Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 July 2017
I absolutely love this book. I was first introduced to it at uni by one of my creative writing lecturers and haven't put it down since. I regularly take it out of the shelf and flick through some of the stories. Keep recommending this.
on 15 July 2005
This book will appeal to parents looking for a good book of tales to read to their children, to children looking to read independently and there is plenty to entertain adults alone.
The ten tales highlight the quirky side of life, with excellent illustrations to accompany the tales, including an illustration of the author himself.
For me Ten Sorry Tales took A Roald Dahl type tale (twits, matilda) and developed it further.
A great read.
on 20 August 2005
I bought this book on a review in one of the Sunday papers although when I received it, I wasn't sure whether it was intended for adults or children. Perhaps that doesn't matter as I think both will enjoy it. It is nicely presented and the illustrations suit the stories very well. The stories are a mixture of dark and disturbing through to rather comical and I wanted to cheer out loud after reading 'The lepidoctor'. All in all, a very entertaining (if short) read and I shall certainly be investigating Mick Jackson's other books having read this one.
on 9 April 2012
I loved this book. It was everything I hoped it would be- morbid and sinister but with good narratives to back it up. I loved 'The Hermit' and 'The Lepidoctor' particularly- the first because it was horrible yet, in a way, justified, and the second because of the glorious striking image at its centre of a dead butterfly like a broken watch, intricate and mendable. The illustrations, although few, are also wonderful.
on 12 April 2012
What a splendid collection. I particularly enjoyed the story in which the mean-spirited horse features. It's a horse that certainly knows how to push people's buttons (and pull them). Check out Amazon's 'Look Inside' feature for this book and scroll to the back cover. A very accurate synopsis... so if you find that intriguing then buy the book.
on 24 March 2016
Horrendous book will awful stories. Purchased as it was the topic of study during children's English lesson, UK curriculum is going down hill. Very disappointed.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 21 December 2010
What an interesting writer Jackson is. I read his empathic, dark and funny The Widow's Tale earlier this year, marvelling at his ability to get into his female narrator's psyche. Then I picked up this book of quirky dark stories, beautifully illustrated by David Roberts' detailed, textured line drawings. I've only just realised that 'The Widow's Tale' Jackson is THIS Jackson.

What we have here is a sort of Cautionary Tales for Children married with the way certain authors use fable to write for adults - The Book of Lost Things. I think there's stuff here to delight a child being read to, and the reading adult will also find subversion for his/her own delight in its pages, whether or not there's a child to share the reading with.

These are not MORAL tales, or tales of instruction, unlike fairy tales of myth. What they are is a celebration of the anarchic, and the eccentric, whether its a child-stealing wild man getting his own back on aspirational sophisticates, the boy who loves butterflies pitted against the conceptual artist with no empathy, or the problems of dealing with the bureaucratic nightmare caused by a group of schoolchildren upholding the rights of extra-terrestrials. And funny.
Mick Jackson's work is nothing if not eclectic. I first read; The Underground Man, because my cousin went to school at Welbeck, where the story is set. I found it totally intriguing and loved the book so much I went on to read his book, Five Boys, which I really didn't like much at all. When I came across this volume of short stories I was slightly concerned as to what I might find. As it turns out I absolutely loved these tales. The illustrations lend the work a rather appropriate Edward Goreyish feel, and the stories themselves are just perfection. They are whimsical, dark, funny, clever and always unexpected. This is the best of his works I have come across so far and I recommend it unreservedly. I particularly loved the story Alien Abduction. It is wonderful.
on 15 April 2007
I grabbed this from a book shop just before I was about to catch the train for some light reading that would stop me going mad on the journey. I had no idea I'd picked up such a good book. Im not totally sure whether this book is intended for children or adults but I thought it was enchanting. The stories go from the light hearted 'The Alien', with mass child rebellion and the 'Lepidoctor' about a young boys attempt to save thousands of lives with a antique. To the darker stories such as 'Hermit Wanted' which actually has you quickly looking over your shoulder as you read it. It's brilliant little collection from Mick Jackson which in sometimes put you in mind of Roald Dahl. Really worth a look. It's a wee bit short but Sorry Tales is a gem.
on 2 February 2009
Ten excellent short stories, all a little odd and some a little macabre but every one a little gem.