on 1 September 2010
If you're just starting out on a serious journey into coffee appreciation, this is the book for you. A beautifully produced book that gives relevant and accurate detail about the different methods of preparing coffee, and even looks at the home roasting process. This is NOT one of the books that pads out scant information about coffee making with loads of cake recipes including coffee as an ingredient. A coffee enthusiast may find little new, but even so it's a book well worth having, giving clear and concise information on coffee itself.

For a newcomer to coffee - make this the first book that you buy. For a experienced coffee maker - a delightful book, that will help you explain your passion to others.
21 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2012
This book is exactly what I wanted for my entry level into the world of specialized coffees.
It is written in a way which is clear and concise and rarely ventures into too great a depth which would overwhelm or bore the novice enthusiast. To break up the text blocks are relevant and good looking images scattered throughout.
The practical selection-grinding-roasting-brewing sections are actually helpful and realistically achieved in an average home.
A good book for a good price.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 August 2012
I bought this book to learn more about the different species of coffee and I must say that I am not disappointed. Sinnott really covers all aspects of coffee brewing in this book. He starts out with an explanation of how the most common bean species differ from one another and how each region has its "signature" taste before he moves on to a detailed explanation of both roasting, grinding and brewing. What I find really great is that Sinnott does not write "This is right; that is wrong", but instead list the pros and cons of each roasting/grinding/brewing method.

Overall a very good book if you like coffee and want to broaden your horizon - be warned, however, you will suddenly want to experiment with creating your own blends and crave tasting that pure Kenya AA, or Yemen, or perhaps a good Sulawesi, or ... or ... or ...
2 people found this helpful
on 17 April 2016
I love this book, I also have a hardback copy. It's very informative and well put together, coffee is my No. 1 favourite drink this is an absolute must for all Coffee fans
on 18 January 2013
Bought as a present, arrived promptly. Nicely produced, good quality book. Full of interesting articles. Great present for a coffee lover.
on 2 February 2013
Bought this for my husband for Christmas & he has told me it has been really informative & interesting. It's also a really nice book to have sat on your coffee table.
on 7 August 2013
My dad loves his coffee and has even started cooking it himself...loves this book and has learnt a lot more just to increase his love of coffee even more!
on 10 May 2013
Got this as a present for someone- they thought it was good, informative and well presented. On the whole pretty pleased
on 15 January 2012
I bought this for my husband as he, unlike me, is into his coffee, and I mean REALLY into his coffee! He cannot put this book down and is very impressed that I found such a fantastic book about something that interests him. There is a great depth to this book and it tells you from beginning to end, how to get the perfect cup of coffee. My only problem is that we are now having to purchase coffee grinders/makers/roasters etc... to continue his ever growing obsession, I mean hobby! I must admit that even as a preferred tea drinker, I have cast my eye over a few chapters and found it so interesting that it is just as addictive as the drink itself! Highly recommended!
6 people found this helpful
on 22 April 2013
A very informative book detailing the background to all types of coffees, where and how they are grown and what types of roasting and brewing makes the best use of them. It also covers all the machinery (roasting grinding and filtering) to help the reader make the best choices of their preferred blend.
Whist very informative it is from America and focuses on products available there. It also, perhaps goes too deeply into the home roasting process for many "normal" coffee drinkers.
All in all though a very interesting book and recommended.
3 people found this helpful