on 1 April 2017
If you really want to make amazing bread, Chad Robertson is your man. Unlike many English writers who put the emphasis on the 'sour' in Sourdough, Chad explains how to make beautiful bread with easy to make natural leaven (no yeast), without the need for the sour taste that many dislike.

It has long been held that modern baking methods, using excessive yeast and energy are the cause of many people's intolerance to bread. Robertson helps to explain this, along with his well researched, long refined and detailed methodology for making outstanding bread.

Stylish design with hundreds of outstanding photographs and a striking cover mean this will be a go-to book for many home bakers and a attractive addition to the coffee table for others.

Stunning!
5 people found this helpful
on 16 October 2015
I was hesitant to buy another book about baking bread. I had already spent a fortune and my bread wasn't were I wanted. Two bakers I deeply respect recommended this book and it was worth it. I don't have time to go through the story of bread and the personal experience of the author, which are the first chapters. I followed the nontraditional way of baking suggested and got simply spectacular results from the first time. Book contains so many pictures of the steps that even if you don't get the instructions, the pictures clarify any doubts you might have
4 people found this helpful
on 22 February 2016
I bought this book some time ago and got very inspired by the enthusiasm of the author but never made any of his bread because I was a bit baffled by the 'cast iron combo cooker' that seemed to be essential to getting a perfect result. Having just worked out that a baking dome (from Bakery Bits) does the same job I started to make my starter, made a leaven, and then made a couple of truly fantastic loaves at my first attempt. I can now see why people become obsessed with sourdough. This is a lovely book with excellent photo illustrations to help you from straying off-piste.
3 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2016
I bought this book having read other reviews but clearly misunderstood because I thought it was purely a sourdough book, which it isn't. However the section on sourdough is excellent and the tartine method, much to my surprise really does work. It's a bit of a faff having to keep washing your hands and stretching the bread so often but the resulting loaf is worthwhile.
One person found this helpful
on 20 December 2015
If you not only want to make wonderfully textured, great tasting bread, but understand the process behind it, then this is an excellent book. Step-by-step photos and instructions as to how to make the easily-manageable starter ( much more useful than the tried and failed processes I've attempted in the last 2 years!) right through to finished loaf. Excellent.
In addition, it's a very tactile book, well photographed, and with many extra recipes to use up 'leftover bread' ( not a that there's much left over in our house right now).
Might be a little too much for those who have never baked bread before, but it's a great resource, interesting, and well- written, including the narrative of Chad Robertson's bread making voyage.
Highly recommended. Now, where's that dough go to?
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2018
I am fully into sourdough and this book is a must have.

This is a lovely book that tells the story of Chads journey whilst also being a recipe book. It touches on various breads and related recipes, but centres around sourdough.

I love this book
on 8 April 2014
Brilliant book for all those wishing to make their own sour dough bread. The author is clearly a world expert on all aspects of artisan bread making. Before finishing the book he had a number of people try out his recipe and techniques and then went to their houses to discuss their experiences and see the results of their efforts. There were even some who had never previously baked a loaf of bread! So the reader can be certain that the recipes work even for those who have never before attempted bread making.
2 people found this helpful
on 14 September 2013
This book was recommended to me by Ben of the E5 bakery after attending a day course (which I can also heartily recommend. ) Tartine is a stunning book beautiful photographs and very detailed explanations. Anyone interested in baking bread without yeast should get this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 21 March 2018
I have managed to made a decent sourdough loaf using the instructions in this book. I love this book and see this being used for many years to come
on 7 May 2016
This book along with the Dutch combo oven has transformed my bread making and has effortlessly taken my bread to another level.

If you follow the easy instructions you will end up with an outstanding loaf, first attempt.

I spent ages using Bertinet's method of knead to limited success and maximum effort, this however has blown all previous attempts out of the water.

If I had to keep one book, it would be this, no question.
review image