on 18 December 2014
I am a massive fan of Watership Down, which I've read countless times both as a child and an adult, so when I discovered only recently that this book existed I had to read it and I wasn't disappointed.

The first half is made up of new El-ahrairah stories, which although perhaps lose a certain something when not told in the context of a larger story, I still found compelling, mysterious and poignant. The second half is about what happened to the rabbits in the time after moving to Watership Down, and how they deal with new situations and problems. Many of these stories are to do with leadership and how to cope with splits and divisions of opinion; so once again you get to see Hazel's fair and level-headed approach to conflicts and decision-making.

I found it really enjoyable to catch up with the rabbits I remembered from the original book, and to see them forging new relationships with other rabbits who have their own interesting story to tell. I'm not completely sure how interesting this book would be to somebody who is not such a big fan of Watership Down, although the stories are entertaining in their own right and don't rely too heavily on you remembering what happens in the original book. In any case, I loved it, and if you feel like I do about the original Watership Down then it's well worth a read.
on 17 August 2004
I was eight years old when I read Watership down and ten when I read Tales from Watership down. I'm fifteen now. I found Watership Down a bit of a struggle, but now I love it! Tales from Watership Down was fantastic too - I found it easier than Watership Down and I enjoyed the exciting adventures of El-arairah and the events at Hazel-rah's warren. I think this book should be read after Watership Down, otherwise the tales would be rather confusing and difficult to follow.
on 24 October 2015
I purchased this as I liked "Watership Down" so much and felt I would like to meet my friends rabbits again.

Although while reading Watership I found El-ahrairah (a rabbit hero - trickster) intermissions ones I would try to read quicker, I fully enjoyed El-ahrairah here.
El-ahrairah stories takes two thirds of the book, but they make sense while depicting how it is to be a rabbit as well as discovering some or the other character of the warren, their relationship and daily being. Besides, they echo to aspects human experience, I guess rather inevitably, but thus compellingly.
I haven't finished my reading yet, but I do like it. I think Adams knows exactly what he wants to say and has a clear idea (though not always about things which are entirely clear), which results in good, up-to-a-point writing. And you have all the rabbits.

I reckon this reference might be handy rather to those who have read "Whatership Down" already, but then again it is most likely they will be the ones considering this. As was I.
on 6 April 2008
More of a companion piece than an actual sequel, the book has some wonderful moments, but lacks the spark that made the original so special. Aimed more at children this time around, the bok centres around a collcetion of stories split into 3 parts. Parts One and Two are based on traditional adventures of the rabbit-hero El-ahrairah. Part Three concerns the aftemath of the big battle on Watership Down.
And it is Part Three that forms most of the faults with this book, because it feels underwritten and and soulless. The tysle of the first two parts is written much like the stories of El-ahrairah were produced in the first book, but the same style is then used for Hazel's story. The writing feels completely different. It jars terribly for those who know the book so well.
Great for the kids aged 10 and under but for the adults, the concluding part is a little disappointing.
on 9 March 2014
A torrid tale of sex and violence set against the raw, uncompromising background of late 20th century home counties England and the terror of rural housing developments. All lagomorphic life is here...you will not be ashamed to cry.
I was however a little disappointed at the omission of a recipe book in the appendix.
on 13 October 2000
If you've read Watership Down (and no doubt you loved it), this collection of short stories is a must have! Meet Hazel, Fiver, Bigwig and the rest as they tell each other stories of El-ahrairah (and some other stories that are really very funny) and discover what they have all become since their return from Efrafa.
on 13 January 2006
The original Watership Down is a truly wonderful book which deserves all the praise it has got, but sadly this book is very weak. It is mostly a collection of Elararah stories rather than a sequel to the original and most of those stories are not very good. There is very little clever trickery of the kind found in the Elararah stories in the original. Instead Adams relies on magical realism. There is also some rather obvious political correctness (man = bad, animals = good) as opposed to the nuance of the original. My children were very disappointed and in the end we gave up about two thirds of the way through the book. Far better not to read this book and instead preserve your wonderful memories of the original book, untarnished.
on 20 October 2015
Continues on from Watership down and gives many more stories about El-ahrairah and Rabscuttle outwitting their enemies, certainly a book for re-reading and look forward to sharing it with my son.
on 1 January 2013
End is better where it has more about the original watership down rabbits. Lots of El-arhrairah tales with Rab scuttle.