- Also check our best rated Camera reviews
2 year Accidental Damage & Breakdown CoverLondon General Insurance Company Limited
- Accidental damage cover including mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- E-mail delivery of policy documents within 24 hours.
- If your product cannot be repaired, you choose between a replacement or an Amazon Gift Card to the value of a replacement.
- Cancel at any time; full refund within 45 days, proportional thereafter. Transferable if you sell or gift your product.
- Amazon Protect does not cover products purchased for business/commercial use and only covers products purchased on the same day from Amazon.co.uk. Please read the Policy Summary and Terms and Conditions located on the insurance product page before buying.
Tamron 24-70 mm F2.8 VC USD Lens for Canon
Order it now.
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Fast F/2.8 aperture throughout the entire zoom range. Compatible Mounts: For Canon, Nikon, Sony*3
- New VC anti-shake mechanism with 4-stop advantage. High speed lenses are bright, highly sensitive lenses that are able to take in a large amount of light
- USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) powers a speedy AF drive together with continuous manual focus control (Full-Time Manual/FTM)
- Ultra high quality images with 3 LD, 3 Glass Moulded Aspheric, 1 Hybrid Aspheric and 2 XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements
- Moisture-resistant construction helps prevent water from penetrating the lens
There is a newer model of this item:
Monthly payment options may be available on eligible orders of items sold by Amazon totaling £400 or more. Finance provided by Hitachi Personal Finance. Interest will be payable. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
Compare with similar items
Canon EF 24-70 mm f/4L IS USM lens
Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR VC Di II LD Aspherical (IF) (Canon Mount)
Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM Lens (filter thread 82 mm) for Canon lens bayonet black
Tamron 70-200 F/2.8 VC USD Canon Mount
Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical [IF] Macro Lens for Canon
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.co.uk||Amazon.co.uk||Carmarthen Cameras||Amazon.co.uk||Universal Product Solutions||Amazon.co.uk|
|Item Dimensions||8.8 x 8.8 x 11.6 cm||8.34 x 9.3 x 8.34 cm||7.96 x 7.96 x 9.45 cm||10.67 x 8.89 x 10.67 cm||8.6 x 8.6 x 19.7 cm||7.3 x 7.3 x 9.2 cm|
|Item Weight||0.83 kg||0.6 kg||440 grams||0.91 kg||1.47 kg||0.51 kg|
|Max Focal Length||70 mm||70 mm||50 mm||70||200 mm||75 mm|
|Min Focal Length||24 mm||24 mm||17 mm||24||70 mm||28 mm|
|Mounting Type||Canon EF / EF-S||Canon EF / EF-S||Canon EF / EF-S||Canon||Canon||Canonbayonet|
Style Name: Canon
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Tamron's SP 24-70mm is a high quality, highly functional, high speed standard zoom lens covering the 24-70mm focal range. It includes both Tamron's proprietary VC (Vibration Compensation) Image stabilization to reduce shake and its USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor, enabling speedy yet silent autofocusing.
This SP (Super Performance) series lens makes full use of specialized glass elements in its lens layout, designed with top priority on image quality, including three LD elements and two XR (Extra Refractive Index) elements.
Tamron has minimized all types of chromatic aberration in the SP 24-70mm, making it a lens at the top of its class whether you use it on a digital APS-C, full frame, or 35mm SLR camera.
The SP 24-70mm F/2.8 aperture enables a balance between brilliant resolution and beautiful soft blur effects. This ideal lens makes full use of Tamron's rounded diaphragm and the uncontrived, artistic blur that it provides. It is also Tamron's first lens to feature our new moisture-resistant construction.
Portraits, Landscapes, Studio Shoots, this is the lens for them all.
Capture the finest details of your images in precisely the way you have always wanted to and extend your art to the limits of your inspiration with the Tamron SP 24-70mm.
Tamron 24-70mm Lens
Flower-shaped lens hood
From the manufacturer
SP (Super Performance)
Only two letters - but what an impact they have on the results.
SP stands for Super Performance and represents the high-performance lens class from Tamron.
Our engineers were given a free hand in the design of these lenses and left no stone unturned to produce the optimal performance characteristics in each case. Take your camera to new frontiers - and pave the way for Super Performance.
Draw on the beauty of light
A constant-aperture high-speed standard zoom lens with image stabilisation
Playing with light, capture a subtle world of beauty.
A high-speed standard zoom lens featuring built-in Vibration Compensation.
Realizing both high performance and high image quality, this high-speed standard zoom lens offers 24mm to 70mm coverage together with Tamron's exclusive VC ( Vibration Compensation) system* and a USD ( Ultrasonic Silent Drive) motor for fast and quiet autofocus. Since this is a SP ( Super Performance) series lens, the optical design places the highest priority on image quality with the extensive use of special optics, including three LD ( Low Dispersion) lenses and two XR (Extra Refractive Index) lenses. The result is best-in-class image quality that reduces various types of distortion. In addition, the F/2.8 high speed and the circular diaphragm construction** enable this lens to achieve beautiful out-of-focus effects while the high resolution gives finely detailed images. In a Tamron first, a simple drip-proof structure is also featured. This full-spec standard zoom lens responds fully to the inspiration of the photographer.
* The Sony mount does not include the VC ( Vibration Compensation) system.
** The Tamron standard is that the almost-circular diaphragm form should be maintained from wide-open aperture to two stops down.
