Customer reviews

on 15 September 2009
I bought the book after it was recommended to me by my local bee keeping association. I also showed it to a friend of mine who has been keeping bees since 1972. He had a look through it and thought it was a very good book to learn the basics from. There is a breakdown of what to do every month in the book. As a test, he thought of a month, told me what he did in that month and we both checked the book. What he said was written under that month. It has been written by people from the Midlands and so is very relevant to this country. Everything is very clear and concise. The colour photographs in the middle of the book are very relevant as some show the diseases to look for. There are diagrams throughout the book to help with explanations. I am using it as a starting point before I take lessons on bee keeping and well before I keep bees.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 July 2015
Great introduction to beekeeping. Tells everything you need to know! This book was recommended by an experienced beekeeper.
on 13 October 2014
good practical book for the beginner, easy to follow not too technical
on 9 September 2014
good reference book
on 3 March 2009
A very readable introduction to bee keeping. Well set out concentrating on the basics. I cannot imagine keeping bees without using this book.
6 people found this helpful
on 9 June 2006
This is a great book, up to date, current and easy for the novice beekeeper such as myself. I cant reccomend it highly enough.
21 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2009
a well writen and up to date little book a must have for new beekeepers
6 people found this helpful
on 13 July 2009
As an introduction to bee keeping I was dissapointed to find Victorian methods culling and the use of chemicals being advocated by the author.
If you are a little more forward thinking on the subject of the natural world or wish to keep bees for the bees sake rather than your own you will need to go elsewhere.
3 people found this helpful