on 7 June 2015
I loved this book. I have known about Stephanie Pearl McPhee for a while, and seen bits of her blog, but then I bought the books and was hooked. They are proper snort-your-tea-through-your-nose-funny, and if ever I wake up anxious in the night, they make reassuring night time reading (unlike Jodi Picoult, I don't recommend tackling her in the small hours if you need cheering up). I was slightly anxious about buying this because someone had said it didn't live up to her previous books, and it's always really sad when that happens. I downloaded a sample, though, and the fact that I was crying with laughter at her cycling trials (I still feel a bit guilty about that) made up my mind. Knitting doesn't feature very prominently, but that's ok, because the things it makes way for are big and true and thought-provoking, and as with her other books I reached the end greatly saddened that there weren't more words still to come. There aren't any knitting tips in here, but if you want some interesting and reassuring observations on life, I thoroughly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon 15 June 2014
I usually love Pearl-McPhee's book but for some reason this just didn't hit home like they usually do. There were some gems, but I found a few a bit pointless and I actually fell asleep during one that was ridiculously long. I found the paragraphs a bit too long too, they made reading it feel like work, when it's usually such a joy. An okay book, but not my favourite from her.
on 23 April 2014
I have read all Stephanie's 'knitting' books and found them very entertaining, very funny and her astute observations hysterical! However I was disappointed with this 'non knitting' book ... inasmuchas it felt a little padded out. I felt that without the knitting theme as a starting or reference point, the text lost it's impetus and seemed more contrived and than Stephanie's previous works and slightly irritating. I did still enjoy it, but not nearly as much as previous books.
on 14 July 2017
Not usual Knitting humour like previous FAB books. C'mon Yarn Harlot ur halo is slipping.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 January 2015
Disappointing - not as funny as her earlier books
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 March 2014
All of the Yarn Harlot's books serve a vital role: they make you laugh at the same time that they help you realise you are not alone. This book continues to fulfil this purpise. It's lovely to have it confirmed that loving knitting is necessary and normal. Long may she continue.