on 11 September 2012
I have used various products for programming over many years - but am not a computer programmer. It is some time since I looked at programming in 'Windows' and have memories of VB6 and VBA.

This book provided a good coverage of topics that should enable most people to have their first project up and running with. For my next project I wanted to create some fixed drawings from code (select outlines of boxes or cylinders type stuff) - there is quite sufficient coverage to allow me to do that. I also want to link to (simple) but true databases ( to look material properties and record results of calculations). Again sufficient information to allow me to do that is in this book.

What I really appreciate is the understanding of how .NET is organised. How to get at those things I have vague recollection about (particularly file IO). The 'new' error handling structure (try, catch & finally) has been helpful.

Much if the if..then..else; do..while etc I was familiar with, along with events.

So for me this book has been worth the money, and no doubt I will use it for reference until my fluency is regained.
on 19 April 2012
It's a decent book for getting started, i did study VB many years ago but a bits changed since then so i broguht this book just to jump back in to the new version.

My primary area for re-learning was saving data and this book covers ADO.net for saving in a database but you need to create the database in Access which was no good to me since i don't have Microsoft Office Professional £370. Or MS Access £90

I wanted to use the database features included in VB but they don't seem to work using the method the book shows (I might be doing something wrong there but)

I have other tutorials online which have helped me through my troubles.

This book is a great source though for getting into VB, the DVD comes with an official copy of Visual basic express and as mentioned by others it would be better if the project codes came on a CD however you can register to the website and type the code provided and you can download a zip file with everything in.
on 27 May 2015
Nicely laid out, sensible size chapters on each topic. Good clear explanations and plenty of examples. A very good introduction to the subject.
on 22 November 2015
Great does what it says on the tin. Great service arrived on time
on 26 July 2014
Very insightful and really handy if you want to get a start into programming with visual basics
on 3 August 2015
good start book still use it now
on 6 February 2013
A very interesting book which has given me the information I needed. It arrived on time and was well packaged.
on 17 February 2011
A very fine book, written by an author with indepth subject knowledge. No errors have been detected. Perhaps just one comment, it would have been very helpful if the companion code had been included on the enclosed DVD.
on 24 January 2013
Great book, arrived on time and in condition as described. Very impressed with the books clear layout with wasy to follow steps. Particularly like the way the book builds on an example created in first chapter, in subsequent chapters. Would definitelty recommend to a friend.
on 2 July 2014
Great book that gets you off to a fast start. Definitly recommended for those getting started with Visual Basic.