on 11 June 2015
Did a lot of research on this spec of lens. Was reluctant to pay full price for it as it has mixed reviews. However I got a used one from Amazon today for £120.00. Let me just say I would happily have paid full price. I use a Pentax K-3 and the results are just fantastic. Do not hesitate on this lens, you will not be disappointed. I have bought gear five times this price and they don't come close. For sure this will be my stock lens for most shoots.
review image
3 people found this helpful
on 27 March 2012
I bought this lens as I needed a faster lens for band photography - usually in murky pubs! I was a bit worried about the lack of VC, but as I need to be at 1/90th or more anyway to freeze the movement of the band it hasn't been a problem. I have to use it at 2.8 nearly all the time and the results are fine. Stopped down to 5.6 or 8 the sharpness is amazing.
The lens feels solid. A bonus is the free five year guarantee - this needs to be registered for , and it did get a bit confusing as I bought it through Amazon UK, and it came from France, but the serial number showed it as from Germany. The registration is Europe-wide so there were no problems in the end - just need to translate the German registration confirmation documents now....
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 29 August 2017
On my canon 70D focusing is very fast and has no problem tracking movig subjects. This lens is very sharp. I think even the equivalent Canon lens will it find it difficult to match even though it's twice the price. It is also lighter than the competition. The lens does make a noise when fousing but not much and in practice it's lost any surrounding noise.
on 27 April 2012
What can I say? This lens was purchased as an upgrade to the very disappointing 18-55mm Canon kit lens that came with my 400D. This Tamron is leagues ahead of it in terms of build, and image quality.

To start with from the box this lens looks and feels so much more substantial than ANY of my Canon lenses. It is actually heavier than my 55-250mm telephoto and I see this as a good sign of the quality of construction and the materials used in the Tamron.

The 17-50mm focal range makes this an ideal everyday/walk around choice. I have used the lens at both extremes of wide and zoom and I'm really impressed with it. This lens doesn't have image stabilization on it, but I honestly haven't felt a need for it even in low light hand held shots, the f2.8 aperture across the whole focal range make it very versatile in low light scenarios if you need to take a snap in less than ideal conditions. Not to mention the fantastic depth of field that can be achieved with this lense.

I have used this lens for landscapes both at day and night, handheld and on a tripod. As well as portraits and car photoshoots. The Tamron has excelled at everything I've thrown at it, images are very sharp and colours are vibrant. I think the image quality rivals my Canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens. I have taken the same landscape photos back to back with the Tamron at 50mm on a tripod several times and I canon see a significant difference.

Buy this lens and bin the kit lens you will not be dissapointed!
on 21 February 2014
This barely ever leaves my camera, I only swap it for the 50mm 1.8 when I need to. It's incredibly convenient, 17-50mm on a crop sensor is a very versatile range, distortion has an odd pattern to it but in general use is hardly noticeable.

It is slightly soft which is a shame, pictures are never as tack sharp as you'd like them to be, but f/2.8 throughout is a life saver and perfect for filming video
on 3 October 2012
Got this lens from Amazon in SEPT. Purchased for live music sessions mounted on a Canon 40D as a step up from a general purpose travel lens.

After recent testing in a couple of live venues, I'm really pleased with the results. Shots are sharp even at f2.8 and the wider aperture compared to a standard lens is a huge plus for low light work.

Build quality is good and feels sturdy and a nice weight. Auto focus is relatively quick, but is a bit loud compared to USM lenses (but that doesn't bother me). Factor in the price and I am very happy with this lens. A good buy and would recommend.
5 people found this helpful
on 23 July 2015
I use this lens for 12 hours a week for my residency at a Nightclub. It works great on my 600d, it's very durable and the wide angle is very useful when there isn't room to step back any further. Also very good I'm low light conditions, much better than a kit lens.
on 4 December 2017
fantastic lens and works perfectly with my Canon 550D. No issue whatsoever and considerably cheaper than a Canon one.
on 12 December 2012
Amazon are treading a fine line here: the product is described as 'new' but the one i received clearly had been opened and used and included a hoya filter fitted to the lens with a finger print on!!! I've had a quick look and all seems fine with the lens so far, however selling a opened and used item is new is not an honest way to proceed.
4 people found this helpful
on 25 April 2018
Fungus started growing in the lens right after I bought this. Cannot clean it professionally even, so I'm having to buy a new lens. Not good!