The Television History Book (Television, Media & Cultural Studies) Paperback – 19 Dec 2003
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book is nicely divided into manageable sections and covers a broad range of subject areas from the beginnings of the first big broadcasters (BBC, ABC, CBS etc) through to an in depth analysis of the cultural impact of programming during the decades. Each area is also split into an analysis in the UK and then a corresponding look at the US so that you get a real understanding of the differences between the two. The individual sections are written in an essay style with references at the end which is great as you have suggestions for further reading right in front of you. In each section there is also a more specific case study which further illustrates the points that have been laid out.
Although it doesn't delve deeply into the more recent impact of the Internet, the comprehensive wealth of information surrounding the beginnings of this industry far surpasses anything I have found anywhere else. If your studying television history, or just looking to gain a bit more of an insight I would highly recommend this book.
Really simple to find what you need, these books cover near enough every topic you will look at in 1st year, and mostly 2nd year. If you can't decide what books to get off the reading list, I'd suggest to get this and the Television Handbook by Jonathan Bignell, Jeremy Orlebar, and the 1st edition by Patricia Holland.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Film > History of Film > Britain
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Television > History & Criticism
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Communication Studies > Media & Communication Industries
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology