- Amazon Student Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Taoism for Dummies Paperback – 3 Sep 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
- Explore the origins of Taoist philosophy and religion
- Grasp the multiple interpretations of Taoism today
- Find out about Taoist practices and customs
The friendly guide to understanding the rich history and modern practice of Taoism!
Exploring the philosophy, practices, and scriptures of one of the world′s major religions and one of the oldest Taoism For Dummies provides a comprehensive introduction to this fascinating and influential religious tradition. Whether you′re a student of religion or just curious about Taoism, this fun and friendly guide explains in plain English the fundamental concepts of Taoism, explores in depth the origins and multiple interpretations of the religion, and goes into detail about what it means to be a Taoist.
- Start with Taoism 101 learn the fundamentals and debunk the main myths about Taoism
- Follow the evolution of Taoism find out how Taoism has developed from Classical Taoist philosophy to institutionalized religion to western Taoism
- Unlock important Taoist concepts explore the Tao, yin and yang, and wu–wei
- Learn about the many texts of Taoism delve into the Tao Te Ching, as well as other texts from the rich body of Taoist scriptures
- Explore Taoist practices find out how followers bring Taoism into their daily lives
Open the book and find:
- The origins of Taoism
- Taoist attitudes toward life
- The life and teachings of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu
- Types of Taoism in China and the West today
- How to understand the Taoist concept of doing everything by doing nothing
- A look at the Taoist practices of alchemy, meditation, t′ai–chi, and martial arts
- Advice on acquiring Taoist wisdom
- Ten common misconceptions about Taoism
About the Author
Jonathan Herman, PhD, is the Director of Undergraduate Studies and Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Georgia State University in Atlanta, where he teaches courses in Taoism, Confucianism, Buddhism, Shinto, world religions, comparative mysticism, and critical theory in the study of religion. He has written extensively on various aspects of Taoism, Chinese religion, and modern religious issues.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com