Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 50 REVIEWERon 26 October 2012
I really wanted to like this. I had read all the five star reviews elsewhere, and expected a great read.
Trisha and Joe had been high school sweethearts. Then just after graduation, when Trisha was leaving for college. Joe cheated with another girl.
Fourteen years later Trisha has returned home, to help her parents sell their diner. Almost the first person she runs into is Joe. It seems there is still a spark between them. But can Trisha forgive him?

When Trisha returns to her home town after fourteen years, she and Joe are Both 32 years old. Joe was well drawn character, he did regret his past actions. But what spoilt this book for me was Trisha. When she returned home and her thoughts were to stay away from Joe, have nothing to do with Joe, and never ever have sex with Joe. For the first dozen times she thought this, I thought okay fair enough, but then it got out of hand. This constant internal dialogue by Trisha continued throughout almost the whole story. It was repetitive and annoying. But what made it worse, was her actions and words never matched her thoughts. Which meant that she constantly had sex with Joe, and didn't stay away from him at all. The other woman the supposed villainess, was a poor pathetic creature, who was no threat at all. In fact she didn't even feature that strongly in this. And why is it that when the guy cheats and then regrets it and wants forgiveness. Everyone is always on his side, and the woman is made to feel bad for not giving in. This is the second book I have read recently where that has happened. For me the story went on for too long.
I am especially picky with the books I read - and I usually immediately chuck the book when infidelity begins to show itself. I made an exception for this book however, because if there's anything I love more than a man baring his heart to his woman, it's a man grovelling for forgiveness. A thread on Amazon recommended this book as one with a lot of grovelling so I thought I'd give it a try even if the reason for said grovelling is infidelity. Guess what? I was disappointed.

Call me shallow, but I picked this one up because it was supposed to show, grovelling aside, regrets, new beginnings and much-needed realisation in part of the characters. So I expected to be indulged - but there was little to make me happy. Grovelling? What grovelling? The hero was arrogant, self-righteous and would rather have the graces of the heroine through seduction rather than apologies! I disliked Joe because if there was anyone who had absolutely no right to act as if the past just erases itself, it's him. It did not help that the heroine was as weak as a newborn - a typically weak-willed heroine easily seduced by the hottie even though she despises his guts. How cliche could it get?

Add these characters to a equally cliche climax (other girl involved, but of course a total misunderstanding...) and you get something that isn't at all worth reading. It's as cliche as can be! There were several subplots that have no volume whatsoever - they'd make you wonder if they were only added in to garnish the plot because God knows it needs it. The only redeeming quality of this book I think is the part where Trish digs deeper into her own emotions. Her realisations were quite well explained and generally fits the plot.

I'd say do yourself a favour and skip this - but it seems some people like it, so there you go.