Format: Hardcover|Change

on 28 November 2001
I bought "That's Not My Lion" for my daughter when she was 10 months. The book is solidly made with rounded corners and thick (non-tear) pages. Each page (even the cover) features a small textured section that doubles as a body part of a lion (ears, paws, tail etc.,). From the first time she watched me read the book, and then take her finger to rub the textured area, my daughter has been hooked. Even bottles of milk are put to one side to sit with Dad and read through the book together. For that alone, it is easily worth the money.
on 20 April 2015
I love these books and so do my children. The pictures are captivating even when they were tiny.

As they started growing, they've been enjoying these even more and keep looking for their favourite page in each of them to scratch or touch the different textures although it's true that some adjectives become a bit repetitive across the books but the drawing cover for that.

They are also very solid books with thick pages compared to other ones out there as my children haven't managed to completely tear them apart doing their favourite 'chew on everything everything' activity.

The multi sensory approach along with a simple concept of looking through drawings with bright colours and simple make this a very lovely book that grows with your child as they start learning more words and looking for the right animal (see note at the end).

To sum-up, these books are absolutely brilliant so please don't hesitate.

Note/Spoiler alert: The animal you're looking for is on the last page :)
on 15 May 2001
My one-year old son has enjoyed the "That's not my..." series since he was about 6 months old and this latest title did not disappoint. I'm convinced that he recognised it as being similar to the books such as "That's not my train" which he returns to again and again. This title introduces new textures and there is slightly more detailed illustration on each page than in the previous books - giving you items to discuss with your young reader. The chunky pages also allow older babies to explore the book on their own.
on 29 October 2013
This was the first book of the "Thats not my...." series which we purchased as my two year old son seems to have a love of tractors. This just opened the door to more books in the series. At 4 GBP per book, these are great books to keep my son entertained. We bought just about every one of them (Tractors, Planes, Trains, Cars, etc.).

This particular book is great in that it goes through different colors which helps to teach him all of the different colors as he looks at different tractors. He has really started to learn quite a bit over the past year and I really think books like this one have helped him with colors.

This was a good buy and I highly recommend it for your children's book collection.
on 3 April 2010
We have That's not my... dinosaur, monster, baby and this one - tractor. (The 'baby' one is the current favourite but moreso because it is a bit different because it has a mirror at the end). And we do love these books - honest - but it does seem already noticeable that some of the materials, fabrics and adjectives are repeated in the different books.

I would always recommend these books to anyone looking for a good book for their baby but I would also suggest that, if you already have some, check the pages 'in person' first if possible. I just think they will have a bit more longevity if each and every one is different - rather than recycled!

We do enjoy the tractor one but because it is not 'face' based, it doesn't command as much attention. I did think, seeing the first page that has sheep in the trailer, that the theme would have been carried through and farm animals included on each page to capture the imagination, but this isn't the case unfortunately. Maybe this is one that baby will be more interested in when he is a bit older and get in to diggers, lorries etc.? A nice addition to our bookcase - but not our book of choice at present.
on 4 April 2015
In my opinion, the repetitive nature of this book is what makes it so appealing for young children. The textures are easy to identify and remember. The text per page is concise and clear. The colours are bold and attention grabbing. M 9 month baby got the hang of touching the textures within a few days and having been left to explore it on his own it doesn't look worse for wear.
on 19 May 2007
This was the first Usborne book I bought for my son, and it's still one of his favorites. He loves to roar along with each lion and find the tactile part of the pages. A beautiful book, wonderfully illustrated and excellent for the age group. A definite must-have!
on 27 February 2014
Great book except I already have the tiger one for my 3month old son and they're pretty much the same! (Other than the last page of the lion one which is a bit different and why I'm keeping them both).

As he's only 3months, my son can't tell me which one he prefers, but he likes looking at the pictures and gets a bit excited waving his arms about when I read them to him! Having read them both, I personally like the tiger one best - other than the last page of the lion one which is nice.
My son and I are huge fans of Usborne touchy-feely books, we have read them together since he was a few months old. He is now 16 months and thoroughly enjoys each book! Each board book is perfect for babies and toddlers to handle without you having to worry about torn pages. They withstand drooling, biting and very rough handling and offer a fantastic interactive story with vibrant and colourful illustration.

Each page begins with "That's not my tractor" and reads;

It's engine is too bumpy
It's trailer is too rough
It's funnel is too small
It's wheels are too squashy
It's seat is too scratchy

The final page reads " THAT's my tractor! It's headlamps are so shiny.

Each page has a corresponding texture for your child to discover.

My son loves to point out the textured section and points out the animals on each page. I treasure our reading time together each day and have in excess of 10 Usborne touchy-feely books and still enjoy each one!

I hope this review was helpful!
on 10 January 2013
My 1 year old and I love the 'Thats not my.......' Range of books and have done for a number of months, but this isn't my favourite. He can pull tufts of fur off the shaggy main on the last page and the textures aren't as interesting as some of the other books, such as the dinosaur and tractor books.