon helped me to believe in myself much more strongly. Helping one really understand the importance of self-belief and how to improve it from within plays a big part in this book. It also teaches you how to control certain emotions and thoughts that affect how well we perform and it teaches how one can use that knowledge to gain a Mental Edge.

The author has done a fantastic job of writing this book because it is written in such a beautiful way. Its style keeps you engaged and will leave you thinking about your life and about how you can go on to achieve better things for yourself - all the things that are important and meaningful to you.

This book is by far one of the best books I have ever read and I would recommend it to anyone who really wants to commit themselves to gaining the knowledge, tools, and techniques that make up this Science of Success that so effectively helps one to unlock the hidden potential that lies within us all.

I would like to say thank you to the author for opening my eyes to a completely different way of thinking and for creating an amazing book. I will definitely be looking out for more from this author simply because the book was so interesting and because it helped me change the way I think. There has been a definite shift towards the positive now, and for that I am grateful.
on 24 April 2014
Told in an engaging way with stories and anecdotes the lessons on mental training here all feel very relevant for everyone, not just athletes or marines. We can all learn from these setbacks and triumphs. There are concepts I was vaguely familiar with such as breathing exercises - but refreshingly explained - and several completely new ideas that I have already begun to put into place. It really is a case of re-training your brain and I very much believe this book is the best way to go about it. Highly recommended and I will certainly be encouraging friends to pick up a copy!
on 21 January 2016
One of the most concise books I have ever read on this subject of training the mind, I really enjoyed it. I realise the authors expertise is in the field of sports development but I would have liked it to touch the subject of business and everyday life as well, but apart from that as I say the book was excellent.
on 16 February 2014
Bought this book over two months ago and it has really helped with my confidence, and goal setting. Only thing I will say is, you will have to stay on top of the tasks that the book asks you to do. Otherwise you will have to start again from step one.

Couldn't recommend it enough great book.
on 18 September 2013
A highly underrated book. I guarantee that those who have a knowledge of Eastern Philosophy will grasp the underlying concepts of this book. Also, very handy for coaches dealing with athletes/businessmen who want to improve/develop.
on 11 June 2014
A self development book with a difference. I found it easy to read with an interesting mix of story and theory. There were lots of useful take-away tips for me, in fact, this will probably be one book I read over and over again.
on 27 March 2014
I would say I have an 'intermediate' knowledge in confidence training and life coaching, so I was not too sure what I would get from reading this book. But to my surprise, mainly because of the writing style of the author, I learnt some valuable techniques, especially in the latter chapters. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone, at any level!
on 16 September 2014
I would recommend this book to not only athletes, but to everyone from different walks of life. Fundamental wisdom of self-belief and imagineering are described in such a manner that it flows and the time stops when you read this book. Martial arts teach discipline, but before that comes inner strength and reliability on oneself to be able to go on, not to give in and keep achieving in a gathered manner. Simply brilliant!