on 9 February 2010
To clear up any confusion, i own a 3Gs which was new on a Vodafone contract 20th January 2010, so to date, is loaded with the newest software updates etc. And this item works perfectly with it, there is no compatability problems( SEE UPDATE BELOW!).
Anyway it arrived very well packaged and inside the small box it comes in was a little instruction book explaining what to do etc.
It has a removeable rubber cover(stays on better than a hard plastic one) to protect the protruding connector when not plugged in, and in the bottom it has a connection the same as the iphone etc so this is where you plug in your cable to charge it up. it measures 63mm wide by 60mm high(not including the protruding connector) by 14mm thick. On the back it states, Capacity-1900mAh, Input 5v 800mA and Output 5v 500mA. It has a little button on the top right which when pressed will light up, up to 4 of the blue led's to show what state of charge it is in, the finish is nice, shiny black with a small chrome outlining just about visible in the pic.
For the price its a brilliant piece of kit, i've only just got mine today so cannot comment on usage but there's enough reviews saying how good it is. The back has nicely rounded edges whereas the front is pretty sharp/no blending on the edge. Does exactly what its supposed to, and for the £[] or so price is a wonderful bit of kit to own for your iphone. Delivery- it arrived on the tuesday(ordered weekend) so really impressive. All in all i'm very glad i bought it from Amazon!!!!! Recommended!

Ok update after using this a few times!!!!

I have been experiencing the 'accessory is not compatible with this iphone' sort of message, which means the iphone stops recieving a charge. Seems a random thing where it can charge from 5% up to 90% then suddenly stop accepting the charge, or, it can do it after 30seconds.
It just means you will need to unplug it for 5 seconds or so then reconnect it. That seems to sort it. Also, i get one full charge from say 10% up to 100% then maybe another 10% extra charge then its flat. it charges at 1% every 1min 35seconds. So 0-100% will be 100x 1min 35seconds, about... well its about the same as what it would charge up if plugged into the mains charger or pc.
88 comments| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2011
Many Thanks for watching.
66 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2009
Just wanted to add another positive review to encourage customer investigation of this product. this product really exceeded my expectations. It is easy to use and convenient to carry, has wonderful design relative to phone, and really helps me feel more secure when I'm traveling or heavily using my I-phone. It really increases the value of my phone since the battery is unfortunately its biggest liability, and I don't think I could live without it now. Highly recommend!
on 29 August 2009
This is a great add on for an iphone or any ipod where the headphone jack is on the top, however for an ipod touch this is not so good as you can not charge your ipod and have the headphones pluged in at the same time(you would need a male to female ipod cable in order to distance the battery pack enough to get the headphones in, these are hard to find and cost more that the charger does)

Saying that if all you want to do is charge your ipod touch this is ideal, has a great amount of charge in it, shame you can not use your headphones at the same time.
on 17 January 2011
This product is a life-saver!

Let's take a quick look at the pros:

1) It's cheap. Really, just over a tenner for a backup battery for your iPhone. Perfect!
2) It's easy to use - just plug it in to your iPhone charger. The indicator lights show when it's charged.
3) It looks cool-ish. Ok, so it's not as gorgeous as your iPhone, but it's not bad. It's certainly not ugly.
4) It works beautifully. Just plug it in to your iPhone - it charges and powers the phone perfectly.
5) It's small. Charge it, then drop it in your bag/pocket. Forget about it. Remember it when you need it.

And the cons:
1) You can't charge both the iPhone and the charger at the SAME time. Not that big a con.
2) There is no real support for the charger when plugged in to the iPhone, so you'll need to hold it carefully or put it flat on a table.

That's about it! The pros certainly outweigh the cons, and ... it's cheap! It works, and has saved my bacon on numerous occasions. You're out for the day, need your phone for lots and lots of things (making calls, sending texts, surfing the web, checking email, playing games, listening to music, watching a movie etc.). Half-way through the day, your battery's looking tired - no worries, pop this little baby in, stick the phone in your bag and get on with something else. Come back later, phone recharged!

Would I buy another? I did. For my sister, when she got her iPhone. I hope that's recommendation enough.
on 11 January 2010
I was comparing this product with the Kensington battery pack but the latter costs 3 times more. After some pondering, I decided to try this out since it has alot of positive feedback and at a relatively affordable price.

I bought this for my 16gb iPhone 3G (firmware 3.1.2.) so that I can charge the phone battery whilst I'm out and about without my car (I also have a Kensington in-car charger that I always use whenever I'm driving). It is roughly half the size of the iPhone (half the length but same width) and can easily put it in my pocket. Have tried it 3 times since I've bought it, on average it recharges my battery to full nearly 2 times from approx. 15% status before it runs out.

It does come with a manual but in quite small prints (so bring out your reading glasses). In the manual, it mentions that the battery pack can fully charge just over 1 time. The connector has a silicon cover over it but would definitely benefit from a hard cover for protection, something similar to the USB pen drive cover.

Also, take note that you're not supposed to charge your iPhone and the battery pack concurrently. It is warned (as per the manual) that this will damage the battery and cause it to fail. Have not tried it, wouldn't want to risk it either!

In summary, I have not tried other battery packs on the market so I wouldn't be able to give a fair comparison. All I can say is this product works with my iPhone and is very straight forward to use. It is not too pricey so worth giving it a try. Have given this 4-star instead of 5 purely because of the lack of protection on the connectors.
on 31 January 2008
Bought a silver Nano for the wife for Christmas,got these as an extra, found them to be fantastic value for money and a very good product.
on 21 August 2009
Basically I have nothing to add to the other users, just want to confirm: this item is definitely useful!
Comes without a manual but is ready to use and well, you don't need a manual. Plug it to your iPhone/iPod and it will charge. Press the small button on the battery to see how much energy is left. Very simple. If it's empty, charge it itself.
Tech facts: took nearly 3 hours to fully charge my iPhone 3 GS (20% to 100%) and the ext. battery is still at 50%. So it will be enough for another go.
on 13 January 2010
This thing is brilliant! If you have an ipod touch or iphone you need this! I travel a lot and use my iphone and ipod touch for watching films and wi fi internet.I tried it out using my iphone as a dab radio (with wonderradio app!)and powered the iphone all day with this! It charges the iphone/ipod until its full and maintains the full power using the devices power first.People have commented on how brittle the power connection is,but with care i can't see this being a problem.You couldn't have this fitted to the iphone and walk round with it as its heavy and bulky compared to the iphone but on a table or in your hands not a problem.It is finished in a cool brushed black aluminium and silver cover,with 4 blue led lights for power indication.At this price you got to buy this simple!
on 15 December 2009
I bought this external battery because I was sick and tired of my iPhone running out of battery and dying on me after less than 12 hours of decent use whilst I was at conferences (where I didn't have a computer or poweropnit to charge from).

I'd seen other, more expensive, external batteries elsewhere but since all I was wanting to do was give an occasional top-up charge I decided to take a punt and throw a tenner at this battery. I'm glad that I did. Comparing this to the built in iPhone's capacity of 1400mAh, this looked like it should be able to get at least a full extra charge out of the iPhone before it died. Which, it did.

Yes, the connector might be a little unprotected, but I've happily thrown this into my bag and so far it's not got broken. The power indicator on the front is easy enough to press to see how much charge you have left available, and it's nice and easy to charge the battery up when you need to - you simply connect it up to an iPod cable, just like you would with your iPhone. Simple.

I'd absolutely recommend this battery to my friends (in fact, I already have).