- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
That's Not What I Meant!: How Conversational Style Makes Or Breaks Your Relations With Others Paperback – 3 Aug 1992
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Tannen combines a novelist's ear for the way people speak with a rare power of original analysis ... fascinating (Oliver Sacks)
Tannen's classic investigation into how growing up in different parts of the country, having different ethnic and class backgrounds, even age and personality contribute to different conversational styles. Reissued to coincide with her new book The Argument Culture.See all Product description
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
Deborah Tannen is an accomplished linguist who has invested many years learning how men and women communicate, and how that communication can be improved. Her ideas are well researched, easy to understand and apply.
The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking
The focus is practical and the whole is very well written. Technical concepts are presented in ordinary English for the most part - yet the effect is not patronising.
I found myself saying "Yes, that's right" to myself at regular intervals as I read it. It was one of a small number of experiences that led me to change career and begin a training company dedicated to enhancing the communication effectiveness of professionals.
Finally, I have bought several copies as presents over the years.
One of my all time top-10 books
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Popular Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Gender Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Sociolinguistics