Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 December 2014
Thoroughly enjoyable foodie read about Monsieur Blanc's humble beginnings to his current multi-branch success of eateries, with a generous seasoning of Maman Blanc's home-style recipes that ignited his initial passion and tastebuds as well as some other successful recipes of Raymond's.
Loved reading all the anecdotes and couldn't wait to try out some of the recipes too!

Bon Appetit!
on 24 February 2011
I have many many books - especially cook books - & have to rate this as one of the nicest & most inspirational I have read recently.
Apart from the quality of writing that other reviewers have described along with the general gist of the book, I would like to add that I have tried many of the given recipes interspersed within the text & found nearly all of them to be delicious & well explained.
The most useful being the marvelous method for cooking any veg quickly, healthily & tastily (with a knob of butter, hardly any water & a high heat) - not really a recipe I know, but it's great when you can take away a really useful tip from a book that you can use on a regular basis without further reference.
Highly recommended.
on 24 May 2017
A well written enjoyable read with amusing anecdotes. An added bonus was the recipes which I was not expecting. If you enjoy watching Monsieur Blanc on the television, I would recommend this book.
on 2 April 2013
A Taste of My Life
Raymond Blanc
Just started to read this book. If you like Raymond Blanc then this book is for you ;-)
on 25 May 2011
Remembrances of garden tomatoes ripening on our window sill came back to me while reading Raymond Blanc's memoir - I'd forgotten...
I never did learn to taste dirt as a child.
Perhaps I would be in the kitchen instead of at the drawing board if I had.

Altogether a warm and very personal look inside growing up in provincial France. And thusly how the joys of quotidienne French country life in a small village led to fine restaurants, glamour and excellent cuisine.
Captivating!
on 22 January 2009
A humble insight into the upbringing and life of a Michelin star chef who really cares about where he has come from, his childhood inspiration for cooking and how a planned visit to a Michelin start restaurant at the age of 18 (blowing his whole fortune on a meal) inspired him to great achievements. Having been to Le Manoir and also living in Oxford I was intrigued as to who he 'really' is and this book reveals all the highs and lows endured to reach the top.............and stay there for decades.
on 28 September 2010
Excellent book with recipes as a bonus. You can see from his determination why he has become the person he is. Just one example: when he was a waiter in a borderline restaurant, he made sure his tables were the cleanest, with the crockery and glasses gleaming. He always makes the most of whatever the situation is, to improve. You will want only to cook your own food after reading this and never buy a ready made meal.Organic and fresh food is now high priority. A great read.
on 8 July 2010
What a wonderfull book, before reading it I had a great fondness for Raymond Blanc, but now I feel a true respect for one of the worlds great chefs, businessmen,father and a person who has a passion to share his knowledge.
Not only do you learn about the man but you improve your own cooking skill, and understand the power of shearing.
Hard work and focus must be tempered with careing. One of my best reads ever.
on 3 February 2013
I found the story of Raymond Blanc's life a gripping read. The recipes here can be quite complicated but he dishes out good tips that any aspiring chef would find useful. However, it is not the recipes or tips that make the book so great but rather it is the story about his life that I found most inspiring. Through his life story and the ups and downs that he relates, I can really appreciate and admire his perseverance, determination and his doggedness in sticking to his principles. I was very moved by how he sought to be best waiter back in France and would take pride in serving his customers well even when carrying out mundane tasks, and how he would polish the glasses till they shone. He took such great pride in his work; it is both inspiring and humbling to read. This kind of work ethic is sorely lacking in today's young and if I could, I would make every young person read this book when they first venture out to the working world.
I like Raymond Blanc, and I particularly enjoy his television show, The Restaurant. I respect his views on food and service very much. I had heard good things about his book and was looking forward to reading it. By and large I wasn't disappointed, and I liked learning about his early life in France, and how he came to end up making his life and business in Oxford. However, there's a lot of technical information about food and cookery in this book. I enjoy reading about food and cooking, but I did find myself wanting more about Raymond's life, and less about the technique.

Nevertheless, this is an enjoyable book, and one which I would recommend to anybody who likes Monsieur Blanc and cookery, or is interested in learning more about the restaurant trade.