on 5 October 2016
As always Terry never fails to deliver. This latest in the Sword of Truth volume of books is as hood as the last 3. The mixture of stories blend together very well and the narration is exemplary. Can not Wait to read the nest book.
on 6 November 2000
An enjoyable story, but too predictable. I guess when you come up with a great idea and turn it into a wonderful book like "Wizards First Rule" then the follow ups are harder. The better the follow up the harder the next follow up...
Sadly, this is the follow up that doesn't live up to the previous books. They left you wondering what was actually going to happen, but by this book the suspense just wasn't there in quite the manner we are used to.
That said, it was still enjoyable, and I would rather have a book that does have an proper ending instead of a Robert Jordan epic that seems to have no ending.
The next 2 books in this series are already out, and I will be reading them. I hope the suspense is back.
on 14 July 2010
This is the fourth book in the "Sword of Truth" series and is yet again an incredible read. I got interested in the "Sword of Truth" books after watching "Legend of the Seeker" on tv. Being a Tolkien fan and, realising that this was a fantasy in a similar vane, I bought the first book "Wizards First Rule" Since then I've been well and truly hooked. Whilst I think nothing can top "Lord of the Rings" this comes a very close second.

Richard (the seeker and now Lord Rahl) and his beloved Mother Confessor Kahlan are again fighting the evils that threatens the Midlands. Now a new threat arises in the form of Jagang, a tyrant who wants to kill Richard and take over the D'haran empire which Richard now leads. Using his cohorts, the sisters of the dark and his ability to enter peoples minds whilst they are asleep, Jagang, known as the Dream Walker, releases the plague into the Midlands.

Richard and Kahlan struggle to stop this disease but it costs them dearly and their faith and love in each other is pushed to the limits. Richard is only just begining to understand his powers as a War Wizard and without his grandfather Zed, a Wizard of the first order, to help him he learns that he must find and enter The Temple of the Winds to put back "that which has been taken" if he wants to stop the plague from destroying his empire. To enter the Temple he and Kahlan have to make the ultimate sacrifice.

I wont spoil the story by revealing what they must do and the outcome of their devotion to each other and to their duty. Suffice to say that yet again I could not put this book down and am now on the fifth book with numbers 6,7 and 8 waiting in the wings.

Whilst this series of books, at 11 volumes in total, seems incredibly long, believe me it is worth every minute that you spend reading it. I lent the first book to a friend who in turn lent it to her sister. Now they are both badgering me to read quicker so that they can borrow the follow-on books.

Loose yourselves in the Midlands and D'hara, cheer on Richard and Kahlan, I assure you that you will not be disappointed.
on 15 May 2010
First of all the general plot of Temple Of The Winds is quite good and if you want to know how the story goes on you should have a look into this book (or listen to it as in my case). Yes it is repetitive but so is an episode of "House" and I still like it a lot.

The real challenge is to FIND the plot. I read a review here in which the author wrote that Goodkind must get paid by the word - this is NOT an exaggeration people. Around 60% of this book is cheap overdramatised babble.

I really am into a little romance, nothing wrong with that but what the author did here is much worse than any soap or penny dreadful I have seen in my live. It gets even worse by making the main characters so erratic. First they go on and on about their love being eternal and that nothing could ever come between them. But when it does (like it did happen before - we remember Richard being "abducted" by the Sisters of the Light and "bad" Kahlan made Richard wear the collar) suddenly everything is hopeless. What makes it most annoying is that they are so stubbornly clutching to their delusions to a point where you just wanna get hold of them to give them a good shake but then of course they suddenly realize how wrong they were and blah!

Conclusion: If I would have to compare Temple of the winds to something it would be a sip of good Chardonnay laced with a bottle of Mountain Dew.

