on 3 July 2016
Once again Scott hurls his readers into an action packed, fast paced thriller. There is the usual convoluted mystery to solve. Also I found this novel particularly fascinating because his on/off lover, Brooke is kidnapped, and he has to take many risks and suffer many difficulties to try to rescue her. Brooke participates in her own attempted rescue and both she and Ben fight to get together. BUT do they get together? Well I will not create a spoiler here, you will have to read the book for yourself to find find out what actually happens!
5 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2013
Mariani's latest ends up as bit of a "Pocahontas" adventure (or Avatar for the slightly more youthful of us) with this ripping eighth installment for ex-SAS man "Don't-You-Call-Me-'Major'" Ben Hope.
This time it's as personal as his foray in 'The Mozart Conspiracy' when he opens with Brooke being kidnapped along with ex-M15-now-turned-Clive-Cussler-wreck-hunter character, Sir Roger Forsyte, head of Neptune Marine Exploration, who is currently announcing the company's "biggest coup since Sir Roger founded the company". He's just located the 1588 wreck of a Spanish Armada ship, the Santa Teresa, off the coast of Donegal. Everyone's off to Ireland to see what's going to happen. Just like in the last novel, there's a swift car-crash kidnapping and murder with the beautiful Brooke being the unfortunate victim of the latest psychotic megalomaniac, Ramon Serrato. This time her looks save her as she bears an uncanny resemblance to the dead wife of the murdering drug lord and she's whisked off to her own personal jungle Mandalay.
This, of course, sends Ben over the edge, as he trots off to Belfast after a quick call with Boonie to hunt down one Fergus Doyle, dishing out his own particular brand of violence on a group who are more smoked than the proverbial red herring. The latter, of course, turns out to be the true facts, the scene being merely a filler and insight into Ben's tendency to be trigger happy. Mariani gets his emotional hero back on track with a visit to Spain, has him team up with Nico - a cop with a bit more punch, a heck of a motive, and coarse language to boot; more so than the likes of Luc Simon or Darcey Kane -, and then the pair of them head out to a steamy South American jungle for a denouement with the deranged Serrato.
Hard to say more without giving major spoilers away so I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, this one's pretty good. Much better than the last one, the pace is jumpy, the characters edgier, Ben's struggle with the morality of his actions now familiar, yet still, crucially, present.
So, I've completed my Ben Hope marathon read and I've enjoyed it. I'll look out for future novels for sure. I thought I'd put them in order of favourite reads because...well, why not, eh? So here goes (from best to...not best):
1. The Lost Relic (Ben Hope 6)
2. The Mozart Conspiracy (Ben Hope 2)
3. The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope 1)
4. The Heretic's Treasure (Ben Hope 4)
5. The Armada Legacy (Ben Hope 8)
6. The Doomsday Prophecy (Ben Hope 3)
7. The Shadow Project (Ben Hope 5)
8. The Sacred Sword (Ben Hope 7)
on 11 June 2014
I read the Armada Legacy- the first of Scott's, because of the title and the blurb.
I was a diver who was one of the team that found an armada ship in Donegal in 1971 in Kinnago Bay.
So of course I was interested in the story.

Scott's knowledge of the troubles and the dirty war that was carried on was impressive.
However to the story.
If you like a cross between Jack Reacher and Curt Cussler's excellent stories you will love this.
The writing was excellent, the characters were well drawn and as the story moved between different countries I was sucked into the plot and the mystery.
I have already purchased another of Scott Mariani's ebooks and I am looking forward to reading many more.

It's great, as a writer myself to discover another author who fires my own imagination.
Great work, Scott and all the best with your future projects..
Jack
on 12 June 2013
I certainly found that I was wanting to keep reading to find out what happened next but there was one particular 'flaw' in the plot that did niggle ... Without giving too much away to those that have yet to read this, how did Serrato know of the likeness and therefore not have her gunned down with the rest by his 'killing' team?? One of the disadvantages of reading using a Kindle is the inability to 'flick' back. perhaps ... That aside, it was very James Bond-esque with our hero and the ability to survive where others would undoubtedly perish. Compared to others of this genre - other reviewers have suggested Dan Brown - there isn't the detail and some of the descriptions are dubious - of the Peruvian rain forest in this instance. But if you take this to be on a par with a James Bond novel then you won't be disappointed. This was my first Scott Mariani novel and would I read another now that I have read this? Yes, quite likely!
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 23 February 2014
Scott always writes a good novel and this is no better, no worse than any he has written to date. It has pace, twists, terrific locations well described, amazing - but believable - characters and a good story; greed plus a warped sense of love and desire are the main motivators for the evil protagonist. It's a bit graphic here and there with some shocking and cruel violence, but it's not excessive and, I felt, required content for this kind of adventure story. I read it quickly, it wasn't difficult to read and I wanted to turn to the next page to read what happened next. It has all the right ingredients and is well-worth a purchase if you like this kind of thriller/adventure story.
on 11 June 2014
Those people I meet must be fed up with my constant hype about the Ben a Hope stories but I simply love them. I whip through them as Mariani's style of writing just flows from the page and ensures repetitive strain injury in turning the pages. They are quite simply rip-roaring, boy's-own, action-packed, thrill-rides, with tension, plot, back-stories, educational snippets of bygone myths, legends or simple historical secrets inter vowel amongst a modern, globe-trotting action adventure starring an intelligent, moral, top-trained fighter hero. My hyphen key is stuck so I'll stop there as I'm now off to read the short story "Bring Him Home"
on 13 May 2013
I enjoyed this one as all the others in the Ben Hope series. He is one of my best action heros. The description of those south american plains felt so real and the characters quite believable.

I would have given 5 stars but for one gripe - the book title. I know Scott Mariani uses these "legacies" in most of his titles but I felt that on this occasion the title was a bit misleading, a bit tenuous to say the least, basically the book was about greed and what/how some nasty people go about aquiring wealth and status in the most vile way and how Ben Hope our hero rises to the occassion when his girlfried Brooke gets embroidered in the whole mess.

A lot of action, the writer engages you from the start to the finish.
on 21 May 2013
At first I thought I had already read this book, then I realised the first chapter was available as a taster in the last Ben Hope novel by Mr Mariani, must be getting old and forgetful. I'm three quarters of the way through the book as I write this and I have to say it is not as fast paced as previous tombs by Scott, it does however show a different sides to both Ben and Brooke. Ben has something on the line and uncertain of the outcome, will he lose Brook (can honestly say don't know yet!), Brooke is showing a inner strength and calm we normally expect from Ben and Nico the Ex Columbian police offer is a great character as a springboard for mucho emotion letting. I'm guessin all the action is going to be in the last fifteen to twenty per cent of the book. SFSG (So Far, So Good). If you've read all the other Ben Hope books you're going to have to read this anyway.
on 18 September 2015
I am a big Mariani fan and although the action plot is much as I expected and enjoyed, he has left a lot of unanswered questions relating to the plot. It as if he now just wants to finish the writing and get on to the next book. He has done this as well with the Nemisis Programme. It seems to me that his writing has now become rather lazy. I don't want to be left with unanswered questions and a sudden finish when the action is finished. Both books could do with a a short epilogue round up loose ends.
on 11 May 2013
At the beginning thought that this book was a bit slow to get going. The hero does not get involved until some way through. Then the descriptions are very exciting. You soon find that this is a definite page turner..........or in my case a press onto the Kindle page.
This is the type of story that you hope never becomes true for the people of the Amazon Jungle.
If I have a complaint, it is that we never actual get told all about the effects of the 'inheritance'. Cannot say more or it will destroy the narrative.
Looking forward to the next book from this Author.