on 24 September 2017
Very interesting
on 14 May 2006
It's not often that you are able to hear a serial killers' own words and this book gives you the opportunity to do that. Ted Bundy suffered no guilt and had no remorse for his terrible acts. Instead, he blamed his environment and the kind of society in which he lived.

I got the impression that speaking in the third person gave him a 'kick.' It was his way of not confessing to the murders, but being given leave to speak of them just the same. It is debatable whether he should have been given a 'voice', something he denied his victims.

Was he mad? Legally not, because he knew what he was doing.Was he bad? Most definitely yes. In order to see his self-delusion, you need to read a book about his crimes, written in light of the facts, not in the light of his justifications.
on 29 September 2001
This book has truly broadened my mind. I had no idea that anyone was capable of the acts which Ted Bundy committed on others. In their writing of this book, Aynesworth and Michaud have clearly revealed new insights into the depraved mind of Ted Bundy. They did not even hope to extract a confession from him, but their innovative style which allowed him to project his abnormal fantasies onto a fictitious third person has given the world a frightening glimpse into Bundy's mind. Do not read this book at night.
on 22 November 2008
I bought this book last week, having an interest in all things serial killer and having read many books ON Bundy I was quite excited at the thought of basically reading his own thoughts his own words, in 3rd person of course.

I finished the book within two days, I was really disappointed. Throughout Bundy is as he always was, manipulative and un-co-operative, skirting around answers and only providing information in a way he felt acceptable and not really dealing with the enormity of the crimes. Reading some of his thoughts, but knowing a good amount of the story, it was apparent he was lying quite a lot, taming things down maybe to make them more acceptable in his mind? He doesnt want to come accross as a weirdo, or a pervert. What was interesting was how aware of personality traits this man was, how he understood psychology and generally how intelligent he was. While we sometimes got a little glimpse into his psyche really it left me with more questions than answers. A worthwhile book to have, just dont expect too much.
on 27 December 2012
I actually became interested in Bundy through a video I watched a few years back. It was a series hosted by the world-famous Christian child psychologist James Dobson. Dobson was actually the last person to interview Bundy (just hourse before his execution), and the insights he gained there and the words of Bundy had a deep effect on my mind.

I remember years later working in a home with young adults with Asperger's Syndrome. One young boy in particular had a thing for gory horror movies and would watch them as soon as he got up and pretty much until he went to bed. I must admit this freaked me out, and in an attempt to dissuade him from this abnormal activity I showed him various videos on YouTube ranging from Bundy's last interview to news coverage of the Columbine High School Massacre of '99. It had a positive effect on him too, but my manager didn't agree and told me that he couldn't differentiate between fantasy and reality. When I commented that the real danger is letting him watch depraved horror movies (where he frequently punched the air and exclaimed "yeah!" when the bad guy would rip one of his victims open or some other on-screen atrocity) he paused and said "You've got a point". Anyway,

Anyway, I got the impression that he was sincere at the time, and so did Dobson when interviewing him. But from further reading and watching, it would appear that Bundy was always trying to play people, to gain an advantage (in this case an extension of life on his death sentence).

To be honest this is the first book on Bundy I have read, and perhaps I should have read Michaud's first book "The Only Living Witness" for a more general understanding of his case.

Having been addicted in the past to various things, I could certainly pick up on some of Bundy's psychology, but I just don't feel I could get into it the way someone with more awareness of the case maybe could. Bundy was a clever person. He knew the law and he knew a fair bit of psychology. He was totally addicted to his perversion. There are a lot of people like Bundy who perhaps never gain the courage to act out their sick fantasies or they are addicted to something less destructive or less extreme. I could certainly pick up on what he was saying in regards to the addictive nature of his crimes of passion.

Bundy was adamant in wanting the world to know he was smart, totally sane and was not a perverted sicko on the extremes of society, but a certain product of society of which there were more. The impression one is left with is that Bundy spent long hours meditating on why exactly he had ended up like this; the causes and effects.

I have "The Only Living Witness" which I will read next. And I would probably suggest you read that first.
on 26 July 2011
From someone who studied criminology and psychology and who has read extensive books on Ted Bundy as he is quite interesting to read about, I found this book highly disappointing.
I purchased the book expecting Ted Bundy to explain what he was thinking and feeling and why he done the crimes, but what I found was something completely different. Ted refuses to talk about what he done or admit to it, but instead the researchers ask him to explain what he thinks was going through the mind of the person that he thinks committed the crime...However, as this sounds like a great trick, Ted does not always tell the truth. It is interesting why he says the crimes were committed, how and what was going through the "killers'" mind, but what he says has to be taken with caution as he is a manipulator and does not always tell the truth as anyone who knows the crimes will know - some lies the researchers will even point out.

Personally, I find books about him more interesting than this book. Don't expect too much. I wouldn't say it is an easy read as he does get quite technical as he has studied psychology himself and whether he is actually telling what he is thinking or showing off his academic knowledge is another question to ask.

I agree with one review that says the book leaves you with more questions than answers. I put the book down without learning much
on 7 December 2014
This book should be called 'how not to interview Ted Bundy'. Unless you are interested in reading the totally unskilled interviewing techniques of an egotistical cop, avoid this book. The first few chapters where Stephen is interviewing are fairly interesting, but once Hugh takes over all we get is Bundy running rings around him and avoiding answering anything. Most of the dialogue is from the interviewer and not from Ted.
on 21 January 2013
I found this book very useful. Although it was written for a general audience, it contains enough hard info and science to have been very useful when writing my doctoral thesis. I read it in conjunction with Morton Bain's Psychopath! which is a fictional account of a serial killer, but written by a diagnosed psychopath. The two together proved invaluable.
on 21 May 2016
I was quite disappointed with this book, Ted Bundy in his own words, he did everything but admit to the murders of those poor girls, he is a coward, I kinda lost interest in the book as it wasn't going anywhere really, the only living witness is far better book to read
on 8 March 2009
if you have a hoppy about reading books on serial killers then this will be one of the best books you`ii read.written in plain english does`nt babble to fill up pages like some books and a very good read.ted bundy is one of the worst and yet facinating killers but this book doesnt gloryfy him which it should`nt so if your interested in the detective side of the story then your enjoy this book.