The Ultrasonic Silent Drive (USD) is Tamron's latest generation of autofocus motors. Thanks to the advanced motor technology and the newly developed software, the USD enables a fast, precise and almost silent photographic experience. There are few better options for capturing quick and dynamic subjects that arise in areas such as sports photography, fast cars or even wildlife photography
- Model No: A007
- Focal Length: 24-70mm
- Maximum Aperture: F/2.8
- Minimum Aperture: F/22
- Minimum Object Distance: 0.38m
- Maximum Magnification Ratio: 1:5
- Groups/Elements: 12/17
- Angle of view: 84-34
- Diaphragm Blades: 9
- Diaphragm Blades: 9 Filter Size: 82mm
- Diameter x Length: 88.2mm x 116.9mm
- Weight: 825g
VC (Vibration Compensation)
The VC Image Stabilizer delivers sharp and shake-free images, as well as a smooth viewfinder image. (Sony mount does not include the VC system).
USD (Ultrasonic Silent Drive)
Powerful ultrasonic motor for quick and dynamic subjects. It is extremely quiet, precise and allows manual control at any time.
Hybrid aspherical elements ensure unique image quality and compactness.
XR (Extra Refractive Index) Gl
A special glass with a particularly high refractive index for greater performance and a compact lens design.
Tamron's Super Performance series delivers a range of lenses that meet the highest standards.
The extension length of the lens does not change during focussing and the close focussing distance is significantly reduced across the entire focusing range.
LD (Low Dispersion)
LD lens element for greater image sharpness and the correction of chromatic aberration.
Zoom Lock (ZL) Mechanism
Protects against undesired extension of the lens barrel.
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
« Terrible » might sound a bit excessive so I’m going to explain. Mounted on my brand new Canon 5dMark III.,I was so glad to use it last summer, all the more that it was the first time I used a Tamron lense (and most probably the last time…).
I used this lense with a brand new upper range (and expensive) Hoya polarized filter. After a few days, I noticed Small and tiny scratches on my filter. At first, I had trouble understunding where they could come from. Indeeed, I always take gréât care of my gear and it had never happened to me before. After another week, I noticed there were more and more of those scratches on my filter. And then I understood ! The Tamron lense hood was the cause ! It’s been designed in a way that the mechanism is nearly at the same level as the edges. Not only it is absolutely not handy to use and place it in position, it completely ruined my filter !! Problem was solved after buying a Canon 82mm lense hood.
The worst thing in all of this is that Tamron Customer services never replied to several emails and deleted my post on their Facebook page whre I just asked for a reply.
In conclusion : if you want to purchase that lense, purchase a Canon lense hood and pray never to have to contact Tamron « Customer service ». Next time, I’ll stick to Vanon or Sigma.
Build / construction
The Tamron feels solid, the plastic is higher quality than the Canon 28-135 by far, and does not creak or creep. Has a lens barrel lock and smooth but firm feel to the focus and zoom rings. Plastic hood included and secures into place with a solid click. The lens cap is better than Canon's, having centre pinch ability. This does not feel quite as good as my metal 100-400 or 400 f/5.6, but many other 24-70 lenses are also mostly or all plastic.
Autofocus & VC
Much testing has been done on the autofocus speed, and after seeing some reviews online I was worried this might be a tad slower than some L glass. Not so. As far as I can tell without measuring, the autofocus is as fast and near silent. That said, very fast moving subjects are probably not this lenses' strongest point. The VC (Vibration Control) seems to work very well indeed. Noticeably good. I can take a useable shot at 70mm and only 1/6 sec. Impressive VC. It also is very quiet.
The big issue. Well despite the online video reviews clearly showing the Canon 24-70 II as being sharper in the corners and with less distortion, the reality for most people this seems like a non-issue. This lens to me seems sharp and works well even wide open at f2.8. I have uploaded an example shot which has had only very minor editing. Of course it is sharper when stopped down, but they all are. Image quality to me compared to kit lenses, the Canon 28-135 and Canon 100-400 L is very good indeed. Close inspection of certain areas of bokeh, namely lights, produces an onion ring effect, which is not too pleasing. This is a fairly minor effect though and overall not a huge issue.
I considered among other things the following points:
1) Buying non-Canon lens. I had never done so before and was worried about quality
2) Buying the 24-105 f4.0 from Canon
3) Buying the 24-70 f2.8 II from Canon
1) In this case buying non-Canon has not been an issue, the Tamron is high quality.
2) At the time of this review the Canon 24-105 is about the same price as the Tamron but it is only F4.0. Bear in mind f/2.8 lets in TWICE the light of f/4.0.
3) The Canon 24-70 f2.8 II is about a thousand pounds more expensive than the Tamron. It also does not have I.S. A 70mm lens without I.S sounds like something I don't want. I.S also help a lot if you video.
- The only 24-70 f2.8 lens with VC (IS)
- Great price compared to others
- Five year European warranty when you register online
- Great overall image and build quality
- Onion ring effect with certain out of focus areas
- Focus speed tad down on the more expensive Canon 24-70 f2.8 II
- More distortion and vignetting than the Canon 24-70 f2.8 II
- Zoom ring goes in the opposite direction to that of Canon, if you are used to that
- Overall a large and fairly heavy lens
I will update the review in due course if anything changes, but so far the Tamron is an impressive lens, and all things considered about the best 24-70 about.
***UPDATE AFTER TWO YEARS***
Everything I said in the review still stands. Great lens, my most used by far and has worked for thousands of shots and lots of situations without fault.
Saved myself a nice grand over the Canon and am very happy with the decision.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews