Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 July 2014
Just browsing I was attracted initially by the cover but was soon drawn into the story. So many reviews seem to give opinions and at the same time give away the story. Suffice it to say that this story was built from differing points of view so that the reader was able to build the characters and not second guess the ending. There wasn't a lot of the padding that takes up pages of some lighter tales and having enjoyed it I wished that I had taken longer to read it - I was sorry when it was over.
on 17 January 2015
I initially started reading this book because a local, first time author has written it. But, I kept on reading because it was very interesting plot with powerfully drawn characters and I really wanted to know how it all panned out. What I like about the characters in this book is that they are seriously flawed but, not in a way made me dislike them. I really liked many aspects of Ben although he seemed incapable of making good life choices that did not hurt others, in spite of not intending to. I really wanted Rosemary to escape from her traumatic past that still held her in chains and start living again (find her "big life").

I don't want to put any spoilers into my review but, this is a complex, fascinating story populated by some quite complex characters whose life experiences (as you gradually discover them) make you wonder what you would have done in the same circumstances. It tackles subjects including how and why we deceive ourselves and each other, as well as the harm we do by it.

I don't like to use the phrase "page turner" as it is heavily overused but, this was a book that I just wanted to carry on reading until I finished it. What I also loved about it was that when I re-read it a 2nd time, I discovered new details that I had missed the first time around and enjoyed it even more.

I will definitely be reading the next book by this author and am looking forward to it.
on 23 February 2015
What an utter delight this novel is. I was initially attracted by the cover and the title and then was blown away by the writing. It was one of those rare books that had me hooked from the first page. All the characters are so well drawn that I became deeply involved with them. The very different first person voices are beautifully realised - each one real, human, unique...a testament to Ms Banks' skill and craft. This does NOT read like a debut novel: it is confident, accomplished & I would go so far as to say masterly. I can't wait to read more by this author. In the meantime, I am about to re-read The Art of Letting Go to savour it all over again.
The only downside is that it's one of those novels you're really sad to finish because you know that everything you read for a long time afterwards will feel inadequate and second-rate by comparison. HIGHLY recommended.
on 15 September 2014
This is a powerful story that draws you into the lives and inner worlds of the characters involved. It's skilfully written and every word counts. It's also extremely skilfully constructed, in the way we see the same events from the perspective of the different characters. And it's got a great cover! I'm already looking forward to her next book.
on 1 April 2016
I am not sure of the story behind how I happened to buy The Art of Letting Go but I am so glad I did. Within the beginnings of the first pages I was in love, the writing was so beautifully placed and words strung together that belonged. I became in awe of the sentences, the phrases and descriptives and hooked on how the scenes were set, the face of the weather, the colours of the paint and each minuate characteristic of each person playing their part amongst each page.

The sea was the colour of madness on the day I first met Ben. Not Slate or Ash, Gunmetal or Battleship, just grey.

I fell in love with the words before they had landed onto the page. The descriptives were everything I ever craved within a novel....descriptive allowing my imagination to fill in the blanks, not that there were many to fill.

The Art of Letting Go is a story about life and how it isnt really so simple but yet it should be. It is about adventure and longing and colours and bold attributes and allowing yourselves the what ifs... the characters are strong and formed and individual. Each with a history yet a purpose and a yearning for living, even if it has yet to be realised. It is about friendship and passion and creativity. It is about being free and letting go...

It is amazing and I highly recommend it completely and wholeheartedly and it will stay with me forever and ever. Chloe Banks will join my list of favourite authors. I am unable to credit her enough. This is my best read of March.
on 15 August 2014
It's quite an undertaking to write a novel in four different voices, but the three women and one man in this novel are all distinctive and sensitively portrayed. The events move along freely, which sustains reader interest as the characters move through the plot, each with their own thoughts, motivations and yearnings. During a most enjoyable read, one comes to a very thorough understanding of each person, without anything in the story being contrived to bring that about. It is an insightful and intriguing tale: one gets drawn in, the ending is unpredictable, and I think most of us will find bits of ourselves in each character as we eagerly turn the pages.
on 27 July 2014
The Art of Letting Go is a brilliant novel with vivid characters. The author really seems to understand human beings, their motivations, dreams and fears. Great writing and storytelling.
The most unlikely of people come together, and the only thing they have in common is the lies they’ve told themselves. But their time together brings them closer to who they really are, but events push them into drastic action, one that will make them chose whether to embrace who they really are, or to run from it.
There were some great moments I didn’t see coming! Some fantastic writing - I really felt the characters come alive in each voice. It’s insightful, meaningful, and cleverly comes together at the end, and although you see how it will all fall apart, you don’t quite know what is about to fall apart and why. Superb!
on 23 September 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The story line was gripping from the start. I loved the idea of a grumpy old lady writing letters to her childhood friend... so much more to the person than meets the eye... there is always hope, and there is often a twist in the tale... Very well written.
on 18 February 2015
A well written story but not sure about it. I like the idea and is well written but with a little too much emphasis on Art. I did skip these parts. Ending is a little disappointing. I would try other books if available by this author.
on 25 March 2015
I was very disappointed with this book, after reading the reviews I was expecting something exciting or at best very interesting. The story is told from the perspective of several characters, I usually enjoy this, when the different thought patterns and slant on events is seen through different eyes - but in this story, each character seemed as dull as the last and the story was tedious and dull - huge chunks can be skipped without really missing any important facts of the story........ I couldn't even finish the book and had to give up just over half way through.
Perhaps this book was just not for me, but if you want to read something with some grit and suspense this book isn't really for you.