on 6 November 2012
I bought this book in the expectation that it would provide me with some handy hints and tips on embraking down the road of becoming a TEFL teacher. I was not disappointed!! I think what impressed me most was the anecdotal evidence that has been collected from real people who have made the leap to TEFL teaching, whether they are gap year students looking to travel the world funded by teaching or, like me, looking for a change in career later on in life. The advice on working conditions and required qualifications for each country is also invaluable. I would highly recommend this book for an honest assessment of the pros and cons of TEFL. And no, it hasn't put me off in the slightest!
on 30 September 2013
this book has lots of information, but nothing you can not find onthe internet easily. no much detail, which is what is more needed
on 5 February 2010
This book (the 6th edition) was a great starting point for me when I began my TEFL career. As previous reviewers have said, it's very well-organized and it's easy to pick out the information you need without having to read the whole thing. I found myself referring to it at least once a week for one thing or another.

However, I have a question for anybody who has bought more recent editions. Is it still as useful a resource for the new teacher as it used to be or has it been made redundant by the wealth of information now available on the internet?

The reason I ask is because I have a relative who's interested in starting a career in TEFL, and I'd like to get an idea of this book's usefulness (compared to the internet) before I recommend it to him. Bear in mind, he's not THAT internet savvy!

That aside, thanks Susan Griffith for all the help your book gave me in the first daunting (yet promising) years

Dan
on 26 April 2009
was expecting a chapter on how non-white teachers can expect to get work.

what i have read is that its not necessarily easy for teachers from non-white ethnic minority backgrounds to get work in asia.

not the case in this book,,,