Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 12 November 2013
I'm a miserable git when it comes to music sometimes...... However....this is a refreshing piece of musical artwork with some surprising 80's undertones that remind me of Go West, Simple Minds with a twist of grunge and nostalgic 'i'm 16 again cheese'...... Not my favorite album ever but still.......some nice melodies and a handful of tunes that you 'll want to listen to again and again. Not 1975 but more 1985......!!
on 30 December 2014
I am a huge fan of The 1975. I had to purchase this on vinyl.
It is an amazing record and I listen to it daily.
The vinyl itself is a wonderful 'clear' vinyl which is amazing.
My favourite songs on this album are definitely She Way Out and Menswear. I also love how beautiful Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You is.
on 30 December 2013
Absolutely brilliant - love Chocolate which is why I bought the album. Fantastic tracks on there The City, M.O.N.E.Y., Heart Out, Settle Down - Particularly Great. Brilliant album, can't stop playing it!
on 16 September 2016
I hadn't read any reviews on this one. I purchased their 2nd CD because of the reviews and was blown away by it and decided I'd give this debut a shot. So glad I did. This is one fantastic piece of work for a debut CD. Brilliant songs on this one, especially Robbers. This is a brilliant band with awesome songwriting skills and very talented musicians. I don't normally get hooked on a band at first listen, but this is the 2nd band I got hooked on at the first listen of their 2nd CD and had to purchase this one. Glad I did. This is some brilliant music and a change from the garbage that's out there today. Hopefully The 1975 will be around for a while. Awesome band and I definitely highly recommend both of their CDs. Guaranteed you won't be disappointed. I'm not. Finally, some awesome music!
on 15 March 2016
This band is getting bigger now, after just releasing their second album but this first album is just as good! Lots of great songs, an alternative/indie band, so not everyone's taste but have had a fair few hit songs now. Glad I have this album in my collection now!!
on 15 October 2013
I'm not usually a massive fan of alternative rock (dont shoot me if this isn't the correct genre) but after hearing The City, Chocolate, and Sex i gave them a more intensive listen on Youtube. After i heard Menswear half way through i decided i needed this album, i didnt even listen further at that point i just ordered it and downloaded the MP3 versions of all the songs and gave them a proper HD listen on my computer. Amazing album, the lead singer has an amazing voice.

Take the punt and get this, so many good songs which i know will slowly filter into my most played playlist, like im sure 90% of other listeners will be thinking. Some great meanings and lyrics in here too, this isn't just catchy alternative music, this is good meaningful stuff if you decide to listen with a careful ear. A nice change, get it.
on 25 July 2016
I am a relative newcomer to The 1975 having discovered them recently after seeing their live performances (on TV) from Glastonbury and T-in the Park and am now a huge fan. I have listened to this album non-stop. Favourite tracks include The City and Robbers. Good mix of some good atmospheric tracks. Have since purchased their second album and tickets to see them on tour in Newcastle in December.
on 4 January 2014
Best album Iv brought in years have not stopped listening to it, my favorite song is robbers but not a bad song on the album
on 14 March 2016
Love it love it love it.

Its modern pop meets the 80s. As long as you aren't offended by references to drugs and sex, you like a catchy tune/melody and have a soft spot for tracks that sound like a modern rework of the three men and a little lady soundtrack, you'll love this!
on 8 September 2013
Sorry to go against all of the positive reviews of this album, but listening to albums is subjective and I thought I'd share my thoughts on this one. I, like many others I'm sure, bought the album on the strength of the tracks the band have released so far. A good pop album is a worthy addition to any collection in my mind. The problem I have with this album is that there is too much fluff and not enough content.

The first track, "The 1975" is an intro track and doesn't really offer much, though it's surprising that the band has such a featureless title track. The album then breaks into its stride with the decent track "The City", followed by the track "M.O.N.E.Y", which never really goes anywhere. "Chocolate" and "Sex" bring about some hope that things will improve, then "Talk!" chunders along and never seems to end, despite it's brief 2:47 duration. "An Encounter" is more filler, "Heart Out" is an improvement, "Settle Down" brings back a similar riff as "Chocolate" but not quite the hook, "Robbers" lowers the tempo - an okay track but again no hooks, "Girls" is more successful and the band strike a better balance of delivering a message and the catchy hook, "12" is another filler track, "She Way Out" doesn't do much to broaden the band's repertoire but isn't a bad track, "Menswear" is mostly filler track but with some nonsensical lyrics in the middle, "Pressure" is again a floaty but very lacking track interspersed with a choral chorus section, "Is There Somebody Who Can Watch You" is a sparse piano and vocal performance that I'm sure should be emotive but frankly sends me to sleep.

So not a completely bad album - there are highlights, but sadly you've heard them already. It feels like the band didn't quite have enough material to span the ambitious 50 minute duration and it would have been far preferable to have a 30 minute LP. Perhaps pigeon-holing The 1975 as a pop band is wrong of me and they wanted to deliver an album that goes deeper, but the singles they've released are undoubtedly pop, they released them first because they sound great and they should probably stick to what they're good at.