on 22 May 2014
It's 3.30am and I have just read this book from start to finish, despite knowing that my alarm will be going off in 2 and a half hours - I just couldn't stop reading. If I ever win enough on the lottery, I'll be calling on Clare to write a screenplay so we can turn this into the best rom-com since Imagine Me and You. The characters were easily imaginable (already got a cast in mind!) and the description of the places make me feel I've been where Pia and Cate have stood. I'm a helpless romantic too and this book was a beautiful distraction to a very hectic life. Thank you. Now, I'm off to the National Lottery website to buy a ticket... And I'll set my alarm a bit later!!!
on 12 June 2014
I did exactly the same thing as another reviewer, read until the early hours of the morning, only leaving myself a couple of hours sleep. It wasn't intentional, I'm usually more sensible but every time I turned my light off, I found curiosity got the better of me. In the end I had to finish the book so that I would be able to sleep. I did have to laugh with my pillow stuffed in my mouth, in order to avoid disturbing my partner, but it was worth it. I'm not going to describe the book, TerryB and others have already done that much more eloquently than I could but if you enjoy a good, lighthearted but well written romantic comedy, with the characters possessing depth, then buy this book. In fact buy any book by Clare Ashton, you won't be disappointed.
on 30 May 2014
Enjoyable book, I liked the fact it was quite 'chick lit' whilst being written around a lesbian relationship. As a girly lesbian I enjoy chick lit so a mix of the two was nice to find. I did however find it disappointing that it's the femme character in the book that is married to a man - there are gold star, out and proud, lesbian femmes out there, myself included! The book isn't fantastically written nor does it have a dramatic storyline but I found myself feeling for the characters, and looking forward to finding out what happened next. The writing definitely got better as the book went on, some lines were really funny too. One small criticism - the odd fascination on the word 'hair' in sex scenes was quite odd, and a little off putting!
Overall I enjoyed this book and would purchase future books from the author.
on 16 July 2017
The story had such promise but it meandered off into a lackluster romp which was trying to be held together by a 'love conquers all' theme.
Pia one of the main protagonists was annoying in her immaturity and youthfulness, Cate the other, was irritating as the older woman. For me storytelling has to have element of possibility/realism but this was beyond being even remotely possible or even believable. I'm still going to read other Clare Ashton books in the hope her other stories are better constructed, but unfortunately this one missed the mark for me.
on 27 November 2017
Whilst I enjoyed the story and the characters, there was just something lacking, particularly at the end, that left me a little unsatisfied. However, it was still an enjoyable read.
on 13 June 2014
This was a delightful read from beginning to end, once I started I couldn't stop. It was romantic, intelligent, descriptive, funny (at times laugh out loud) and it had just the right amount of angst. The ending was perfect!
on 30 May 2017
A wonderful read - I would completely recommend it. It's beautiful, funny, sad, happy and takes you on a wonderful journey. Thank you Clare Ashton for such a fabulous book!
on 18 July 2017
Great story
on 18 October 2017
I loved this book. It was sweet, fun and romantic, a real page turner.
on 5 August 2017