on 26 July 2014
Just browsing I was attracted initially by the cover but was soon drawn into the story. So many reviews seem to give opinions and at the same time give away the story. Suffice it to say that this story was built from differing points of view so that the reader was able to build the characters and not second guess the ending. There wasn't a lot of the padding that takes up pages of some lighter tales and having enjoyed it I wished that I had taken longer to read it - I was sorry when it was over.
on 14 November 2016
I don't read a great deal of literary fiction so I came to this book without expectations. The characters are delicately drawn and the artistic metaphors also apply to the writing. Over time we see the characters in more distinct tones, but the final reveal takes the reader in an unexpected direction. I found this to be a book about seemingly small lives and the big events that have shaped them. I felt as though I only got to know one character well, who nonetheless was still capable of surprising me by the end. The Art of Letting Go is a book that stays with the reader afterwards and challenges what we think we know about the human condition.
on 15 September 2014
This is a powerful story that draws you into the lives and inner worlds of the characters involved. It's skilfully written and every word counts. It's also extremely skilfully constructed, in the way we see the same events from the perspective of the different characters. And it's got a great cover! I'm already looking forward to her next book.
on 14 December 2016
I think this novel was well written. I'm impressed by how I came to grow fond of, and perhaps even understand the main character, Rosemary.
I also appreciate the writer's obvious desire to encourage the reader's introspection. It seemed to me that she was pointing to man's complexity and desire for love. It seemed to be a challenge to a naturalistic view of humanity, while desperately trying not to preach.
I guess linked to that, I would say that I thought at times Ben and Rosemary's (the two prominent characters) discussions on God seemed somewhat unrealistic. If we look at the Christian God for example, the bible not only teaches about his love, but also that he causes them to feel guilt or moral responsibility for "sin" - that wasn't discussed much in the context of God, when in reality, I find that that's one of the things that come up, and one of the things that make people uncomfortable in these discussions. Perhaps the writer wanted to focus on the idea of "finding God" rather than about the "personhood" or "motives" of God, and so this was the way to do that. But it seems to me that the characters only really delving into "finding" made it seem like an unrealistic fixation on the topic of God, especially with Ben. Why would one look for God? Would it not be linked with the perceived identity or personhood of God?
Also, a small issue but I was a little disappointed by the number of typos and omissions of important words like "to". This was on the kindle version by the way. There were quite a few mistakes that should have been dealt with in the proofreading stage. I don't work in that field though so I can only imagine how difficult it is to iron out every mistake!
I really did like this book. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read something with flawed but likeable characters.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 July 2015
Loved this book. Completely different fron usual chic lit. I loved all the allusions to art and painting ( oh, if only it was that easy!). I couldn't begin to guess the twists, turns and angles of the plot. I felt the heroine had such hidden strengths but gave us hope that they could help us to free ourselves from the 'pulls' of others eventually. Not the most conventional of endings but it was perfect for me. The whole book seemed to be tailored exactly to what I wanted. Can anyone recommend a similar author?
on 28 February 2015
Ben an artist , Rosemary a retired Dr of Physics and Jenny a quiet disappointed spinster, are somewhat thrown together for a summer. As the story unfolds we learn what has happened in the past to make them what they are now. Beautifully told. I found myself being drawn in to the characters and in particular to Rosemary. It makes a change for a heroine, or main character to be a woman in her 70s .There are several twists and secrets revealed in this beautifully drawn novel.I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 April 2015
I choose this book because of its ratings. I found it difficult to get into in the start, but I thought I would read on and as I did I thought I was getting in to it better. As the story unfolded I began to understand it, but I also got confused by the different people's thoughts through the book. I was disappointed when I got to the end and was left thinking "oh was that it?".
on 17 April 2017
A brilliantly written book perfect for those looking for an uplifting novel. Chloe Banks is a master at characterisation, rarely do I believe every character in a book but I did. My only issue was the ending. I was waiting for an explosion of action. But saying that , I did enjoy this book for what it was.
on 22 March 2015
I only got a quarter of the way through before giving up and that's not like me. I found it confusing and lacking in warmth of characters, and I just thought why am I reading this when I'm not enjoying it at all. A shame, but there you go.
on 18 February 2015
A well written story but not sure about it. I like the idea and is well written but with a little too much emphasis on Art. I did skip these parts. Ending is a little disappointing. I would try other books if available by this author.