Sams Teach Yourself iOS 5 Application Development in 24 Hours (Sams Teach Yourself...in 24 Hours) Paperback – 30 Dec 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
There is a newer edition of this item:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
In just 24 sessions of one hour each, learn how to build powerful applications for today’s hottest handheld devices: the iPhone and iPad! Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you’ll master every skill and technology you need, from setting up your iOS development environment to building great user interfaces, sensing motion to writing multitasking applications. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common iOS development tasks.
Quizzes and Exercises at the end of each chapter help you test your knowledge.
By the Way notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Did You Know? tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Watch Out! cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Printed in full color―figures and code appear as they do in Xcode
- Covers iOS 5.0 and up
- Learn to navigate the Xcode 4.2+ development environment
- Prepare your system and iDevice for efficient development
- Get started quickly with Apple’s Objective-C and Cocoa Touch
- Understand the Model-View-Controller (MVC) development paradigm
- Visually design and code interfaces using Xcode Storyboards, Segues, and the iOS Object Library
- Build advanced UIs with Tables, Split Views, Navigation Controllers, and more
- Read and write preferences and data, and create System Settings plug-ins
- Use the iOS media playback and recording capabilities
- Take photos and manipulate graphics with Core Image
- Sense motion, orientation, and location with the accelerometer, gyroscope, and GPS
- Integrate online services using Twitter, Email, Web Views, and Google Maps
- Create universal applications that run on both the iPhone and iPad
- Write background-aware multitasking applications
- Trace and debug your applications as they run
Covers iOS 5, Xcode 4.2+, Storyboards, iPhone, iPad, and More!
Additional files and updates available online
About the Author
John Ray is currently serving as a Senior Business Analyst and Development Team Manager for the Ohio State University Research Foundation. He has written numerous books for Macmillan/Sams/Que, including Using TCP/IP: Special Edition, Teach Yourself Dreamweaver MX in 21 Days, Mac OS X Unleashed, and Teach Yourself iPad Development in 24 Hours. As a Macintosh user since 1984, he strives to ensure that each project presents the Macintosh with the equality and depth it deserves. Even technical titles such as Using TCP/IP contain extensive information about the Macintosh and its applications and have garnered numerous positive reviews for their straightforward approach and accessibility to beginner and intermediate users.
You can visit his website at http://teachyourselfios.com or follow him on Twitter at #iOSIn24.
Top customer reviews
All in all a very helpful book and reasonably priced considering that it may well lead to a world class app!!
I would highly recommend this book and for someone new to Object Oriented programming and Objective C, then buy it in conjunction with Stephen Kochan's excellent 'Programming in Objective C'.
Some chapters are a little heavy to digest in an hour but overall the book is well written and clear, pictorial examples are easy to follow.
Definitely worth the purchase.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category