on 7 March 2016
First of all, I'm definitely a hobbyist photographer and not a professional. I can not state this enough.

I got a Canon 100D a couple of years ago now. With it came the standard kit lens, and the first lens I bought for it was a 50mm prime. I loved the 50mm, but when I was attending weddings, the constant lens swapping was doing my head in. So after quite a bit of research, I decided to get this lens.

My thinking was, the 2.8 aperture throughout the zoom was a big upgrade over my kit lens (was 3.5 - 5.5 from memory), and having 2.8 at 50mm was good enough to get away with not having to swap to my prime for those really good depth of field shots.

After having this lens for nearly a year now, and having using it at numerous weddings since, I can honestly say I love it. It matched every expectation I had from every review I'd read. The picture quality is great.

Being honest, it is a little on the heavy side (I assume that's the 2.8 at 70mm + IS), and after holding it for a whole the arms do start to ache, but you do get use to this. As I said, I'm quite lazy and don't want to constantly swap lens, and this worked really well for me in achieving that. The IS definitely helps when you get a little unstable too!
5 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2017
After a few weeks of wondering why this lens wasn't as sharp as I expected, assuming I was doing something wrong, I left it too late to return. I ended up sending it to Tamron's UK repairers. It needed parts replacing and this was done under the guarantee/warranty. Now, it functions well and is fairly sharp, but does not compare to the quality of the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 that I also own. I will use this lens for weddings, but overall, it didn't match my expectations, and I guess I was unlucky with this copy. My advice? If you aren't thrilled immediately, send it back.
One person found this helpful
on 1 August 2015
I have often thought about buying this lens and finally I have. WOW, it is every bit as good as I hoped. I ran some tests using various test targets and the performance is excellent at all apertures in the center and is good to excellent at the edges depending on aperture used. Chromatic aberration is within the limits you would expect. There is some slight distortion at both the extremes of the focal length range, but this is easily dealt with in Photoshop. I had heard reports that the lens had a tendency to back focus so I deliberately checked for this on both of my cameras and the focus was absolutely bang on the mark. I wish I had bought this lens ages ago as it is so good. The focus motor is silent and fast and the overall construction is solid and feels good. I tested the vibration reduction and was able to get about a 3 stop improvement with it switched on. The only slight downside is that the lens is heavy, but so are my cameras. All the tests were carried out on Canon 5D Mk II and 5D Mk III.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 December 2016
What can i say my wife hates is as she said it shows all her lines in her face, only joking it is a fantastic pro lens that beats the Nikon by a mile.for the price compared to the Nikon you have to pay double that includes VC.But if you are a snob pay the extra, I am going to stick with this fantastic lens thank you Tamron.
3 people found this helpful
on 8 March 2018
Bought this item after having followed it for nearly 2 years, and saw that the price had dropped by £50, hours after it dropped by another £50, I was so gutted, even asked Amazon if they could let me buy it at the lower price, only thing they could do was to cancel the order and reorder again, didnt really see what the difference was if I could get at a lower price by cancelling and reordering, but this is their policy, at least it arrived on time and even a day earlier than forecast, so now I am the proud owner of the Tamron 24-70 first impressions are its well made, feels bulky and heavy, but thats the rub if you own a full frame DSLR, having only used it around home at the moment, I can say I am impressed with the handling and quality of the images, everything is so sharp, even more than some of my Canon lenses as I use the 5d Mkiii, would have given it 5 stars to be honest, but the extra £50 has really teed me off.......
on 3 June 2014
I am well pleased with this not so little beauty. It's a pretty heavy beast but not, I'm told, as heavy as the Nikon version which doesn't have the amazing Vibration Control. There's no need for me to go on about how sharp it is, enough reviewers have already vouched for that!

I checked the auto focus with Tim Jackson's very simple focusing chart, ([...]), and found it was front focusing slightly but 5 + increments, on my D610 soon cured that. It does vignette noticeably at 2.8 but it's no biggy for me. It certainly doesn't matter a great deal as Studio portraits is what it will mainly be used for.

When I went online to Tamron to register this lens I met with a problem. The serial number was rejected by the registering software. Shades of grey import?

I phoned Tamron sales directly and spoke to a very friendly and helpful guy named Jim Mavor. He emailed a form to me to fill in with the Amazon receipt and two weeks later I got confirmation that my new toy was now duly registered!

Nice one Tamron!
One person found this helpful
on 24 January 2016
Extremely sharp lens, although I had to go to +12 AF Fine Tune on my Nikon D3s to get it sharp

maybe a little fine tuning needed for other cameras but thats the same with any lens
review imagereview image
4 people found this helpful
on 25 February 2015
I bought this lens as a direct replacement for the Canon 24-70 L 2.8 (v1). I guess many might be surprised at that but so far it's been a good decision - it is sharper than the Canon at 2.8 and works very well with my 5 MKIII's which I use primarily to photograph weddings - so a lot of indoor and outdoor heavy use.

Pluses
+ Sharpness
+ Build Quality
+ Vibration control / IS/ VC
+ excellent focus (after it has locked)

Negatives
- bigger than the 24-70 L
- lens cap doesn't stay on
- zooming isn't that smooth compared to the Canon
- autofocus seems to hunt a bit more

Overall I'm very happy with it and I'm selling my Canon L which has never been great with my full frame 5D MKIII.
on 9 March 2015
Serious Value for money . Had it now since Aug 2014 ..
Fab build, fast silent AF accurate , Sharp .. I have used the Canon Mk1 and Mark 2 24-70.2.8 L extensively and can compare somewhat . he zoom rind is opposite direction but it has a lock , and manual AF overide
This lens is at least 85-95% of Canon 24-70 2.8 L Mark 2 performance and equal or better than the Mk 1 plus IS ! ..which mean really silly low shutter and is smaller , though not exactly lightweight
" Sometimes" you get AF hunt , .. but 8-9 out of 10 times even in low light and poor contrast , one get keepers , and even with Canon , you dont get that 10/10 . My copy did not need microfine adjustment on the 7D and 5D Mk 3
Loving it and highly recommended if you can live without the red ring .. and have deep pockets
on 20 March 2018
A beautiful lens that has transformed my work. I’m no pro,& have just started doing my own fashion shoots. After some conciderable research as to what lens I should use I chose the Tamron. Comparatively priced with undeniable quality.
I have canon IS lenses but this Tamron f2.8 VC is easily as good. If you don’t get caught up in the product snobbery you will realise that this is a high-end product at a reasonable price!
I now have 2 more Tamron f2.8 VCs on my wish list to complete my kit and can’t wait to own them!