My recommendation: Skip though the sob stuff - everything will be fine in the end anyway - and try to filter out the good ideas. If you are easily annoyed by the stuff I described above - buy the paperback Temple Of The Winds (Gollancz S.F.) because it will forgive you being thrown through the room rather than your Ipod...
on 21 February 2013
I enjoy Terry Goodkind's work, though I know there are a lot who don't. I see nothing wrong with his writing, and he has created some very interesting characters along the way. The Mord-Sith for example, surely among the finest fantasy creations to be found in any book. Their blend of evil combined with loyal, devoted service, all joining the Seeker of Truth as soon as he becomes the new 'good' Lord Rahl (which they did back in the 2nd volume of the series), going on to be his finest protectors as well as close friends, is a brilliant format I think. I really like the idea of these women who have given such superb but totally evil service to the former ruler who, on finding that Richard treats them with kindness, all go over to serve him and follow the path of good. Cara, the leading Mord-Sith, is a wonderful creation, her constant caustic comments to her master being really amusing. Other interesting characters pop up in this volume as well, but you'll just have to read it to find out. A large book pagewise, but I think an very interesting read. I would recommend it.
on 24 August 2012
I really wanted to write here that this book is rubbish and not worth reading but I suppose in the end I still wanted to find out what happened.
There seems to be an excess of erotic narrative written here. I can understand the use of sensual content, it can bring a certain dynamic to a book that is unachievable in any other way. There is, however, a line where that content becomes so abundant that you think you've accidentally strolled into a newsagents and gone straight for the top shelf! I am afraid to say that this book crosses that line. some of the stuff just isn't needed and is distracting to the main story line. The main story has some good points but it's mostly a lot of talk and no action. The characters of Verna, Zedd and Nathan seem to take up so little space in the book that you're not really sure until the last chapter that they are indeed part of the storyline. It seems to me that Goodkind condensed and rushed their parts in the story to make way for Richard wondering what to do and talk of sex.
At the end of the day, you'll want to read it if you've read the other books in the series but in the back of your mind you'll be hoping it ends soon and the next book will get back to the good stuff.

Spoiler - Everything is ok in the end!
on 13 December 2001
This book is fast paced and is very hard to put down. The 'betrayal' of the one in white is absolutely terrific and the climax of the story is gripping. TG has kept up the same quality of storytelling as he has done in the Wizard's First Rule. Definately worth buying.
on 23 November 2000
The first two books in this series were excellent. I then came to read the third, Blood of the Fold, and was severerly disappointed. It read well, but nothing really happened; about the only notable events are the discovery of the sliph and the destruction of the Palace of Prophets.
The Temple of the Winds, however, breathes life back into the dead horse than Goodkind seemed to be flogging. It's not so much a voyage or a battle, as a puzzle that must be solved. Many events in the plot contribute to the heightening mystery, keeping you geussing "Who, How, Where..." up until the finale. Several hints are given along the way as to how the book is going to end, but it's only after you've finished reading that you think "Oh yeah, now I get it...".
The reasons this book loses its star are two fold. Firstly, we seem to spend a significant proportion of the book re-introducing characters and themes that have been running throughout the series. This is particularly evident in the initial interrogation of Marlin. However this isn't as big a drawback as it is in Blood of the Fold, and things soon settle down to their familiar rythm. Secondly, the situation at the end would be impossible to escape; if the villan had any wits about him at all which, from the rest of the book he has. You have to re-read this section several times to understand just how things are done, and even then it's a little far-fetched. But then that's how the rest of the books in this series have been... so nothing new there.
All in all, a worthy addition to the Sword of Truth series (as well as looking as cool as anything - black and gold rocks :).
I'd be interested to see how Mr Goodkind keeps Darken Rahl involved in future books - his appearance in this one is tenuous, although it does make sense.
But this book and read it. But only after you've read the other three.
on 18 March 2014
Once again I could not put this book down. I recommend it to anyone. The story is compulsive. You have to know what happens next. It's nearly 1am and I have to be up in five hours but I had to finish it. Now I can rest easy.
on 6 August 2016
Kindle sale purchase.

I purchased a load of kindle titles recently and so I cant review the titles themselves yet. My reason for 5 stars is because of the price and the overview sounds great.

I will be back later to provide a comprehensive review of this book.