on 25 August 2006
This book is massive and well worth the money, there's loads of fab recipes to create some spectacular and complicated desserts. There are also loads of explanations and chef's tips. Unfortunately I was really dissapointed at the lack of photos and diagrams...some of the desserts are so complicated it's difficult to visualise them without some help. I'd reproduce this book with some more step by step diagrams. Also, the (few)photos that are in the book are all clumped together and miles away from the corresponding recipe, I'd like to see the recipe's and photos together. I understand that the photographic paper is thicker and there are so many pages in this book it would be a foot thick if it was all printed on glossy paper - but surely these flimsy pages will tear so easily? I'd sooner have paid a bit more or had the book split into 2 volumes.

Mone the less, this is a very exciting book and I still love it.
on 22 March 2014
My first impressions of the book was "It's printed in a browny / black type" The Colour of the font used makes it difficult to read. . The Pictures are not with the recipes which make following a recipe difficult as quite a few rely on the pictures to present the product for a spectacular presentation. Pictures 17 and 18 are the worst just trying to find which biscuit/cake is represented where.

The book is not a complete works on Patisserie as the Author has split his previous book into two. You have to purchase "The Professional Pastry Chef Fourth Edition : Fundamental of Baking and Pastry " for the Authors full understanding of Pastry. Which I feel is a bit of a con. As I purchased the book on Amazon.

Macaroons I have passed the City and Guilds test in production of Macaroons undertaken quite a considerable research on their production. And I can guarantee the recipe and method in this book will not work. The instruction state placing ground almonds in the bowl first then placing one unwhipped egg whites in the bowel whipping then adding another egg white and whipping. It's just not going to work.

The presentation for the Patisseries are Michelin 3 star beautifully presentation. I worked at Raymond Blank's Le Manoir and the presentations in the book are better than the Le Manoir.

All the templates for the chocolate runouts and other decorations are supplied in the book and are presented but in Brown/Black print. How I am going to force the pages on to a photocopier I have no idea without damaging the book considering it's thickness.

Despite the Author claiming to be from Europe it's a very American book in terminology "Jelly Roll"

The instructions where they contain sketches adjacent are very clear and easy to follow. Not so much the cakes Chestnut Puzzle Cake instructions 10 and 11 I had to read several times to work out what was meant to be happening. The Picture for the Chestnut Puzzle Cake is 60 pages away in the title there is a hint of picture 7 which I then had to hunt for.

At $70 it's an expensive book but I feel worth the money the standard is differently above City and Guild Patisserie Level 3 in content. And teaching of the college I am attending. Some very good techniques and presentations are contained in the book. I paid £33 approximately for the book.
on 20 February 2012
Like already mentioned in other reviews and -obviously- in its title, it is more for the advanced home-baker and culinary arts students like me. After reading a lot of books on this subject I found out that this is the one I like and trust the most. Bo Friberg's little comments here and there and his candid way of writing is helpful to take away the scare of previously untried recipes. Unlike some Cordon Bleu books I examined, this chef is talking and instructing you, whereas Cordon Bleu books are often -at least the ones I read- to much of a textbook alike. ("Textbook" means: some vital information is missing and the only way to get it is from an instructor.) Friberg's book is also packed with a lot practically orientated tips. It is my favorite!

But: I live in Istanbul and ordered it from amazon.co.uk. Unfortunately the shipping took much much longer than books I order usually from the States.
on 18 August 2011
The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef: Advanced Baking and Pastry Techniques: I bought for my sister who bakes for her own tea rooms.She was thrilled with the layout of the book, the enjoys perusing the recipes. Wonderful book for a great cook, wonderful price for me. Thanks Amazon
on 12 February 2014
Already had The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry and I simply had to have this one too. Lots and lots of pages full of information. Not many photos and that is only down side but this book is so great that I am willing to give 5 stars to it even when it is lacking the photos which I think are pretty great in a any sort of cookbook.
on 6 December 2013
Great continuation on Chef Friberg's techniques, recipes and methods, now for the advanced.

As covered in my first review, if you are a pastry pro or very serious amateur, you will love this book.

It is so well printed out and catchy, it is magnifficent. Sheer indulgence.
If you read and applied both these books, plus another one more versed in contemporary techniques and
molecular gastronomy, you would be a VERY well rounded pastry chef.
on 16 May 2011
For professionals only I believe. Complex book that needs a more professional brain to understand what this great chef is explaining.
If you have a passion for pastry I would recommend this book to any chef.
VINE VOICEon 30 April 2009
This book has everything you need to produce beautiful pastry, a must for any budding pastry chef. The instructions are easy to understand and the hints and tips are very useful. I would recomend it to everyone who wishes to improve and advance their techniques.
on 19 January 2008
This is a proper Chefy book for experienced pastry chefs. If you fall in that category then I fully recommend this book, it's great, full to top tips and ideas on modifying and changing dishes. If your not a jobbing pastry chef at the top end of your game this is a teckie book and probably not for you. It has some fantastic photos and complex diagrams but personally I would have preferred a few more.
on 24 July 2009
This book is for the serious confectioner/pastry chef who wants to develop skills. Despite the lack of photographs, it is easy to read with a wide variety of recipes and easy to follow instructions. my one major criticism of the book is the lack of contemporary techniques, but as a reference book for classic patisserie its a winner and definately recommended for college students NVQ3 and above, if you just want to 'dabble' I would suggest Pastry by Michel Roux.