Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 February 2015
Really convenient meditation exercises that don't take up too much of your time.
on 31 January 2007
I bought this book for one purpose only - to help my daughter de-stress during exams.

"Meditation" cunjurs up all sorts of images, and in this fast-paced, hi-tech, all-action world many feel they don't have time for it, like students!

It's an easy book to read, browse, get the hang of. The meditations are simple (almost too simple it seems!) and easily fit into everyday life. My daughter,myself and many friends of ours are hooked on different exercises and yes, they do only take 5 minutes!

The book is a bit wordy in parts, but the various exercises are first explained fully then there is a shaded box with easy-to-follow instrucions.

As an intro to Meditation or for busy people, this book hits the spot!
on 18 August 2016
Brilliant book. Sitting down and spending 10/15 mins is difficult with your own business and two young kids but I now find myself doing 10 spot meditations a day. Only caution I would have is that I think it was easier for me as I my body already knows what relaxed meditation feels like so it was perhaps easier to apply. Don't let that stop you from trying though! :-)
on 21 May 2005
This was my first book on meditation and I found it well written, easy to follow and, most importantly, it makes it easy for you to get started with meditation.An excellent introduction to the subject and definitely worth a look at.
on 30 August 2013
Very well written and easy to understand even for me seeing this was my first book on meditation.
It is very good for someone who would like to get started on meditation ie. it just tells you simply what meditation is all about without going into the religous side.
on 3 July 2004
2 types of people could use this book. (i) absolute beginners trying to get a start into meditation & (ii) people practicing formal meditation who want some help extending their practice into daily life.
The book is not perfect. There is a western perception that meditation is a relaxation technique (a cheapskate's alternative to a few beers?)- that this book encourages. A more accurate view is that the relaxation is a useful side effect of formal training in awareness & concentration. This book encourages the current tendency of our society to try & do everything in a hurry. If you want a more thorough approach to meditation, and are prepared to set aside a daily practice period, try "Breath by Breath (Rosenberg) or "Wildmind" (Bodhipaksa) - both serious, but clearly written books about traditional practice. (I found using a buddhist centre open class a key focus for my practice. If this is available, I believe it assists building a regular practice.)
For me, highlights of the book were mindfulness of urination - using a trivial & frequent daily task to practice concentration - and using red traffic lights as an opportunity for mindfulness - which increases my pleasure in driving.
One last word, the traditional Tai Chi aphorism definitely applies to meditation - an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory.
22 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 May 2012
Enjoying reading this book. It has great ideas and techniques of how to meditate not just when there's time to but while on the move as well. Quick tips which are easy to follow.
on 2 May 2013
I do Transcendental Meditation as well as some of the meditation techniques in this book and have been practising for several months now.

I think this book is very well written, easy to read and understand. I especially thought the chapter "focusing, or paying attention" is very well written; focusing is a key element of mantra meditation which is what Transcendental Meditation employs.

In fairness I have not read the entire book although of what I have read I have found to be very useful. For example, body scanning, walking meditations and meditations for when you have to wait.

So I would definitely recommend this book.
on 25 March 2013
Easy to follow and well writen, I find the meditations easy to do and very relaxing. In just a few minutes I have tought 2 of my friends who both had trouble sleeping how to do the breathing meditations and both agree they work.
on 19 September 2014
This is the first book that I have read by the author , and the best book I have ever read on meditation. He has a great writing style and explains everything really well which a lot of others don't. You can't wait to put it into practice and I can't wait to read his other books. I am just sorry that I never discovered him earlier.Thoroughly recommend.