Customer reviews

Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Lens for Canon
Style: Canon|Change

on 15 March 2017
Good things first: excellent, useful zoom range (ideal for garden birds, for example, which is why I bought it);
Images so far seem sharp throughout;
Lovely background blur at 300mm;
VC REALLY works - once it grabs, it doesn't let go. In favourable conditions i can shoot hand-held at 300mm as slow as 1/20th of a second;
Distinctive Tamron colours and image quality - a big pro for me.

Now for the downsides: this lens is LOUD in operation. The VC really lets you know it's locked on and then let go again, and whirrs constantly when operating;
the autofocus mechanism is also far from silent, demonstrating a distinct robotic, motorised whirr when changing from close to distant focus;
Autofocus isn't the swiftest;
Zoom ring is stiff and jerky at certain portions (between about 150-250mm);
It is cumbersome. It looks and feels daft on my piddly Canon 700D.

I have yet to decide whether my noise problems are the norm for this lens and/or whether i can put up with them, or if i've got a bad copy and need to replace it. Other than its loudness, i do really like this lens.
review image review image review image review image
on 24 July 2015
For someone just starting on my high level photography equipment journey i wanted a long lens without breaking the bank and this more than does the job. Easy to use, good results, more than happy. Having missed on some amazing shots of Ospreys I do now want to invest in a longer lens, but for this focal range it's a great great lens (and I prefer to a similar Nikon version that my Dad has...).
review image review image review image review image review image
on 19 March 2017
After spending a few months reading reviews on various 300mm zoom lenses, I decided to go for this one...and I'm very happy I did! It's quite heavy as it's well built but it's not a lens I would leave attached to my camera for everyday use. The image stabiliser is great and allows you to take hand held shots in decent light without blurring. All in all a great lens for the price.
on 27 July 2017
Superb lens. I bought a second-hand cropped sensor dslr body to take on trip rather than use heavy full frame and needed a long zoom lens to go with it. I read other reviews and this one was recommended. It is excellent and I was able to get really good results on my trip to Mexico. It is not too big for what it does. I can use it on my full frame camera too although the zoom is not quite so effective. Excellent product.
on 6 April 2017
Fabulous lens - loving the Image Stabiliser (compared to my old kit 70-300mm with no IS) really enjoyed using it and getting clear crisp shots. Only thing to get used to is that Tamron lenses zoom the other way to Canon, but a minor issue. Would thoroughly recommend and a great price!
on 12 June 2017
After many many moths of researching a budget lens, I bought this and have no been disappointed. The VC and USD are what you would expect on much more expensive lenses.
On the few days it hasn't been pouring down I have had some excellent, sharp photos with it and is now my go to lens.
Now if only the rain would stop long enough for me to use it more :D
on 27 March 2012
It's my first Tamron lens and I'm very happy with it so far.

It's quite a nice weight & is made of some decent quality plastics and has a pinch type lens cap so you can get it off quite easily even with the lens hood (supplied) in place on the lens.

I've used it about a dozen times so far and the picture quality so far has been very good indeed.

The Vibration Control aka Image Stabilisation is silent & the autofocus whilst silent, isn't as fast a say a Canon lens, but it's not slow by any means, tested it out on a High Speed Train and it was able to cope quite easily.

Whilst you can't expect it to match the quality of a Canon L lens, it's a good VFM option, should you want a 70-300mm lens and can't afford the £1000+ price tag of an L lens.
review image review image
on 11 May 2016
Good value lens (I bought the Canon mount) and good image stabilisation, but like all lenses of this cost and type, very poor between 200-300mm, noticeably less sharp, lacking contrast and showing softness at all apertures. From 70-200mm not bad at all. But no better than the Canon 70-300IS.
on 25 May 2015
Great lens to buy if you want to upgrade from a kit lens or a cheaper tele lens. I use this on my canon 60d and it works very well, the autofocus is fast and the VC works well.
on 2 May 2017
Excellent zoom and landscape lense. I will be using this alot and would recommend anybody else to try this out