VINE VOICEon 14 March 2008
I must confess that I was switched onto this book by a business website. I was looking for something which would help me to illustrate the power of a good arguement. I'm always a little cautious about these kind of books as people with a background in business aren't always to my taste in writing styles due to the fact that I like literature which some find a little highbrow, all of which made reading this even more of a pleasure.

Heinrichs puts his arguement across well and develops his ideas logically throughout the book. Like any good writer of something of reference the conclusions at the end of each chapter allow a certain ammount of cheating - should you wish only to cover the key points. This also serves to aid in referring back to find key sections. His style is conversational but manages to avoid sounding partronising - unlike some books of its kind.

There are two thoroughly refreshing aspects to this book that made the reading experience all the more enjoyable. The first was the juxtaposition of the classic (and well researched) arguments with some very contemporary references. Some of the contrasts are mentioned in the title and it really does mix them up in this way. This is particularly effective when the arguement itself becomes complex and somewhat abstract. It may lead to the book dating somewhat in years to come, but does really help illuminate the points most effectively.

The other aspect I enjoyed was his almost obsessive notation and the derivation of the words, in particular. This will result in my ensuring this book is put to good use and not left to gather dust.

If you are looking for something to illustrate the power of persuasion then this book definately achieves the remit. It is an engrossing, unconventionally illustrated, and ultimately intersting read.
VINE VOICEon 18 September 2010
I have a large collection of persuasion books-some truly excellent-this one is right at the top. I bought it two weeks ago and it's looking much older now-with good reason.

This book offers you a choice: allowing you to control the argument or allowing the argument to control you. Jay has made esoteric seeming rhetoric into everyday practicality. Illustrating clearly how we all use elements of rhetoric in our daily lives, he goes on to demonstrate how to improve and structure it. Arguments, in the true rhetorical sense, become more productive, pleasurable and useful as a result.

I wish I'd had this book when I was a teenager; I would love to get my brothers kids to read it-what an advantage they would have, especially in building a career-never mind dodging the fallacious nonsense argued in the media and in politics.

Flowing easily from offense, defence, advanced defence-finally culminating in advanced agreement; Jay structures his discussion using ethos, pathos and logos succinctly, weaving tips, anecdotes and everyday examples into every page.

The Appendices are well thought out, the first being a total gem.
Entitled The Tools, here they are:

Goals-Set the tense:
* Personal Goal: What do you want from your audience
* Audience Goals: Mood, Mind and Willingness to Act.

Issue Control:
* The past is forensic-guilt and innocence, such as a court case.
* The present values-demonstrative-Praise and Blame.
* The future-the rhetoric of politics and good argument, what is best for the audience.
Ethos-Argument by character
* Decorum-Ability to fit in with the audience's expectations of a trustworthy leader.
* Virtue
* Framing
* Logical Fallacies
* Bad Proof
* Bad Conclusion
* Disconnect between proof and conclusion
* Rhetorical Fouls
Kairos-Timing or seizing the occasion
* Persuadable Moment
* Senses
Speechmaking
* Invention
* Arrangement
* Styles
* Memory
* Delivery

The Further reading gives you a decent selection of books-I agree with his recommendation on Lanham's Handbook of Rhetorical Terms. Use it in conjunction with this text though as Lanham is not giving you daily life usage, rather he's offering his discussion on the terms themselves in an A-Z order.

The initiated may be a little put off by the terminology; however Jay points out the names are not important, simply grasp the concepts-I believe everyone reading this will do that with ease both from recognition and Jay's instruction.

This book has served me as a solid course in debating skills; something I believe we all could use to great advantage thus allowing us to avoid being persuaded by poor argument, poor reasoning ,bad proof and giving us the ability to make choices that are fully informed-something that is frequently unavailable on a daily basis.

If you have never read any book on persuasion, argument or similar, let this be your first-you won't be disappointed-in fact I think you may even be back to thank me.
on 22 December 2010
This book is one that you'd want your kids to be taught during school, just so they could get through a little more pleasant - but you wouldn't want any of the other kids to be taught it so they could realise what your kid was up to.

A very amusing read, very useful if you want tips and tricks to get your voice heard in a world of marketing and persuasion.

Easily read and humorous.
on 5 April 2013
This book is now available under another title. And it is a great book, easy to read on a difficult subject: rhetoric. Great stories in it, short chapters, I not only recommend it, I already did buy 2 more to give away. The huge price of 'old' is only a mirror that no once wants to give away his book.

I do find a pity, kindle editions are not always cheaper, but this book does not deserve 1 star, but five! Go read the Winning Arguments. Even if I am sorry it did not remain with the old cover. I loved the carrot from this one!
on 8 November 2009
This is one of the gems that you sometimes come across unexpectedly. It is a very readable, fun book that constantly teaches you at the same time. A mixture of story, explanation and examples, the book is a must read for anyone. If only use of English had been taught like this in my school, if only the explanations had connected through their immediate relevance, if only for the third time is an example of anaphoric writing! The title rather underplays the depth of this book. It could easily become required reading in many schools. It inspired my thinking, and explained many things that i was doing, but without always understanding why. I do speak in public and have won at National level - this book will help me achieve that again. It is in my all time top ten books.
on 30 December 2010
I would have bought this on the kindle version but why is it so expensive. No postage, packaging and manufacturing yet it is more expensive than the physical version.
Absolutley crazy.
Oh well - paper it is!!!